Past #31: Cameron Delaney - selected by Geelong with pick 34 in 2014 Rookie Draft - delisted end '16

Remove this Banner Ad

Cam is definitely AFL standard. He has been waiting for an opportunity for either Thompson/Grima to be injured and unfortunately he happened to be injured when his big chance arose.

I hope you're right. It seems to me that he's almost always injured/recovering from injury.

Darren Crocker was injury-prone too. However, he also played a lot of high quality AFL games along the way and very few VFL games.

I hope you're right. It seems to me that he's almost always injured/recovering from injury.

Darren Crocker was injury-prone too. However, he also played a lot of high quality AFL games along the way and very few VFL games.

never really been any serious injuries, he had a shoulder injury for 4 weeks last year when grima missed a few games, and this year its been turf toe. The club took an ultra conservative approach with the turf toe as its one of those injuries that if it doesn't heal 100% it will come back worse than the first injury.

never really been any serious injuries, he had a shoulder injury for 4 weeks last year when grima missed a few games, and this year its been turf toe. The club took an ultra conservative approach with the turf toe as its one of those injuries that if it doesn't heal 100% it will come back worse than the first injury.

I hope your belief in him is rewarded, RF. According to the Club's website, since we recruited him in the 2010 ND he's played 6 senior games. That's 2 a year, not counting this year. If he hasn't had many serious injuries he must have spent a lot of time playing for North Ballarat.

Maybe he's contracted for next year anyway. If not, he'd better play the last half of the season like it could be his last.

It would be tough considering how our back supply is looking. Wouldn't have an issue if Tippett wasn't injured and grima wasn't closer to the doutta galla aged care facilities rather then the nmfc rehab facilities.

It's good we have a replacement in similar players such as Fittito, McMahon, Macmillian, Hine, McDonald

But I feel we really do need another two kpb. A unit and a delaney/hansen type

I hope your belief in him is rewarded, RF. According to the Club's website, since we recruited him in the 2010 ND he's played 6 senior games. That's 2 a year, not counting this year. If he hasn't had many serious injuries he must have spent a lot of time playing for North ballarat

Maybe he's contracted for next year anyway. If not,
he'd better play the last half of the season like it could be his last.

He is contracted to the end of next year from memory.

In the last two-three years he could have been playing afl in he were in a side that didn't have such a strong backline. In previous seasons he was behind Thompson/grima/firrito and his brother. Then at the start of last season we swung Hansen back which made drop back down the pecking order again! I think he was always been earmarked for Grimas position once he retires or his body fails him.

It looks like Grima will miss a few more weeks and it is painfully obvious that his body is not going to cope with 22-25 games a year. We can't rely on him to be there when it matters, sadly.
Obviously Grima his best he is in the side, but the return of Cam Delaney in the VFL last weekend gives us the chance to pump some games into him in the second half of the year.
Delaney strikes me as the logical long-term assistant to Thompson and has the necessary tools.
He's tall, agile and uses the ball well. And has time on his side.
Tippett is a stop gap and Spud is there to fill the void, which he has been doing incredibly well.
Not sure how Cam went last week (haven't seen any reports?), but I'd like to see him slipped into the side once he has couple of full VFL games under his belt.
I think he is important for us heading forward.

His first game was average but only played a quarter and a half i think for 5 possessions. I agree though that he is the logical replacement for Grima and has more tools to his game

It looks like Grima will miss a few more weeks and it is painfully obvious that his body is not going to cope with 22-25 games a year. We can't rely on him to be there when it matters, sadly.
Obviously Grima his best he is in the side, but the return of Cam Delaney in the VFL last weekend gives us the chance to pump some games into him in the second half of the year.
Delaney strikes me as the logical long-term assistant to Thompson and has the necessary tools.
He's tall, agile and uses the ball well. And has time on his side.
Tippett is a stop gap and Spud is there to fill the void, which he has been doing incredibly well.
Not sure how Cam went last week (haven't seen any reports?), but I'd like to see him slipped into the side once he has couple of full VFL games under his belt.
I think he is important for us heading forward.
He played about 25% game time I think and got a handful of touches. He will be a number weeks away from selection I reckon.

come on down Frawley?

Greg Denham said nine clubs were interested. North wasn't one of them.

Would be great if Cam could get back while Narni is out, but it does sound like he's still a way off a full game, let alone seniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Greg Denham said nine clubs were interested. North wasn't one of them.

Would be great if Cam could get back while Narni is out, but it does sound like he's still a way off a full game, let alone seniors.

Excellent. If Venom didn't mention North we are in the box seat clearly.

I don't think the second half of 2014, considering the ladder and how it/we stands, is an ideal time to focus on development and 'pumping games' into Delaney.

He either earns a game on consistent and dominant VFL form or he doesn't play. The same should have been the case with Tarrant.

It is well and truly time to start delivering as a group, no excuses and not with constant visions to the future.

Never heard of him playing forward even as a junior.

To me he seems a natural defender. Shares some traits with Scotty T and even (gasp) Fletcher.
Gotcha.

The reason I asked is because he's a similar mould as A. Black - 194 cms, athletic and moves quite well across the ground.
If he's been brought up as a defender it's pretty hard to switch mid career unless your a special kind of player.

Even if we had Delaney Snr he would struggle to be in our best 22 now anyway regardless of Grima.

Thommo, Hansen and Spud are doing their job ok, and I wouldn't four talls as we lack rebound anyway. Maybe for some teams he could play a role I guess.

It's the midfielders that are the problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back