Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

That stinks. Poor bloke had a lot of concussion issues. I don't know that the game can survive long term, certainly we need to rethink junior footy (as I think they have in some places).

While adult, paid AFL players might be able to consent to the risk, kids certainly can't, and parents can't be expected to either.

That stinks. Poor bloke had a lot of concussion issues. I don't know that the game can survive long term, certainly we need to rethink junior footy (as I think they have in some places).

While adult, paid AFL players might be able to consent to the risk, kids certainly can't, and parents can't be expected to either.
You simply can not eliminate all risk in life, children take a risk walking to school beside busy roads everyday.

My grandson stopped playing Aussie Rules because of concussion issues, myself and his parents would in no way want junior footy to be phased out or so transformed that you could not recognise it eg. ban the tackle/pack marks. IMO junior AFL is quite safe the way it is, grandson's worst concussion was from an illegal act ie. sling tackle.

Agree that adults consent to the risk when deciding to engage in any risky activity, society is too litigious.

Yeah don’t know if Maynard is a dog. Seen attempted smothers like his many times a season. It just sucks Bradshaw has been unlucky to get many head knocks. If it wasn’t that Marnard hit it could have hypothetically been a Hugh McCluggage tackle into the turf this season for example. Some blokes just seem to get head knocks more than others. It’s the nature of the game, the person and the role.

Hope he gets paid out and enjoys the rest of his life without major issue.

Sad for Brayshaw such a good player.

The AFL keep trying and changing rules to help the players.
Fans regularly scream about the changes saying the game is getting soft.
Then when umpires try to implement them rightly or wrongly, they scream even more.

The players themselves have to take more responsibility.

Some weird interpretation over the years at tribunal hearings don't help either.
But in the end the AFL will be looking at more compensation payments as more players join class action cases.
At some stage i would not be surprised if court action against another player is on the cards.

Then you have ex-players like Nic Riewoldt saying (about 18 month ago) he would take the AFL to court if missing a GF due to concussion protocols suspension.
AFL players future health issues are not that concerning to them while playing until it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it were a lions player who did what Maynard did, so coming at it as a lions fan, I can see the arguments in favour of it not being a suspension but would be almost certain it would attract a suspension.

The AFL MRO should have to grade incidents before sending them to the Tribunal. When I say grade I mean, say we give this 3 weeks under whatever criteria. And X factor means it should also be referred to the tribunal for review of that decision.

Last edited:
Yeah don’t know if Maynard is a dog. Seen attempted smothers like his many times a season. It just sucks Bradshaw has been unlucky to get many head knocks. If it wasn’t that Marnard hit it could have hypothetically been a Hugh McCluggage tackle into the turf this season for example. Some blokes just seem to get head knocks more than others. It’s the nature of the game, the person and the role.

I agree , not a dog act , but the level of carelessness is off the charts, should of been accountable, no doubt in my mind anyway.

Sad for Brayshaw such a good player.

The AFL keep trying and changing rules to help the players.
Fans regularly scream about the changes saying the game is getting soft.
Then when umpires try to implement them rightly or wrongly, they scream even more.

The players themselves have to take more responsibility.

Some weird interpretation over the years at tribunal hearings don't help either.
But in the end the AFL will be looking at more compensation payments as more players join class action cases.
At some stage i would not be surprised if court action against another player is on the cards.

Then you have ex-players like Nic Riewoldt saying (about 18 month ago) he would take the AFL to court if missing a GF due to concussion protocols suspension.
AFL players future health issues are not that concerning to them while playing until it is.
Problem is that the Tribunal was pretty gutless and in fear of Collingwood and its legal henchmen that it just placated them because god forbid they rubbed Maynard out of the GF.

Bit like this youth crime wave; citizens and police are at a loss when the courts can’t jail these reoffending thugs and juveniles because the laws don’t allow them to despite everyone saying for years that there is an issue.

I mean what the AFL waiting for, someone to die or only do something when it’s some no name player and one of the less favourable clubs that they can make an example of?

If it were a lions player who did what Maynard did, so coming at it as a lions fan, I can see the arguments in favour of it not being a suspension but would be almost certain it would attract a suspension.

The AFL MRO should have to grade incidents before sending them to the Tribunal.
Substitute Mitch Robinson or Toby Greene for Maynard in the exact same action and I'd put a small wager on there being a suspension and some outrage from the southern media about the callous act.

I agree , not a dog act , but the level of carelessness is off the charts, should have been accountable, no doubt in my mind anyway.
I disagree, Maynard knew exactly what he was doing and often plays with an intent to hurt albeit I don’t think he was necessarily trying to end the guys career, but the fact he got off scot free is laughable.

Obviously what happened with Brayshaws father in law (Spud Frawley) is very much at the forefront to.

Substitute Mitch Robinson or Toby Greene for Maynard in the exact same action and I'd put a small wager on there being a suspension and some outrage from the southern media about the callous act.
Without a shadow of a doubt and I bet the AFL would have you believe that that wouldn’t have been the case- yeah right.

If it were a bottom team and not in a final there would have been a suspension.

Brayshaw hadn't had a concussion in over 5 years at that point. Maynard didn't mean it clearly but he left his feet and made high contact which resulted in a player being knocked out. Hindsight says it was an error he didn't get rubbed out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back