List Mgmt. AFL Article linking Cats and Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just something to keep in mind with Frawley - he would not be in the best 10 players at Melbourne this year (with a side that is in the bottom five on the ladder). To me, he does not have a great influence during games, despite been thrown up forward a number of times.

I think his profile has been raised as a result of him being one of a very few FA players available. Clubs like Collingwood and the Gold Coast feign interest in order to ensure whoever gets Frawley will pay over the top.

Last edited:

This also in the FWIW basket...Jake Niall wrote an article in The Age refuting Blobbo's assertion that Frawley had 'committed' to Collingwood.

"club sources are adamant that they are neither in a position, nor interested, in recruiting the game's stand-out free agent"

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/magpies-not-in-hunt-for-james-frawley-20140726-zx9bv.html#ixzz38cLOpmpD

And Mark 'late to the party' Stevens also tweeted this morning saying the pies don't have the room in the salary cap and aren't interested

That's all we need to know then. Nothing says "excellence" like getting the 6th or 7th best player at Melbourne.

I'm certainly not convinced about getting Frawley in, but remember Ottens finished 8th in his last season at Richmond, playing 18 games in a team that finished dead last. We all know how that one turned out! From memory, both had/have been All Australian a couple of years earlier as well, indicating that there is definitely talent there.

I would be surprised if Freo didn't land him. Luke is done soon. They'll probably have cap space.

Logically you'd say he either goes to Geelong, Hawthorn or Freo.

Us and Freo could use him and would be attractive to him I think, but Hawks are probably more desperate for him need wise (I assume Lake is a good chance to retire) and will pay the most, so if that's his priority he will go there, but we are in the mix.

Care to name the 10 that would be in it ?
I think he'd be in it,perhaps 6th or 7th

Alright JUBJUB here goes (not in any particular order and based on my observations from Demon games this year):

Nathan Jones, Matt Jones, Pederson, Tyson, Viney, Howes, Vince, Mcdonald, Jamar and Dawes.

Dawes and Pederson have been more dangerous as big forwards than Frawley has (Frawley has played more forward than back this year from what I have seen).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm certainly not convinced about getting Frawley in, but remember Ottens finished 8th in his last season at Richmond, playing 18 games in a team that finished dead last. We all know how that one turned out! From memory, both had/have been All Australian a couple of years earlier as well, indicating that there is definitely talent there.

Frawley hasn't been played out of position for years like Ottens was though.

I'm surprised Geelong still gets mentioned as interested. Frawley's a very limited player, hardly worth the salary and draft pick Geelong might have to offer. Mentioning Frawley in the same breath as Ottens is football sacrilege.

Don't need to use draft picks for FA , it's not a trade it's theft!
And I'd be surprised if there's any truth to the reports of Frawley being after a 7 year contract @ $700 / $800K per annum. This all seems to be part of the free agent game that is played. If it was true, you'd expect Geelong to make a statement to the effect "thanks, but no thanks".

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...eelong-star-steven-motlop-20140727-zx6a2.html

Apparently Gary Lyon is saying that if Geelong are after Frawley, then the Dee's should offer Motlop a big contract and snatch him from us. Not that I'm aware Motlops contract is up at Geelong. Maybe Geelong are in this more than we think, if Lyon is singling out Geelong? I find it hard to reconcile a club like ours giving Frawley a 7 year contract and pay overs as well for the guy when we have much more deserving players for big money on our list already. Geelong don't roll like that, or at least they haven't to this point.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...eelong-star-steven-motlop-20140727-zx6a2.html

Apparently Gary Lyon is saying that if Geelong are after Frawley, then the Dee's should offer Motlop a big contract and snatch him from us. Not that I'm aware Motlops contract is up at Geelong. Maybe Geelong are in this more than we think, if Lyon is singling out Geelong? I find it hard to reconcile a club like ours giving Frawley a 7 year contract and pay overs as well for the guy when we have much more deserving players for big money on our list already. Geelong don't roll like that, or at least they haven't to this point.
Lyons is probably behind the "Frawley is after 7 year contract ++" rumour. His anti-Frawley tirade on Footy Classified a few weeks back was poor IMO. He did not have one good thing to say about Frawley. It was so obvious what Lyons was trying to do, but being as thick as he is it came across as sour grapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back