Preview Prematch Discussion Round 17: Essendon (Folks, pls read thread rules in OP, ta)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dropping White was a mistake. Grundy needs to be put in cotton wool until next season or until Witts loses form.

In White Elliot Maxwell
Out Dwyer Grundy and one more, perhaps Blair but maybe Langdon.

I think it was about the message not whether it was good or bad for the team. Think it will be good for White longer term and I think he will be back this week.

On the game itself, I think you blokes will win.

Our forward line just isn't up to it right now. Don't get me wrong though, in a year or two I think it'll be in the top handful in the league.

Now our midfield is pretty damn good, we win more than enough ball and get it inside 50 enough. The problem is, we have to dominate a midfield in order to get enough of an advantage to overcome our shortcomings up forward. And against you guys with an equally talented midfield that seems unlikely. Ryder will give us first use, but I don't think it'll be enough.

Goddard is a HUGE loss. Massive. With him out we're missing not only our two best midfielders, but our two best leaders. You just can't replace players of that calibre.

Our defensive line is very, very good - one of the best in the league. If you guys bomb it in wildly, particularly if Cloke is well held - we'll cut you to shreds. We rebound with the best of them.

I say in all honestly (and I don't want this misconstrued as an excuse) that if Watson and Goddard were both in we win this game by several goals. As it stands, I think their loss is too great to overcome, and your midfield will get on top.

Pies by 5-6 goals.
You're kiddiing right watson and goddard are equal to 10+ plus turn around. Nah if you say so mate.

I think it was about the message not whether it was good or bad for the team. Think it will be good for White longer term and I think he will be back this week.

The message I learned is that we wont see Grundy and Witts together again in 2014. As others have mentioned it may be a good time to debut Karnesiz in black and white. Running out of time to find the right mix in the absence of Reid.

You're kiddiing right watson and goddard are equal to 10+ plus turn around. Nah if you say so mate.

Maybe up to 10 goals but yeah, pretty much.

As I said, where we lose this game is in the midfield - those two make a massive difference to our midfield capabilities.

Rocket said yesterday that they expect him to play in the VFL again. I think they should roll the dice but clearly they don't think he is ready. With Elliott, White and hopefully Karnezis coming in to join Cloke and Kennedy, our forward line looks far more potent. Maxy will also provide some much needed stability in the backline. I think we are in with a great chance of winning and hopefully finding some form over the next few weeks.

Didn't Rocket say they expect Reidy to play. Didn't say whether it would be VFL or AFL. I think if they feel this is a must win (it is) and they really need help in the backline, Reidy will play

Was never going to get off anyway. Even if Goddard was playing, we would still flog the druggos. It's as simple as that.

I wouldn't be so sure - we're certainly good enough to beat the Pies.

Broom head has to come in. On a wet ground where people were losing their footing and the ball was slippery, he was as clean as a cucumber and his kicking was really somethig special.

Karnezis was also clean but only had the 9 touches, but 6 of them scoring shots. He is potent and we need him in the side. A bit like Wonderlich can punish us with minimal touches, I think karnezis will do some damage.

On second thoughts...white doesn't come in.11 touches and 4 marks really isn't a good enough return for someone who was a monster compared to most others.

I think Grundy needs to play 75% ruck and Witts to go fwd instead of bringing in White.

Played on Waite most of the first 3 quarters and an occasional run on Watson... played forward/ruck later against Wood... pretty handy opposition really and don't see how he's any more a monster than any of them.

Why because you beat Port? We have your measure and should get the job done quite easily.

Amongst other things yes.

Also beaten North, Adelaide, Got close to Hawks and Geelong (and the Cats game was a blatant umpire robbery). So yes, we can beat you.

Doesn't mean we will mind you (as I said earlier I'm picking your blokes) - but it's very much an each way game.

Really? Which side of the ground were you on?

I had a kick on the wing on the other side to the interchange benches and my ball was pretty wet after the half time kick.

On Karnezis... I suppose you have to weight up who is going to create more goals? Him or Blair. I'm thinking Karnezis at this stage.

There was 1 or 2 misty showers, insufficient to even require people to seek shelter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amongst other things yes.

Also beaten North, Adelaide, Got close to Hawks and Geelong (and the Cats game was a blatant umpire robbery). So yes, we can beat you.

Doesn't mean we will mind you (as I said earlier I'm picking your blokes) - but it's very much an each way game.

You are a chance for sure. It will be upsetting if we lost again (twice in a row for the second time this year), so I just doubt that it will happen.

P.S. Any tips on how to beat Port? :p

To be fair, I don't 'hate' the man (I don't know him), but I 'hate' the player.

IMO there are two types of players that I absolutely despise - dirty players (ala Judd, Ballantyne) and those that breach the 'spirit' of the game even if they don't breach a rule (Caff falls here).

And Essendon have never had any players that push the boundaries of the rules... yeah, right!

P.S. Any tips on how to beat Port? :p

That was a freakin MASTERCLASS by Bomber......

Close down their space. Easier said than done I know, but with their high octane game, if you shut down their run you can beat them.

Think it was summarised like this:

1. Close the space, giving them minimal to no time to make a decision (we spent large parts of the game pushed up REALLY high)
2. Rebound quickly to catch the very free flowing Port out (Winders and Stanton back was bloody genius)
3. Be direct with the ball (we had an insanely low possession count compared to average)

And Essendon have never had any players that push the boundaries of the rules... yeah, right!

Oh I'm sure we have players that flat out break the rules - but as I said earlier that was not what I said about Caff.

Close down their space. Easier said than done I know, but with their high octane game, if you shut down their run you can beat them.

1. Close the space, giving them minimal to no time to make a decision (we spent large parts of the game pushed up REALLY high)
2. Rebound quickly to catch the very free flowing Port out (Winders and Stanton back was bloody genius)
3. Be direct with the ball (we had an insanely low possession count compared to average)

Do you mind if I email this to Bucks? :D

Would rather beat a full strength team to be honest as it shows you where you are.

Lets face it, you take what wins you can - because nobody shows you any sympathy when you drop games with half your team out.

Not helped at all by the fact Port had a season high 9 players with U50 games experience...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back