For those 30+: What would you do differently?

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Don't worry about what other people think of you. You are your own person and things get boring when everybody is the same.
2. I didn't travel much in my early 20's. I really wish I had.
3. All girls can do is say "no". And there are plenty more of them out there.
4. Invest. Not necessarily in your OWN home, but something - managed fund, direct shares, investment property.
5. I'm now 39, married with two children at school. I never appreciated how much time and freedom I used to have. Use it well while you can.
6. Live with a girl before you marry them. Luckily I did this and got out before we got engaged. She was a completely different person when I was sharing a house with her.
7. Don't be in too much of a rush to plan your career. You have plenty of time. Even if you are a couple of years behind your circle of friends, if you take your time to make a decision, you'll be much happier than them in the long run.

1. Don't worry about what other people think of you. You are your own person and things get boring when everybody is the same.
2. I didn't travel much in my early 20's. I really wish I had.
3. All girls can do is say "no". And there are plenty more of them out there.
4. Invest. Not necessarily in your OWN home, but something - managed fund, direct shares, investment property.
5. I'm now 39, married with two children at school. I never appreciated how much time and freedom I used to have. Use it well while you can.
6. Live with a girl before you marry them. Luckily I did this and got out before we got engaged. She was a completely different person when I was sharing a house with her.
7. Don't be in too much of a rush to plan your career. You have plenty of time. Even if you are a couple of years behind your circle of friends, if you take your time to make a decision, you'll be much happier than them in the long run.
Number 7, spot on.

- have the job i have now when i left high school, its night shift and pays well and gives me a rather flexible lifestyle but most of my friends are now married and my body isn't in as good shape for sport anymore

This is my main one, i have done the travel and stayed single most for most of my 20's which i dont regret but i wish i had more money now saved up but i wasted to many years working for no more then $15ph slaving in warehouses.

This is true, don't compare yourself to others and let it dictate your decisions. Everyone is at different stages in their life.

I'm a commitment-phobe and a coward. Can't wait until I'm 30.

Do not understand people who say stay single to late 20s, grass is greener I think. I feel the opposite way: wish I could find something a bit more meaningful. Quite jealous of my friends who are in really solid, long-term relationships.

The only major regret I have is not doing post-grad uni. Had the opportunity to a masters in sports psych or motor control and development, both I would have been passionate about but went into a job instead just cos I wanted immediate $$$. Now I'm stuck doing a job I have no interest in and hate (Occ Health and Safety).

You know those people who love their job, read books on weekends about it, live and breathe it - well that would have been me if I stayed in school.

Have always over-achieved with the ladies so cant complain there.

Happy with my conservative investment decisions too.

Last edited:
I'm a commitment-phobe and a coward. Can't wait until I'm 30.

Do not understand people who say stay single to late 20s, grass is greener I think. I feel the opposite way: wish I could find something a bit more meaningful. Quite jealous of my friends who are in really solid, long-term relationships.

I like the quote, "The grass is greener only where you water it", which I had only heard quite recently. It's good advice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not in my 30s but some of my sporting decisions as a teenager will haunt me for life. Giving up on footy at age 13, giving up on cricket a year later, and basically prodding along playing boring and meaningless domestic basketball for the majority of my teen days was dumb.

Should have stuck with footy as I love it now, but due to my lack of development I'm crap compared to my mates. Cricket I guess I could have stuck with, but footy will always haunt me as I was turned off by one bad experience in under 13s and basically gave up on playing.

Not saying I could have turned into a freak or anything, but with my height I could have at least kept up with my mates.

Not in my 30s but some of my sporting decisions as a teenager will haunt me for life. Giving up on footy at age 13, giving up on cricket a year later, and basically prodding along playing boring and meaningless domestic basketball for the majority of my teen days was dumb.

Should have stuck with footy as I love it now, but due to my lack of development I'm crap compared to my mates. Cricket I guess I could have stuck with, but footy will always haunt me as I was turned off by one bad experience in under 13s and basically gave up on playing.

Not saying I could have turned into a freak or anything, but with my height I could have at least kept up with my mates.
No they won't.

Maybe haunt isn't the right word, but I'll always look back at some of them with sadness and regret.
My CV is full of poor decisions, what's done is done, and there's no point in dwelling on them. Your basketball has taken you to America, I played cricket for over twenty years, never got further than outer suburban Adelaide, I reckon you've made a good choice.

I'm in my last month on Earth as a 20-something.

Everyone is different, so specific advice isn't that helpful IMO. Do 'x, y and z' to get girls. Meaningless. You should buy a house at age 'x'. Meainingless. Etc. Etc.

I finished school at 17, went straight into uni and finished at 22, moved into a share house, worked a job for a year or so which I didn't enjoy and quit then worked another job for a year or so - all the time saving a lot of my new found full time income as I was accustomed to the life of a student where expenses were minimum. Bought a house at 24, then travelled extensively at 25 and 27. That order of events worked fine for me and no doubt wouldn't work for others. I don't think 20 year old me would not have enjoyed travel as much as mid 20s me did - I wasn't ready. I also had no money and I know I would regret travelling anywhere and not being able to rent a kayak or book a last minute flight etc. because I was one of those painful pennypincher travellers who talks about nothing but their budget.

My only advice is to do your best to let go of preconceptions about age. I have friends that were married at 21 and have school aged kids. Never travelled, not interested in material wealth, couldn't be happier. I have friends that are 30+, single and travelling. Again couldn't be happier. Do what works for you.

I'm 23 and would jump at the chance to have my last five years over again. That said, I'm not unhappy about where I am at the moment. Greedy sod, I am.

really needed to read this right now. thank you.

Probably biggest regret is not staying in good shape. Over the last 5 or so years I really let myself go, ate a lot of s**t and no regular exercise. Now trying to get into really good shape, and it's true what they say... the older you get, the harder it is. Would have been easier to just keep in shape. You look and feel so much better.

This is it for me. I waited until I was 25 before I even started caring about staying in shape, and it's just so much more difficult at that stage. I've been able to get "fit" in the sense that I can exercise or play a high level of sport for hours on end without running out of puff, but keeping the weight off seems impossible sometimes.

Other than that, I wish I'd saved more of my money from when I had relatively few bills. I could use it now that I'm struggling to make payments each month.

Edit: On a similar note to the above, for anyone in their 20s who grew up avoiding sports, give it a go now that you're older. I hated playing sports as a dorky teenager, but it's the highlight of my week now that I'm 30. It doesn't matter if you're any good or not. Just challenging yourself to be the best you can be, enjoying the social environment and getting some exercise is great fun. If you're not enjoying it, just don't re-sign for the next season and try something else.

Last edited:
really needed to read this right now. thank you.

My wife is in her late 20s and is just going through a career change at the moment. She feels like she's wasted 10 years by not being there already. My theory is it's better to spend 10 years figuring out what you want to do than spend the next 40 stuck doing something you hate.

Do all you people under 30 not know how to read an OP?

It is pretty clear. Kudos to those who have posted in line with the wishes of the OP.

Some good comments in here from those over 30, keep them coming :thumbsu:

I reckon if you had access to a database of all registered BigFooty users then over 30s would make up 10-20%. That's just my guess, but over 30s certainly aren't the majority and under 25s are brilliant at not listening.:)

I shall retreat and not provide any further advice for another month or so when I am old and wise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back