Opinion The Rebuild Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You lost me at "Everitt is a nothing player"

I lost you because you don't agree?
What does he bring to the table?
I know he has the odd okay game but what kind of player is he? He's not a great run with player, he's an average forward, an okay back but really just stuck in the middle.
Unfortunately he is in our best 22 but he won't take our list forward, merely taking up a spot we could develop someone with...

I know he has the odd okay game but what kind of player is he? He's not a great run with player, he's an average forward, an okay back but really just stuck in the middle.
Unfortunately he is in our best 22 but he won't take our list forward, merely taking up a spot we could develop someone with...

Sorry but I think you have this wrong. Everitt fits comfortably in our best 22 is a sound component of team balance.
Has the capacity to play multiple roles and is reasonably assured with the ball.
Keep.
The others you named:
Lucas: Thought improvement in Lucas to hold down a wing would mirror any improvement in the team. sadly I don't think I'm wrong and could be traded/delisted. Would like him to show something but may have currency for those teams that need an outside player.
Watson: biggest disapointment. If we could somehow wrangle a trade for Patton that involved Melonhead, Garlett and our first rounder I'd be stoked.
McLean: should be retired at years end. Too slow and now offers very little except providing opposition with a D50 exit if they play through his man.

Others that may be cleaned out include: Ellard & Armfield. (I like these guys but can we afford to keep them) Would trade Warnock also.

We've already lost Duigan, Scotto and Bootsma

Sorry but I think you have this wrong. Everitt fits comfortably in our best 22 is a sound component of team balance.
Has the capacity to play multiple roles and is reasonably assured with the ball.
Keep.
The others you named:
Lucas: Thought improvement in Lucas to hold down a wing would mirror any improvement in the team. sadly I don't think I'm wrong and could be traded/delisted. Would like him to show something but may have currency for those teams that need an outside player.
Watson: biggest disapointment. If we could somehow wrangle a trade for Patton that involved Melonhead, Garlett and our first rounder I'd be stoked.
McLean: should be retired at years end. Too slow and now offers very little except providing opposition with a D50 exit if they play through his man.

Others that may be cleaned out include: Ellard & Armfield. (I like these guys but can we afford to keep them) Would trade Warnock also.

I agree that Everitt is in our best 22 but I feel he is not going to be there when we take the next step forward, so why bother keeping him now? Maybe for a year or two until we find someone else.

I agree with you mostly, Ellard, Army, Lucas, Watson, McLean unfortunately don't offer much. I love Army as he tries hard (similar to Mitch) but he's just not up to it...

Keep.
The others you named:

I'm one of the hardest markers going and even I wouldn't flick Kenny. He's a handy player for us right now, he's clearly better than a high number of the players presently at the club. Sometime in the future, his role in the team & overall value will need to be reassessed subject to the rest of the playing list that has been assembled but that is then, not now.

Scotland, Duigan, Bootsma are already gone. McLean, Temay, Garlett, Waite, Lucas, McInness, Ellard, Cachia seem like they are on the way out as their contracts expire this year.

This equates to as many as 11 changes to the list, big turnover but its what's needed.

Judd & Menzel also run out of contract this year but you'd expect those to be looked after.

The club has some work to do with Robinson, Rowe, White, Casboult, Graham who also run out of contract this year but most would expect an extension to be offered this year to most if not all.

We also have Armfield, Warnock, Carrazzo & Watson contracted to next year as well.

Overall, those in charge of the list management has an enormous workload in front of them right now.

You lost me because saying he's a nothing is wildly inaccurate and an exaggeration. There are a fair few others who should lose their spots before he does. He's composed and kicks accurately--which is more than I can say for quite a few of our players.

I agree that Everitt is in our best 22 but I feel he is not going to be there when we take the next step forward, so why bother keeping him now? Maybe for a year or two until we find someone else.

I agree with you mostly, Ellard, Army, Lucas, Watson, McLean unfortunately don't offer much. I love Army as he tries hard (similar to Mitch) but he's just not up to it...

Everitt is 25. Whether he is there or not depends more on how long it takes to turn it around.

has a good 5 years of decent footy in him maybe longer.

i think a starting point is to look at the list in terms of who should still be contributing at the level required in say 2 years time. To improve we need a core of players who will be contributing strongly, say 30 of them, in 2 years.

Have we got a group like that?

Probables in two years:
Murphy, Menzel, Gibbs, Buckley, Keuezer, Yarran, Docherty, Rowe, Henderson, Graham, Bell, Curnow, Levi, The Irishman, Cripps, Everitt, Robbo

Senior Players on "Last Legs"
Simpson, Walker, jamison

Possibles

Holman, Reynolds, Johnson, Giles, Lucas, Watson, Garlett

We are a few short.

Last edited:
Does anyone think we should hang on to any of the following players next year? (Delist or trade)

• Lucas
  • McLean
  • Watson
  • Everitt (he is such a nothing player)
  • Garlett
I would happily lose them for nothing

Interesting.

THREE posts since 2011 & all today!

I'm one of the hardest markers going and even I wouldn't flick Kenny. He's a handy player for us right now, he's clearly better than a high number of the players presently at the club. Sometime in the future, his role in the team & overall value will need to be reassessed subject to the rest of the playing list that has been assembled but that is then, not now.

Scotland, Duigan, Bootsma are already gone. McLean, Temay, Garlett, Waite, Lucas, McInness, Ellard, Cachia seem like they are on the way out as their contracts expire this year.

This equates to as many as 11 changes to the list, big turnover but its what's needed.

Judd & Menzel also run out of contract this year but you'd expect those to be looked after.

The club has some work to do with Robinson, Rowe, White, Casboult, Graham who also run out of contract this year but most would expect an extension to be offered this year to most if not all.

We also have Armfield, Warnock, Carrazzo & Watson contracted to next year as well.

Overall, those in charge of the list management has an enormous workload in front of them right now.

They'd wanna start rewarding this guy and give him a decent stint at an AFL spot..........could just decide his over being ignored and move on at years end........

They'd wanna start rewarding this guy and give him a decent stint at an AFL spot..........could just decide his over being ignored and move on at years end........

maybe, but I think it has more to do with how he is being managed. If he feels he has some clarity in terms of the required improvement and a clear idea of the developmental pathway to reach those standards, he is likley to stay IMO.

As an outsider who has seen limited amounts of Graham, the parts I have seen scream leadership potential. If the coaching heirachy agree with this assessment they will have told him. Just adds tio the liklihood that he will be running around in navy for a while yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with all of this.
We desperately need to keep turning the list over in search of quality. 11 changes is a huge number particularly after 10 last year.

Didn't realise Watto & Army were contracted next year. Just makes managing the list even trickier.

On what has been a poo year. I'm thrilled to see the look of our list come 2015. No matter what happens, it cannot get much worse. Ladder position for 2015 could be worse, but talent on the list will improve.

This will be a hard road ahead and I don't want quick fixes. I wouldn't want the club to trade for anyone over the age of 23. Bring in talented youth through the draft and maybe 1-2 from another club. Don't burn all our picks on one or 2 good players, that will only leave us further in a hole.

This will take years and i'm excited about what is to come in 2016 and beyond!
Youth, Youth, Youth!

On what has been a poo year. I'm thrilled to see the look of our list come 2015. No matter what happens, it cannot get much worse. Ladder position for 2015 could be worse, but talent on the list will improve.

This will be a hard road ahead and I don't want quick fixes. I wouldn't want the club to trade for anyone over the age of 23. Bring in talented youth through the draft and maybe 1-2 from another club. Don't burn all our picks on one or 2 good players, that will only leave us further in a hole.

This will take years and i'm excited about what is to come in 2016 and beyond!
Youth, Youth, Youth!

Agree! I feel if we draft smart then we could do a Port (maybe not as successfully!) but hopefully something similar

Wouldn't be trading Everitt, if you can't see that he's a decent player then you're in trouble! Sure he doesn't anticipate things well all the time but he's a great kick, kicks goals from the midfield, finds enough of the ball and is a better run with player then you think he is.

Wouldn't be trading Everitt, if you can't see that he's a decent player then you're in trouble! Sure he doesn't anticipate things well all the time but he's a great kick, kicks goals from the midfield, finds enough of the ball and is a better run with player then you think he is.

I agree he is decent I just don't think he has much upside. I also don't think he's very consistent coupled with the fact that he is a poor decision maker when it's hot in the kitchen! (IMO obviously).

I doubt McLean will be retired.
He's a walk up start at present and is one of our only vocal leaders, if nothing else I'd keep him around as depth and to teach the kids coming up via Preston.

The issue is he shouldn't be a walk up start ;)
True, I just think it's crazy that people are wanting to cut ties with someone who (on exposed form) is in our best side.
In saying that, hopefully in coming years Graham, Crippa and draftees will push McLean and other battlers further down the pecking order.

Waite, Temay, McLean, Cachia & Ellard delisted. 5 picks in the draft there + 3 retired/sacked already. Means we probably don't even need to give Carrots the tap on the shoulder

Would put the likes of Garlett, Lucas & Watson up for trade with certain players who actually do have trade currency like Walker & Warnock/Kruezer. If we didn't get anything for the first 2 they'd be off too being out of contract but even though they probably will turn out to be good elsewhere.

Hold on to McInnes still only 22 and is a decent back up to Rowe, Jammo & White.

Mick got it spot on saying there is just too many triers on this list and not enough good footballers. Hopefully with some good trades and 6-8 well taken picks (more likely to win Powerball with our old recruiters) the list will stop being clogged by too many average footballers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back