Buddy's contract killing Sydney's depth?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 player.
They just grabbed up 2 players.
Get at least into 3 players before one can even begin to say they are losing depth due to paying most of their cap to those pair.

Sorry Mumford, Everitt, White, Armstrong etc and than retirements.

You guys weren't players.

Sorry the way it's been shown that The departures from the Swans freed up more cap space than what was used on those two recruitments (allowing for contract renegotiations of younger guys).

I've been thinking this very loudly for a while.
How many grand finals did the Pies lose til they landed a decent ruckman like Jolly.

Prelim final - Sandilands monsters Pyke & leads Freo to another grand finals.

IMO, hard to win a grand final without a quality ruckman...

I doubt they would offer him that low, its just like saying we don't want you
If everyone on the team earned $400,000 a year there would only be 24 guys on the list. Even with extra space there is only so much cash to go around.

Is it 40 guys on a list? That's under $250,000 each. That's the squeeze, if a guy is earning four guys salary then eight guys are on half salary to make up for it.

Who would be better value/greater need at the Swans - Tippett or Mumford?
Tippett, clearly.

We have ruckmen doing the job, with more as backup. You can also pick up a serviceable one in the draft/trade pretty cheap if you need to.

Try getting hold of a good 200cm+ full forward. Rare as hen's teeth.

That said, Tippett barely played this year, and we're doing OK without either. :)

How many grand finals did the Pies lose til they landed a decent ruckman like Jolly.

Prelim final - Sandilands monsters Pyke & leads Freo to another grand finals.

IMO, hard to win a grand final without a quality ruckman...

Did you see Mumford play in the Grand Final? We won the GF in spite of him, and also thanks to a strong contribution by Pyke. He's shown he can do it on the big stage. Also see 2013 Hawks, 2008 Hawks and 2001-03 Lions for teams with mediocre ruckman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tippett, clearly.

We have ruckmen doing the job, with more as backup. You can also pick up a serviceable one in the draft/trade pretty cheap if you need to.

Try getting hold of a good 200cm+ full forward. Rare as hen's teeth.

That said, Tippett barely played this year, and we're doing OK without either. :)
Hence my original proposition;)

But didn't Malthouse say we had the best depth he has ever seen?:rolleyes:

Pretty sure there's already a 100 page thread saying the same thing that was posted after Everitt, Mumford, White and Armstrong left at the end of last season.

I wouldn't begrudge Mal chasing some cash considering he'll be 31 next season.

Yeah, I was wondering how 100 pages of the thread with the exact same name got trimmed.

With players like Heeney,Davis,Dunkley,Mills likely to be drafted in the next 2 years, the Swans will continue to have the best depth in the AFL for many years.

Didn't the lions have an increased salary cap during that period?

I know I know. Correlation isn't causation.
Why have Geelong been so successful for so long? They built a good list, had a good gamplan, smart recruiting and kept the list together.
Why have Hawthorn been so successful for so long? They built a good list, had a good gamplan, smart recruiting and kept the list together.
Why have Collingwood been so successful for so long? They built a good list, had a good gamplan, smart recruiting and kept the list together.
Why have Sydney been so successful for so long? Apparently, COLA
Why were Brisbane successful? Apparently COLA.

It's just insulting. Why is the success of Brisbane and Sydney not due to exactly the same factors as people credit Geelong, Hawthorn and Collingwood? There is a lot of jealousy and tall-poppy syndrome on BF.

Why have Geelong been so successful for so long? They built a good list, had a good gamplan, smart recruiting and kept the list together.
Why have Hawthorn been so successful for so long? They built a good list, had a good gamplan, smart recruiting and kept the list together.
Why have Collingwood been so successful for so long? They built a good list, had a good gamplan, smart recruiting and kept the list together.
Why have Sydney been so successful for so long? Apparently, COLA
Why were Brisbane successful? Apparently COLA.

It's just insulting. Why is the success of Brisbane and Sydney not due to exactly the same factors as people credit Geelong, Hawthorn and Collingwood? There is a lot of jealousy and tall-poppy syndrome on BF.
If you could look me in the eye and treat those as equals we might be able to discuss it but it just isn't.

Geelong literally had the best player in the league drop into their laps, Hawthorn have screwed Adelaide as hard as Sydney and the expansion clubs. If any club deserves respect it is Adelaide. To lose so much and still be competitive.

Love Mal, but at 30 he might want to chase a better 2 year deal so you can't begrudge him for that. Hopefully he leaves as a 2 time premiership player.

Rohan, Biggs and Jones are ready to play his role and AJ is back next year as we'll.

McVeigh can go back and do the role just as we'll which frees up the spot to get Tom Mitchell into the 18 (body permitting).

Plenty of up side really and we get another $250,000 to $300,000 of salary cap back into the mix as we'll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back