Society & Culture What did you buy yourself for Christmas?

Remove this Banner Ad

I had to order them sadly, they'll take a few days to get here - but I'm really excited about the Japanese Shun knives. In hindsight I don't know why I left the store with the German Wusthof's the other day, cos I was never excited about them.

Sadly, after spending about $300 on knives, I've also had to drop about $125 on some induction cookware today. I haven't done much cooking since I got miserable and fat during COVID, but I had fun doing some solo cooking yesterday, it reminded me of how much I used to enjoy it. Anyway, I went to do some cooking today and learned that the vast majority of my cookware doesn't work with the induction cooktop in my new place. I've never had induction heating before. (I also can't believe I haven't used a fry pan in the 9ish weeks since I moved!) Got the cookware at great prices though, Boxing Day was a pretty good time to realise I needed it.

Then while I was on a roll, I ordered a couple of cookbooks as well. Again, they were things I got at great prices for Boxing Day - the kind of books I'd been aware of for probably 2-3 years, but pulled the trigger on today when they were good prices.

Turns out I've looked after myself quite well this Christmas. Knives and cookware are things that you need, but I've made sure I spent enough that they're the type that will be fun to use.

Quality cookware is $$$$$.
But we'll worth it esp if you love cooking .

lunch dog cooking GIF
dog chef GIF

With knives, make sure you've got a good sharpening stone (whetstone) and a honing rod (steel).

I ended up with a set of Shun knives that have a steel rod, I guess that'll be ok in the short term. I don't imagine they're producing incredible $200+ knives then providing a piece of s**t honing rod.

The good thing about Shun knives is that they retain their sharpness forever, and you get forever to send it back to them for free professional sharpening. Im sure I will get a good whetstone at some point, but it doesn't need to be a priority.

I’m planning on buying myself a new laptop, my current one is very old and battery lasts an hour at best. Luckily the one I wanted on Black Friday is back on sale for similar price for Boxing Day sales.

An hour? Youch. Throw it in the bin.

An hour? Youch. Throw it in the bin.

It’s pretty bad, but I find with phones and iPads I don’t really use it much anymore. Tried replacing it 4 years back and bought a new better one but a smaller screen, but after a month couldn’t get used to it and sold it on EBay, got my money back minus PayPal fees.

Mrs got a new ninja airfyer and a cordless ninja whazzy thing
I got a new gym bag, sneakers and a blendjet whazzy

Any idea how these compare to the NutriBullet, especially for larger or "dryer" loads? Do you know the wattage they're outputting?

I'm not that impressed with the NutriBullet, it takes a s**t ton of liquid to get it blend properly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Came on here thinking I'd be the odd one out buying myself a frying pan and wooden spoons. Tuns out, not so much.

Oh, and my brother bought me something similar to this for Christmas about a decade ago. Absolute game changer, will never go back to steels.

Any idea how these compare to the NutriBullet, especially for larger or "dryer" loads? Do you know the wattage they're outputting?

I'm not that impressed with the NutriBullet, it takes a s**t ton of liquid to get it blend properly.
No idea tbh I’ll see if it says anything on it or in the box when I get a chance
I’m not using it as I have a blendjet…
Chose the blendjet as it was smaller to fit into my bag

Ok so finally had a look at the booklet which was useless
Looked on the unit...nothing
Most info i got was that it needs a 5v 3a charge

It has a sip lid and is a little bigger than the blendjet
I went the blend just for the smaller size in my bag

Wife and I bought an indigenous artwork, not a print or anything but a legitimate piece directly from our local mob.

We also went on a dark sky tour which was something we always wanted to do in our region but couldn't justify the price. now we are planning to do a river murray cruise even though we aren't retirement age we really want to do it.

I'm left with a strange conundrum...

I bought all these Xmas presents for myself to keep improving my health, and it's going really well. I've replaced energy drinks with coffee, I've mostly replaced soft drink with soda stream bubbles. (I am struggling to find Sodastream flavourings that aren't shithouse.)

The knives I bought myself for Xmas arrived this week, so I've been using those and the new induction cookware. The "problem" is that despite being out of training, I'm still a really good cook, and I think there's a chance I end up eating more food because I've home-cooked it, and it's so much better than anything I can get off Uber.

It's the situation I've found myself in this weekend. Certainly the food I'm making is much healthier than what you're getting off the apps, but the aim is to be eating less and eating better.

In other news, I just about cost myself a digit using the knives for the first time. Which is exactly the same thing that happened when I got my first expensive knife (which I've since lost, hence the replacements) about 7-8 years ago. No stitches required, but I have 4 different band-aids on my hands, just cos you need to pay a bit more attention to using good knives properly, and I haven't been.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back