Port Adelaide would go broke in 3 years under current Adelaide Oval contract

Article here: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-under-adelaide-oval-deal-20140710-zt3a3.html

Remember reading something about the deal being bad earlier this year, didn't realise it was this bad. If both clubs are filling a 50,000 seat stadium but still aren't making a profit, something is fundamentally wrong.

What the hell's going on over there. Do the SANFL have THAT much sway and influence? Or are both clubs just terrible at negotiating?

Last edited:
They do mention it's the early games this season the outgoings were ridiculous. This has since been brought back to something sustainable? We see 70 cents in the dollar it will work out ok.

What in the actual...how the * does the SANFL have that much sway?

Tell you what, if it doesn't improve Port should consider building a 30,000 seater at Alberton. Radical, I know, but if the SANFL are going to so constantly try and * them then they will need to be radical to survive.

They do mention it's the early games this season the outgoings were ridiculous. This has since been brought back to something sustainable? We see 70 cents in the dollar it will work out ok.

Yes, it seems like an alarmist piece to me. I've alsdo learnt over the years to take mo0st of what Ian Collins says with a grain of salt. Crows and Power should be just fine at Adelaide Oval.

Why weren't Collo's warnings heeded?

Hopefully the July 18 review will lead to changes favouring the two SA clubs receiving a more equitable share of the gate takings.

Question though, how does the SANFL have so much power over the AFL? Or am I missing something here?

Article here: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-under-adelaide-oval-deal-20140710-zt3a3.html

Remember reading something about the deal being bad earlier this year, didn't realise it was this bad. If both clubs are filling a 50,000 seat stadium but still aren't making a profit, something is fundamentally wrong.

What the hell's going on over there. Do the SANFL have THAT much sway and influence? Or are both clubs just terrible at negotiating?
im sure the SANFL use to own the licence to the power and Crows

Not really, clubs are being ****** over at the Docklands as well.
what gets me is clubs gets screwed over at etihad & now Adeliade oval attracting 39k plus crowds in SA 45kplus crowds every week and are loosing money.

how the F$%^ does the NRL manage to organise good stadium deals, the Broncos as suncorp only get 20 to 30k, allianz stadium & ANZ stadium constantly play in front of 15k in NSW & the storm at aami park rearly get over 15k:confused:
we never hear them whinging about bad stadium deals

Not really, clubs are being ****** over at the Docklands as well.
At least there is a reason for that as by 2021 or something like that the AFL will own docklands.

Yeah. Private investors making hay while the sun shines and the sun is setting soon.

Adelaide Oval? Run purely to line the pockets of the SANFL with a skerrick of the revenues generated reaching the tenants who actually, you know, generate the revenue.

Cmon now guys, how else would the SANFL make enough money to pay these delisted AFL players that weren't quite good enough commanding 60k a year to play for your Norwoods, your Sturts, your Souths, your Wests etc.

What in the actual...how the **** does the SANFL have that much sway?

Tell you what, if it doesn't improve Port should consider building a 30,000 seater at Alberton. Radical, I know, but if the SANFL are going to so constantly try and **** them then they will need to be radical to survive.

They don't have the money and I doubt the state government would chip in.

They don't have the money and I doubt the state government would chip in.

Yeah, the state government already chipped in $600,000,000+ so we could secure our the SANFL and cricket's future at Adelaide Oval.

What in the actual...how the **** does the SANFL have that much sway?

Tell you what, if it doesn't improve Port should consider building a 30,000 seater at Alberton. Radical, I know, but if the SANFL are going to so constantly try and **** them then they will need to be radical to survive.

We'd love nothing more but money...if we make any the SANFL make sure they grab it first through dodgy stadium deals. We're caught in a catch 22

They don't. They're being kicked around by the AFL just like everyone else.

Give over- the SANFL have been given a dream run. It's the SANFL clubs that get screwed over. They're not the same thing.

what gets me is clubs gets screwed over at etihad & now Adeliade oval attracting 39k plus crowds in SA 45kplus crowds every week and are loosing money.

how the F$%^ does the NRL manage to organise good stadium deals, the Broncos as suncorp only get 20 to 30k, allianz stadium & ANZ stadium constantly play in front of 15k in NSW & the storm at aami park rearly get over 15k:confused:
we never hear them whinging about bad stadium deals

Politics- the clubs make sure they're looked after by the political parties.

The SANFL is headed by corruption soaked former premier John Olsen. Premier Weatherall is supposed to be a Port man but fat lot of good he's been!

American football model. all teams privately owned, stadiums either privately owned or owned by council and operated by the club directly. you should see their profit numbers. probably not enough money in circulation in AFL or Australia probably to do that now but that's what we really need to be aiming for.

Back