The Hip Hop Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty glad this thread seems to have moved on from debating Wayne and Hopsin...

Pharoahe Monch has been underrated for years I reckon... pity he only seems to be remotely known for that Simon Says song. When he's on his game, he's absolute fire... his verse in this is surely one of the greatest verses of all time:

The only thing I hate about Monch is that he sometimes tries TOO hard in regards to his wordplay...

Been getting into the Joell Ortiz and Stack Bundles. Just some grimy blokes from NY with some good wordplay at times.

Masterpiece right here folks.

a6a190a76e811cadacfaadfd5a2f90f2.300x225x25.gif

Masterpiece right here folks.

Everyone's going on about this on FB/rap forums but I don't get the big deal. He's done better ones before. It sounds forced and it's hardly covering new ground.

He is emotive in a very natural way which I really like in an emcee and it's not terrible but I think people are just jumping on it because of the subject matter without actually looking at it as a whole. Hopsin's capable of better.

I like the guy but a lot of his material seems unfocused lyrically, he's the kind of dude I reckon will be dope in a few years.

Anyone know some good melancholy hip hop? Talking an album full of De La's Dinninit...

Death is Silent by Kno is one of the more morose and depressing albums I've heard. Even in the more 'upbeat' tracks the production (which is fantastic throughout) has this dark air.

Cage's stuff is probably worth a mention but I don't really enjoy any of his albums apart from Hell's Winter (which I love, but probably fits what you want less).

Obligatory mention for Gravediggaz too - The Pick, The Sickle and The Shovel is probably the best of theirs for what you're looking for.

I know those recommendations are pretty scattered but it's difficult to find something close to De La, so think of them as more broad :p

Everyone's going on about this on FB/rap forums but I don't get the big deal. He's done better ones before. It sounds forced and it's hardly covering new ground.

He is emotive in a very natural way which I really like in an emcee and it's not terrible but I think people are just jumping on it because of the subject matter without actually looking at it as a whole. Hopsin's capable of better.

I like the guy but a lot of his material seems unfocused lyrically, he's the kind of dude I reckon will be dope in a few years.
You can say a lot of things about this, but "forced" isn't one. He mentioned on his facebook page a couple of weeks ago that "This is for sure the realest s**t I have ever written in my whole career. my family will look at me different after this one." You can really feel what he's on about. It was raw emotion and expressive thoughts. It takes lots of courage for someone to make a song about their views on religion due to the amount of critique and judgement they receive from the public. I think he nailed it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can say a lot of things about this, but "forced" isn't one. He mentioned on his facebook page a couple of weeks ago that "This is for sure the realest s**t I have ever written in my whole career. my family will look at me different after this one." You can really feel what he's on about. It was raw emotion and expressive thoughts. It takes lots of courage for someone to make a song about their views on religion due to the amount of critique and judgement they receive from the public. I think he nailed it.

I think the delivery is certainly real and from the heart, but I found the lyrical content forced. Should have clarified. Too many sections of the lyrics seem like misdirected anger rather than actually speaking on the topic, there's a lot of generic 'what have I done' stuff in there.

I realise I'm well in the minority though and I respect that he's put himself on the line for it. I just didn't think it landed as well as he would have hoped. But if it works for many others (as it seems to have done) I'll put it down to just having a difference of opinion.

The fact you called it a masterpiece made me lol

I think the delivery is certainly real and from the heart, but I found the lyrical content forced. Should have clarified. Too many sections of the lyrics seem like misdirected anger rather than actually speaking on the topic, there's a lot of generic 'what have I done' stuff in there.
The lyrics are blunt and simple. It is definitely anger, he is questioning his belief in Christianity and has his doubts about God.
I just didn't think it landed as well as he would have hoped.
In terms of public feedback? He was 100% aware there were going to be people who wouldn't like it. I think it was more for him, he needed to get stuff off his chest kind of thing.

The lyrics are blunt and simple. It is definitely anger, he is questioning his belief in Christianity and has his doubts about God.

In terms of public feedback? He was 100% aware there were going to be people who wouldn't like it. I think it was more for him, he needed to get stuff off his chest kind of thing.

I feel like I've said my piece and we're not going to agree so I'd rather not continue. I have issues with it that you obviously don't and that's fine :thumbsu:

No, in terms of me personally. Making an anti-religion song is hardly going to worry someone like Hopsin. I think he got it off his chest well, it just didn't resonate with me. I think it lacks focus lyrically. I really like the delivery though, like I said.

I feel like I've said my piece and we're not going to agree so I'd rather not continue. I have issues with it that you obviously don't and that's fine :thumbsu:

No, in terms of me personally. Making an anti-religion song is hardly going to worry someone like Hopsin. I think he got it off his chest well, it just didn't resonate with me. I think it lacks focus lyrically. I really like the delivery though, like I said.
All good.

I don't get the bolded, though. The lyrical content in this song is 100% valid. Can you reference me a bar that you don't think makes sense?

His songs re more likely to be regarded as masterpieces than Hopsin.

Tha Carter II, Tha Carter III, The Dedication, Dedication 2.

Stay ignorant hater
Haha.

Why are you even posting in rap thread if you think Lil Wayne has twice as many classics as Eminem? You will get merked if you post that on a site like rap genius.

Hopsin > Daylight > Lil Wayne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back