List Mgmt. 2015 general list discussion and speculation - PLEASE START NEW THREAD ON BREAKING NEWS

How did you rate Geelong's trade and free agency period?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the D&T thread I thought that originated from a unconfirmed FB post a few weeks ago… that now has grown to getting a mention on TV.. hmmm..

Would rather Bews and Schredder get a go myself….

Go Catters
Exactly, why clog the list with someone who isn't really top level when we have kids that need games that might be?

Maybe something to remember when looking at shorter players like Daniel or Cavarra ?
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

I'm happy to put up my hand and admit to having a bias towards taller, bigger bodied midfielders but after watching Daniel play I'm now being forced to re-think that stance a bit.

Last edited:

Stokes was also passed over 3 times (he was eligible to be drafted in 2002) before finally being drafted in 2005.

As a junior he played rep footy for Australia "...Stokes was a gun junior in Darwin. He was playing senior football at 14 and at 16 he represented Australia alongside the likes of 2001 No. 1 draft pick Luke Hodge and St Kilda stars Luke Ball and Nick Dal Santo."*

And yes Turbs, Thompson was less than impressed with the selection.

Mark Thompson was also bemused, as Stokes found out later at a presentation day.
"All the new recruits were being called out and Bomber said he'd laughed when he (Wells) told him he'd picked someone who was 177cm," he said.*

Add the frustration of being constantly overlooked in the draft and queries over his size to finally being picked late and you have some serious internal motivation to channel.

* http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...116552725?nk=d32cefd934f033e8668e2828dfc6037a
Thanks Pivot. I didn't know that- well, I did know he was overlooked but didn't realise it was for 3 seasons.

Good on him- it's probably why he's still motivated to improve his game. I love the little champ!!

Hey guys, someone on our board has mentioned Schroder as someone St Kilda would like as an inside mid. Just looked him up and saw he won the Liston Trophy in 2013, how is he not getting a game for you guys? Also, is he someone you guys think your club is wanting to keep and replace someone or possibly depth that you would consider trading?

Cheers

Hey guys, someone on our board has mentioned Schroder as someone St Kilda would like as an inside mid. Just looked him up and saw he won the Liston Trophy in 2013, how is he not getting a game for you guys? Also, is he someone you guys think your club is wanting to keep and replace someone or possibly depth that you would consider trading?

How long have you got?

He's not good enough at the top level. That's why he's playing VFL right now. Of course he might be if he plays in the seniors. But he's playing VFL at the moment, that's why he's not good enough at the top level.

Got the idea?

Cheers
I think there is good chance he'll request a trade at seasons end and would be a good fit for you guys or Carlton maybe.

Tough insider, can kick goals and in the best very regularly in the VFL. Just hasn't been able to get into our midfield with Guthrie, Horlin-Smith and Caddy there. Probably would have had a chance when Caddy was injured but unfortunately did a calf and missed a chance. Now with Jansen coming through as well his chances here will be limited.

Cheers
He's a young kid. One of the youngest in a long time to win the Liston.
Pushes forward at VFL level and kicks goals. He's a work horse at that level. I just don't think he has the tank for AFL yet.
He's a nuggety type.

We need to give him another 2 years. I think he could end up replacing Bartel to be honest.

Get used to the idea. If they aren't going to give him games he won't wait around forever.
He has had an injury interrupted year.
He isn't a proven AFL player. Even prismall was more proven. If he leaves he is nuts.
If it was me, I'd take a 2 year contract and prove myself.

Get used to the idea. If they aren't going to give him games he won't wait around forever.
I'd walk if I were him. Win B&F in reserves comp, play decent games at AFL level and get nothing in return. Quite a few clubs will be sniffing around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hunt will be the one that goes. Probably Brown too :(

Will be annoyed to see Hunt go but he's probably not up to it. The other bloke definitely isn't.

What would they all be worth, pick wise?
IMO we'd be lucky to get anything higher than a third rounder for any of the three (Schroeder, Brown, Hunt), might be able to scrape a late second rounder for Hunt, but that's absolute best case scenario.
I personally hope we don't lose them all, as they've all shown 'something' IMO, but can understand if they seek greener pastures elsewhere.

It will be so interesting to see who goes at season's end. I can see arguments for keeping Brown, Schroder, THunt, McCarthy and a few more. But we cannot keep them all. We must take 3 ND picks, one of which will be Blitz. And I do not think we want a repeat of having only 2 live picks.

For me THunt can go, especially if we can upgrade a pick in a trade. But then who ? Probably Enright retires and that still leaves one to be delisted.

What would they all be worth, pick wise?
IMO we'd be lucky to get anything higher than a third rounder for any of the three (Schroeder, Brown, Hunt), might be able to scrape a late second rounder for Hunt, but that's absolute best case scenario.
I personally hope we don't lose them all, as they've all shown 'something' IMO, but can understand if they seek greener pastures elsewhere.
Who knows.

I'd probably have them as;

Brown, pick 40. Maybe an upgrade from 40 to 36 or something.
Hunt, maybe an upgraded pick from 60 to 42 ish.
Schroder, pick 50.

:(

I thinks there's others we can trade/delist.
But I think Brown and Hunt will seek a trade.

If Brown goes we have to keep Walker.
Double :(

It will be so interesting to see who goes at season's end. I can see arguments for keeping Brown, Schroder, THunt, McCarthy and a few more. But we cannot keep them all. We must take 3 ND picks, one of which will be Blitz. And I do not think we want a repeat of having only 2 live picks.

For me THunt can go, especially if we can upgrade a pick in a trade. But then who ? Probably Enright retires and that still leaves one to be delisted.
Surely Cowan gets rookied??

THunt, Schroeder, Stringer moved on & Cowan to rookie would be mine (I would de-list but they've already said they won't). Although I can't see Brown hanging around unless there is no interest elsewhere but we don't appear too interested in giving him him opportunity either so who knows.

And cut Sheringham from the rookie list for gods sake. Drives me nuts that guy haha

Surely Cowan gets rookied??

THunt, Schroeder, Stringer moved on & Cowan to rookie would be mine (I would de-list but they've already said they won't). Although I can't see Brown hanging around unless there is no interest elsewhere but we don't appear too interested in giving him him opportunity either so who knows.

And cut Sheringham from the rookie list for gods sake. Drives me nuts that guy haha

If they want to keep him, they have to. A senior spot is insanity.

Cowan is the first one. That's a no brainer. As you say, plus Then a probable retiree in Enright. Then Stringer. That's 3, and that's not including guys who may seek greener pastures - which could be any of Hunt, Schroder, Brown, even Smedts. Walker - according to this board - is out of contract at the end of 2014. With Vardy back and Kersten now in the senior team, how many games is he going to get next year? Or chop Walker and keep Brown.

He has had an injury interrupted year.
He isn't a proven AFL player. Even prismall was more proven. If he leaves he is nuts.
If it was me, I'd take a 2 year contract and prove myself.
If it was me I'd request a trade.

Obviously we don't have all the facts. Behind the scenes the coaches might be telling Schroder he is in their plans for next year (would have been this year if not for injury early on) and he'll be offered another contract.

Without being privvy to this information (if it exists), it looks to me like Schroder (and Brown) have gotten a raw deal at the selection table during their time at Geelong.

He has been regularly in the best for the VFL side and was acknowledged as (one of) the best player(s) in the VFL last year.

Yet he has watched Sherringham (a rookie who is likely to be farewelled this year) and Stringer, two guys who perform a similar sort of role to Schroder, play more than him in the ones.

McCarthy and Burbury got games early on (in a role I'm surprised Schroder hasn't been given the chance to play considering his goal sense - the small, crumbing forward).

Guthrie and Horlin-Smith appear to have cemented themselves in the senior side now.

Caddy, Smedts and Murdoch (all around the same age) are allowed to play multiple sub-par games but retain their spots (and yes, I do get why leniency is granted to some young players).

However, if Schroder doesn't get the same sort of leniency (which I don't think he has at senior level) then is it too far-fetched to think he might be down the pecking order a bit in relation to those other guys?

Hartman (who has almost matched Schroder's senior games in half the time) appears to now be in front of him and Lang and Jansen are pushing their cases hard as well. And there will be more draftees coming in that the club will want to get games into.

On top of all that, Josh Cowan (who can't even get on the park) appears to be more highly rated than Schroder.

Considering that, I'd probably be out the door if a trade could be organised.

Even with retirements over the next few years, the squeeze will be on from all sides and Schroder doesn't appear to have the MC in his corner.

Proving you are made of stern stuff is great but if he wants a career, he might need to ply his trade elsewhere because, from the outside, it doesn't look like he features heavily in Geelong's future plans.

And I say that as a massive Jordan Schroder fan who hopes he is kept on the list. :eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back