Preview Prematch Discussion Round 17: Essendon (Folks, pls read thread rules in OP, ta)

Remove this Banner Ad

Or the IV drip at Brisbane, Sheedy tying the windsock down etc etc.....

I don't agree that Hocking and Caff are similar in approach at all. Whilst I agree that most taggers scrag on occasion, I genuinely don't have many recollections of watching Caff when he wasn't scragging in a contest - its just ugly, grimy football.
Well done, I knew there were examples - just couldn't remember them;)
I will watch Hocking with interest, as I have always thought he scragged Pendles - time will tell.

Well done, I knew there were examples - just couldn't remember them;)
I will watch Hocking with interest, as I have always thought he scragged Pendles - time will tell.

If he does, I hope he bloody well gets called for it - god its a blight on the game.

Bring Reid and White in, we need to try the 3 tall forwardline that we had alot of preseason training put into, so why not try it against one of the best 3 tall backlines in the league.
Max comes in, and i would love to see Patty K come in, his VFL performances well and truly warrant it and he has huge upside, his creativity at half forward will be very handy.
Then theres Bally who will probably come straight back in, like to see him as the sub.

Agree. I don't care if Reid is not match fit. Get him into the seniors now and get him fit through there.

Ins:

Maxwell
Elliot
Ball
Karnezis
White
Martin (If fit -but think he is set to miss again)

Outs:

Grundy - been an imobile hack past month
Dwyer - got a knock but seems to struggle to run out games
Thomas - lost the magic of last year having missed pre-season
Young - just makes unforgivable mistakes
Blair - does some good stuff just not enough of it
Hertier - not doing what we need which is provide run, carry and penetration

Oh, and I'd make Swanny the sub this week

I know he hasn't been at his best but can't afford to take out the experience he brings to the team and more importantly the backline.

How we are favourites for this game is beyond me.

I would be pretty shocked if we won this game, we are terrible at the moment and our winning streak over Essendon can't go on forever.

Early tip is Essendon by 30 points

Shocked if we won this game? Why? Because we lost to a valiant Gold Coast and Port were beaten by the Bombers? I for one think we should win this game easily. Despite our form, we are just the better team on paper. There's no way we will drop two in a row. FFS, finals are on the line and Bucks better get the boys fired up.

good god, if Kommer is best 22 then forget about us. Gleeson is way more "best 22" than Kommer but not even he makes it to be realistic
Thanks for some sanity. Watson and Goddard are huge losses however. Really for us with the team we will put out only Reid and maybe Brown ( Elliot and Maxwell to hopefully play) would add any drastic improvement.

Correct me if wrong but I remember you guys were missing quite a few last time and still was a close game.

When it comes to injuries...there are few teams in the AFL that could say they have more out than us.

That said, the loss of Goddard and Watson clearly evens the playing field up as that's probably their 2 best players.

It now means we can lock down on Heppell and Zaharakis who are the form players for now. I'd consider running Marley on Zaharakis and Macaffer of Heppell. I think if we shut these 2 down, then Bombers just won't have enough through the middle to match Pendles, Swan, Ball, Beams, Sidebottom, Adams, Kennedy, Young and Josh Thomas.

I'm usually against 2 tight tags...but in this case, considering Essendon's midfield is missing 2 absolute guns, I'd strongly considering shutting the 2 remaining guns out.

In terms of changes, I'd go:

In: Elliott, White, Maxwell, Ball

Out; Dwyer, Grundy, Blair, Thomas/Adams (probably don't need both if Ball is playing)....Lumuma considers himself very lucky, but he stays in because he provides outside run...and with Maxwell back it might free him up.

I think Buckley is going to have to consider Karnezis very strongly this week as well...and if Martin is fit then he surely comes into consideration. Clearly our deficiency is the forward line...which the inclusion of Elliott somewhat eases. However, we still need 1 more legitimate scoring threat forward.

When it comes to injuries...there are few teams in the AFL that could say they have more out than us.

That said, the loss of Goddard and Watson clearly evens the playing field up as that's probably their 2 best players.

It now means we can lock down on Heppell and Zaharakis who are the form players for now. I'd consider running Marley on Zaharakis and Macaffer of Heppell. I think if we shut these 2 down, then Bombers just won't have enough through the middle to match Pendles, Swan, Ball, Beams, Sidebottom, Adams, Kennedy, Young and Josh Thomas.

I'm usually against 2 tight tags...but in this case, considering Essendon's midfield is missing 2 absolute guns, I'd strongly considering shutting the 2 remaining guns out.

Out; Dwyer, Grundy, Blair, Thomas/Adams (probably don't need both if Ball is playing)....Lumuma considers himself very lucky, but he stays in because he provides outside run...and with Maxwell back it might free him up.

I think Buckley is going to have to consider Karnezis very strongly this week as well...and if Martin is fit then he surely comes into consideration. Clearly our deficiency is the forward line...which the inclusion of Elliott somewhat eases. However, we still need 1 more legitimate scoring threat forward.

Would love to see Karnezis in the side this week. We need a spark in the forward line and I think he can provide it. Our forward line is just stagnant so why not try something different and bring him in. Nothing to lose imo.

Good post.

Nice to see the conversation go back on topic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, but who would you take out for Karnezis?
Adams will get dropped I think.
It seems Bucks is quick to penalize the new guys for a bad game but will keep the experienced guys in regardless.
As much as I don't want to see it happen it wouldn't surprise me.
Having said that I doubt PK will be given a game. 4 goals is a good return but he doesn't do enough of the defensive stuff, the pressure. And surely pressure would be part of his KPI's.
If martin is fit I would prefer to see him come in before PK.

Please keep it on topic guys.
This is not the place for any reference to Hird. There are many others places to do that.

It adds to the pre-match discussion to have input from opposition supporters, so let's keep it friendly

Adams will get dropped I think.
It seems Bucks is quick to penalize the new guys for a bad game but will keep the experienced guys in regardless.
As much as I don't want to see it happen it wouldn't surprise me.
Having said that I doubt PK will be given a game. 4 goals is a good return but he doesn't do enough of the defensive stuff, the pressure. And surely pressure would be part of his KPI's.
If martin is fit I would prefer to see him come in before PK.
Not sure if serious about the KPI's ;)

With regards to Adams though I was assuming that Yidaki was going to include Karnezis as well as the ins in Dave86's post, who already had Adams out.

edit: after re-reading I now realise that none of your post was serious. My mistake - as you were.

Not sure if serious about the KPI's ;)

With regards to Adams though I was assuming that Yidaki was going to include Karnezis as well as the ins in Dave86's post, who already had Adams out.

edit: after re-reading I now realise that none of your post was serious. My mistake - as you were.
Good point. I should do my research a bit better before I write a half cynical post. :D

I agree with your changes Dave and also agree that Karnezis should be strongly considered. I would drop Goldsack for him.

So who does Caff go to? Zaharakis or Heppell?
Zaharakis myself, but I wouldn't care if he went to Heppell either.

Haven't looked at the stats but I reckon Zaha is a little more damaging going forward than Heppell, and if Caff can shut him down it leaves it to very few to do the job for them.

Zaharakis myself, but I wouldn't care if he went to Heppell either.

Haven't looked at the stats but I reckon Zaha is a little more damaging going forward than Heppell, and if Caff can shut him down it leaves it to very few to do the job for them.

And we know what Zaharkis can do with his Run and Carry

Remove this Banner Ad

Back