Lions Financial Situation

Remove this Banner Ad

The MacMum plan to financial FREEDOM!!.

..an SOS to all Qld members..

.....every week for the next two years, each and every member will head down the road to Springwood and willing give er have $100-200 worth of enjoyment at the Lions pokies. The sense of achievement and dedication to the cause will fill your heart with joy.

No??

hmm, will have to work on something else then....Powerball this week is 25mil, that'll do.

Robbo welcome to the jungle,

In short post the three peat the club was holding folding (around $10Mil) in Net Assets and much of it semi liquid in Johnny Cash and Investments - more of that latter.

Membership was at an all time high, Corporate Support was at record levels, demand for Corporate Boxes outstripped demand and we were making money hand over fist from every home game.

We were the Kings of The Jungle - on and off the field - and our executive team had no hesitation in telling all and sundry just how good things were - so much so that we lost our retention allowance as our four year period of glory finished. We "pushed boundaries" on and off the field and in some of our negotiations and got many people off side (AFL House) and gave the impression to others (Vic Power Bloc) that we were heading towards becoming another AFL financial bohemiath like the Eagles. But it was all a house of cards.

In 2005 & 2006 despite not making finals we were still in contention and flag favourites until late in the season when injuries and retirements finished us off. Not sure of the financials but they would have been ok.

In 2007 the first of the tragic floods hit Brissy and before that the GFC, for some reason never fully or reasonably explained to anyone, the club had invested its hard earned in shares that ended up being worth nothing and so the nest egg was lost in a year when on field and off field went south. Corporate support exited as did match day attendances.

Financially things haven't turned since then, in 2010 with the impending introduction of the Suns, the club went on a marketing exercise that will go down as a text book example of what not to do and burned further cash.

The rest you probably know. Many reasons have been given - "the onerous stadium deal" - but it wasn't onerous in 2003 when we were raking in the cash - simply the break even figure is very high, which was irrelevant back then - but is now.

There are a lot of reasons as to why we got here, BUT - IMO, the arrogance of the previous regime's meant that we were left to rot for longer than would normally have been the case and in a sense we have had to come back to the AFL begging, when for awhile we were giving them the one fingered salute.

Oh and Robbo says its actually $12.5M!!

Babcock & Brown and Centro were before that. Bad decisions, not the GFS, lost our money.

Robbo welcome to the jungle,

In short post the three peat the club was holding folding (around $10Mil) in Net Assets and much of it semi liquid in Johnny Cash and Investments - more of that latter.

Membership was at an all time high, Corporate Support was at record levels, demand for Corporate Boxes outstripped demand and we were making money hand over fist from every home game.

We were the Kings of The Jungle - on and off the field - and our executive team had no hesitation in telling all and sundry just how good things were - so much so that we lost our retention allowance as our four year period of glory finished. We "pushed boundaries" on and off the field and in some of our negotiations and got many people off side (AFL House) and gave the impression to others (Vic Power Bloc) that we were heading towards becoming another AFL financial bohemiath like the Eagles. But it was all a house of cards.

In 2005 & 2006 despite not making finals we were still in contention and flag favourites until late in the season when injuries and retirements finished us off. Not sure of the financials but they would have been ok.

In 2007 the first of the tragic floods hit Brissy and before that the GFC, for some reason never fully or reasonably explained to anyone, the club had invested its hard earned in shares that ended up being worth nothing and so the nest egg was lost in a year when on field and off field went south. Corporate support exited as did match day attendances.

Financially things haven't turned since then, in 2010 with the impending introduction of the Suns, the club went on a marketing exercise that will go down as a text book example of what not to do and burned further cash.

The rest you probably know. Many reasons have been given - "the onerous stadium deal" - but it wasn't onerous in 2003 when we were raking in the cash - simply the break even figure is very high, which was irrelevant back then - but is now.

There are a lot of reasons as to why we got here, BUT - IMO, the arrogance of the previous regime's meant that we were left to rot for longer than would normally have been the case and in a sense we have had to come back to the AFL begging, when for awhile we were giving them the one fingered salute.

Oh and Robbo says its actually $12.5M!!
Yeah I realise the total debt is 12.5m but the loss for this fiscal year is 2.5m alone!!
Really bad decision to put a football clubs money into shares! Is that normal? Property would seem a better option to me but anyway that's spilt milk!
I hope Mr Swan can help to turn things around. I agree with his comments that it starts on the field because that's what we come to watch. List changes, good trades, drafting and retention I think will be the main early focuss then a look towards training facilities.
That's my take so far.

Why people listen to financial advisers /invest in various things is beyond me....

Mr MM did the above with his super when he retired, on the advice of a very well known Financial firm.....was told by many that he should go see an adviser, so he did......luckily he was watching a few years ago, and realized his money was slowly but surely going down, be it fees for this and that, or shares dropping etc..

Long story short...he got jack of it, and got his money back from them.......then the GFC hit. He had saved his money.

He put it into a simple yearly term deposit at the bank....even though interest rates are low, they are guaranteed, and he has got his money back to the original amount he started with.

Simple but safe. The club should do the same.

The debt only concerns me if the AFL does not continue to back us financially and it impacts on the ability of the club to physical and human resources. Which I know it has!

Everyone knows Brisbane is a bloody fickle sporting market. Winning is the only way to drastically reduce this debt. It will be closer to 20 million this time next year. It is only when we become a top 6 team that we will start to reduce this debt. Hold only ladies and gentlemen it is only going to get worse!

I feel like I've walked into an episode of Blankety Blanks. Graeme?
I was going for an 'Are you Being Served' vibe if Ima be honest.

mh11.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could start a sausage sizzle out the front of the GABBA, you might need to bring a few more of your sausage pals though ;)

And don't think I haven't thought it! :) How about a few sausage sizzles watching training?

Poutine!

poutine.png

The debt only concerns me if the AFL does not continue to back us financially and it impacts on the ability of the club to physical and human resources. Which I know it has!

Everyone knows Brisbane is a bloody fickle sporting market. Winning is the only way to drastically reduce this debt. It will be closer to 20 million this time next year. It is only when we become a top 6 team that we will start to reduce this debt. Hold only ladies and gentlemen it is only going to get worse!
It is fickle so it might get better for us if the Broncos go backwoods, and we start to at least win more at the Gabba. It will come down to how we finish out the season and start next season.
Strong finish, Broncos finish poorly and we start next year winning some games, they struggle, would see our attendances improve,to the bandwagoners it is entertainment after all.
We cant control what they do but as our new ceo says it comes down to winning, or something on those lines.
Could be the perfect storm we need .

Dogs do, my border collie watches the footy on one of the (his) lounge chairs, but he does have a black and white coat , hmm, so I'm not sure where his loyalties lie , Bloody Collingwood supporter. That's it no more walks .

We have a dog called Lulu ("Luie") who watches as well, and gets extremely excited when we cheer for little Lewy Taylor - "GO LEWY!".

It is fickle so it might get better for us if the Broncos go backwoods, and we start to at least win more at the Gabba. It will come down to how we finish out the season and start next season.
Strong finish, Broncos finish poorly and we start next year winning some games, they struggle, would see our attendances improve,to the bandwagoners it is entertainment after all.
We cant control what they do but as our new ceo says it comes down to winning, or something on those lines.
Could be the perfect storm we need .
Unfortunately with Mr Bennett back into the club even a poor start won't stop the majorly overloaded premiership bandwagon from following the Broncos through the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back