Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
What can I do to help?

You could start a sausage sizzle out the front of the GABBA, you might need to bring a few more of your sausage pals though ;)

2.5m a year loss!! That's massive.
50k a week loss!!
Is this terrible fiscal management or a fact that the costs are what they are to run an AFL club but the revenue doesn't exist that would normally cover this and then also produce a profit?
If any of the above is close to the cause of such a massive debt, my question is how did this take so long for the AFL to seriously look at the state of the clubs finances!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What can I do to help?

Buy a membership or three............hundred thousand.

Car wash?

Set up a rub and tug tent outside the Gabba on game day.

Lemonade stand.

Sell cookies door to door.

Set up a Nigerian princess type scam.

Put in poker machines in the outer of the Gabba.

Import drugs.

Last edited:
2.5m a year loss!! That's massive.
50k a week loss!!
Is this terrible fiscal management or a fact that the costs are what they are to run an AFL club but the revenue doesn't exist that would normally cover this and then also produce a profit?
If any of the above is close to the cause of such a massive debt, my question is how did this take so long for the AFL to seriously look at the state of the clubs finances!!

Robbo welcome to the jungle,

In short post the three peat the club was holding folding (around $10Mil) in Net Assets and much of it semi liquid in Johnny Cash and Investments - more of that latter.

Membership was at an all time high, Corporate Support was at record levels, demand for Corporate Boxes outstripped demand and we were making money hand over fist from every home game.

We were the Kings of The Jungle - on and off the field - and our executive team had no hesitation in telling all and sundry just how good things were - so much so that we lost our retention allowance as our four year period of glory finished. We "pushed boundaries" on and off the field and in some of our negotiations and got many people off side (AFL House) and gave the impression to others (Vic Power Bloc) that we were heading towards becoming another AFL financial bohemiath like the Eagles. But it was all a house of cards.

In 2005 & 2006 despite not making finals we were still in contention and flag favourites until late in the season when injuries and retirements finished us off. Not sure of the financials but they would have been ok.

In 2007 the first of the tragic floods hit Brissy and before that the GFC, for some reason never fully or reasonably explained to anyone, the club had invested its hard earned in shares that ended up being worth nothing and so the nest egg was lost in a year when on field and off field went south. Corporate support exited as did match day attendances.

Financially things haven't turned since then, in 2010 with the impending introduction of the Suns, the club went on a marketing exercise that will go down as a text book example of what not to do and burned further cash.

The rest you probably know. Many reasons have been given - "the onerous stadium deal" - but it wasn't onerous in 2003 when we were raking in the cash - simply the break even figure is very high, which was irrelevant back then - but is now.

There are a lot of reasons as to why we got here, BUT - IMO, the arrogance of the previous regime's meant that we were left to rot for longer than would normally have been the case and in a sense we have had to come back to the AFL begging, when for awhile we were giving them the one fingered salute.

Oh and Robbo says its actually $12.5M!!

How much of the $12mil relates to Srpingwood (I.e. Good debt)?

Getting out of the GABBA will also supposedly save us ~$2mil if you listen to the club admin.

Also does that number include AFL handouts ($1.5 mil at the end of last year IIRC).

How much of the $12mil relates to Srpingwood (I.e. Good debt)?

Getting out of the GABBA will also supposedly save us ~$2mil if you listen to the club admin.

Also does that number include AFL handouts ($1.5 mil at the end of last year IIRC).
The answer is from the financial statements presented (not segmented) we simply do not know.

Even if we we're afforded a 15 year period to pay off the debt, at say 7.5% p/a.....interest only is over $75,000 per month :confused:

I did hear that the pokies are generating a decent amount for us though :thumbsu:

Serious question - are we ever going to be able to pay off such debt?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back