Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to quote for emphasis
Wh
Sorry but I think the damage was done for at least some of the players during the incident. Plus many players don't actually listen to the half time message.
There is a lot of research on how introverted and extroverted people react to positive and negative situations. My point is simply that at least some of our team would not have reacted positively to the Mick-Lingy incident.

In the post match interview he was pretty terse but answered the questions politely enough... until someone raised the subject of "the past week". :rolleyes:
Then with almost a grim little smile that seemed to say "I knew you couldn't resist bringing that up again," Mick stood up, picked up his notes and ended the interview.

Fair enough I say. Muppets. If you're back to that, then you've clearly run out of questions about the match, so it's end of interview.
And Mick couldn't resist reacting as he often does. Works both ways but not a good look for us as we struggle with membership numbers.

What a joke. Mick was exactly the same last year. You just didn't care because we were winning.
I found it interesting that a number of the media pundits said today Blues fans should be happy the team is heading in the right direction. One win over quality opposition and we're back in town. Have I missed something for the past 6 seasons?? Mick got lucky last year with Essendon debacle and we've gone backwards this year. While our win over North was fantastic until we CONSISTENTLY beat teams above us we are not moving anywhere IMO!

If Mick just pushed aside his ego and behaved normally this would go away just as quick as it came up. Does anyone disagree with this?

Problem is it hasn't come up that quickly. Been there for decades. Media are more likely to get antsy now because

a: there are more of them looking for a cheap headline
b: most of them are precious little wallflowers that can't take the heat when it's turned on them
c: MM now coaches Carlton. We've been on the outer since the John Elliot led debacle and most of the anti Carlton media cheer squad have an agenda.

The AFL media are vultures.

They will probe for weakness (as they did with Ratten) and if the club flinches, or someone makes a mistake then they swarm in for the kill.

A sacked coach sells papers.

They'll pick off the weak of mind. Can't see Mick losing in a a battle of the willing.

When you said 'probing', if you meant inane, repetitive, meaningless, asinine, frivolous, banal, monotonous, pointless etc etc etc, I'd agree with you.

Example…the presser after North someone asked a question worth answering (Mick commented and said 'good question') so they received a thoughtful and measured response.

Tripe like, 'Player X got injured, is that a concern?' or, 'How bad is Menzel's knee?' gets smacked down because they are lazy, bullshit questions that go nowhere and are asked only for some grab that can possibly become the next bullshit out-of-context headline.

MICK BLAMES INJURIES FOR LOSS

I'd be pretty fed up after 30 years of thinking up bullshit responses to bullshit questions as well. And for the record, Mick CAN BE a grumpy old prick, but there's all sorts on this planet of ours. People are just using this as something else to have a whinge about.
Super post that.

And Mick couldn't resist reacting as he often does. Works both ways but not a good look for us as we struggle with membership numbers.

We have always struggled for membership numbers, even in the halcyon days when we were winning premiership after premiership. Carlton fans have always been happy in the main to be supporters rather than members, this pre-dates Mick by some 40 years.

We have always struggled for membership numbers, even in the halcyon days when we were winning premiership after premiership. Carlton fans have always been happy in the main to be supporters rather than members, this pre-dates Mick by some 40 years.
Which begs the question of why our membership department hasn't embraced innovative ways to move our numbers into the stratosphere. I remember the days when Hawthorn (not long after suggestions of it having to merge with another club to survive) managed to increase its membership almost double within two years.

I've been a dick when it comes to Mick, but from here on in I will trust the ol' fella to construct a list to take us to the top of the ladder,if I don't care,what should it matter?!.

When you said 'probing', if you meant inane, repetitive, meaningless, asinine, frivolous, banal, monotonous, pointless etc etc etc, I'd agree with you.

Example…the presser after North someone asked a question worth answering (Mick commented and said 'good question') so they received a thoughtful and measured response.

Tripe like, 'Player X got injured, is that a concern?' or, 'How bad is Menzel's knee?' gets smacked down because they are lazy, bullshit questions that go nowhere and are asked only for some grab that can possibly become the next bullshit out-of-context headline.

MICK BLAMES INJURIES FOR LOSS

I'd be pretty fed up after 30 years of thinking up bullshit responses to bullshit questions as well. And for the record, Mick CAN BE a grumpy old prick, but there's all sorts on this planet of ours. People are just using this as something else to have a whinge about.

Can't fault that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Mick just pushed aside his ego and behaved normally this would go away just as quick as it came up. Does anyone disagree with this?
I disagree entirely. If we were in the top four the media would have nothing to write about or question him over.

The last thing he should be criticised for is how he deals with the pricks in the media, the way they conduct themselves they deserve every negative reaction they get.

I disagree entirely. If we were in the top four the media would have nothing to write about or question him over.

The last thing he should be criticised for is how he deals with the pricks in the media, the way they conduct themselves they deserve every negative reaction they get.

Not true, you need to represent the club properly. I really don't see what the issue is, the club themselves have spoken to him about it, it's a no brainer. Re your point about being in the top four, Mick behaves immaturely when he loses so no you are wrong IMO.

i have been very critical of mick malthouse over the past two years, but Fridays on field performance was excellent and hopefully we are starting to see improvement. The side is starting to come together and I think the writing is on the wall for quite a few players which I think is a good thing, so at least we can hopefully keep improving and if we see this I think we will all get behind the coaching staff.

I'm not sure why people think we have gone backwards this year. We're dealing with a new coach who clearly came in with a different game plan and different expectations to Ratts....you can't change the the mindet of a group of players overnight but I now see a team that is now working harder and winning more contested footy than previously. We've seen Gibbs take his game to another level, Murphy gorwing into the captaincy role, Yaz getting some consistency into his game. We've also discovered Rowe as a backman, seen Casboult take a massive leap and introduce Everitt and Docherty. There have been good signs from the kids too, particularly Menz and Buckley.

We've had a few bad losses but losing to teams like Melbourne, Brisbane and GWS isn't his fault. We've discovered a few holes we didn't know about previoulsy (particularly in terms of midfield depth) but again, that's not his fault. Can anyone really say that Mick hasn't had a positive effect on the playing group so far?

Which begs the question of why our membership department hasn't embraced innovative ways to move our numbers into the stratosphere. I remember the days when Hawthorn (not long after suggestions of it having to merge with another club to survive) managed to increase its membership almost double within two years.
Hawthorn have 10000 Tassie Members ,they play at the G very few have reserved seating our revenue is equal to theirs even with them having more members.

I'm not sure why people think we have gone backwards this year. We're dealing with a new coach who clearly came in with a different game plan and different expectations to Ratts....you can't change the the mindet of a group of players overnight but I now see a team that is now working harder and winning more contested footy than previously. We've seen Gibbs take his game to another level, Murphy gorwing into the captaincy role, Yaz getting some consistency into his game. We've also discovered Rowe as a backman, seen Casboult take a massive leap and introduce Everitt and Docherty. There have been good signs from the kids too, particularly Menz and Buckley.

We've had a few bad losses but losing to teams like Melbourne, Brisbane and GWS isn't his fault. We've discovered a few holes we didn't know about previoulsy (particularly in terms of midfield depth) but again, that's not his fault. Can anyone really say that Mick hasn't had a positive effect on the playing group so far?
Well said mate a I agree Mick is taking us in the right direction and you can see that from the game on Friday night if we can just get some consistency and play four quarters all this criticism of Mick will drop off then those oxygen thieves in the media will have nothing to write about might have to start looking at the behaviour of other coaches to make a headline .

Not totally. My view is Mick is undoubtedly a great coach with a stunning CV. However, he is a coach from a largely bygone era and what we need is a younger, more innovative coach. It's been 2 decades since our last flag - it took Mick a decade to get his last flag with the Pies. I don't want to be around in another decade hoping we're about to come good. The performances under Mick are on a par with what Ratts achieved. We've had two super coaches (Pagan and MM) and to be honest not much has changed. Both Wayne Brittain and Ratts were stabbed in the back by the club yet both connected with the playing list and moved them forward. The Board pins so much on a proven coach yet so far it hasn't worked! What am I missing??

Come on mate ... Mick won a premiership not even 4 years ago .. Only 3 coaches have won one more recently, and only two in the time that he's been coaching. This focus on needing younger staff (which seems to exist across all industries) astounds me ...

Last edited:
2010, 2011... So long ago, need to get out the archaeological tools to determine what other coaching methods we can steal from this bygone era

if you listen to MM's pres conference on Friday; you'll note all terse responses were to Mark Stevens.
They have a long history.
MM was polite, respectful and open when answering other questions.
Firstly he hates Stevens so gives him nothing
Second, he hates Stevens so is nicer to all the others
Third he hates stupid questions.
How right he was re not speculating on Menzel's injury where Larkin on Friday night suggested career threatening.
MM's doesn't tolerate fools a common and, not too unreasonable fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back