Society & Culture What did you buy yourself for Christmas?

Remove this Banner Ad

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
As a 40 year old who spends most Christmases alone, I find it a pretty good excuse to lash out on a good Christmas present for myself.

This year my vape store gave me a free $750 vape; I've just gone and picked myself up a real nice set of Wusthof knives (I might've preferred Shun, but stock has been a bummer in Melbourne over the last week, and I'm still very happy with Wusthof.)

I don't care what you're buying other people - unless you have young ones and you're buying them lego - I want to hear what the adults with money to spend on themselves are buying.

Did anyone do anything crazy? (I note there's a few people with OS holidays going on this Xmas.)

Yeah I do this more on my birthday than Xmas tho.

My usual go tos are something from Swarovski or a new handbag.

Next January before school goes back I'll be definitely splurging on updating my wardrobe. That's more out of necessity than want tho. I literally never buy clothes, like never during the year anyway.

We’re in Hawaii at the moment to celebrate Christmas and the husband’s 50th 😊

A very expensive present to ourselves but I haven’t felt this FREE and relaxed in years.
Enjoy! And wish HBF a happy birthday from us. :thumbsu:

We’re in Hawaii at the moment to celebrate Christmas and the husband’s 50th 😊

A very expensive present to ourselves but I haven’t felt this FREE and relaxed in years.

Noooiiice. This is what I was hoping to hear about!

Enjoy - and slip, slop, slap, slide!

I'm really hating Christmas. Aside from getting something for my son that won't even get to him I can't see the point in exchanging gift cards or money.

The only purchases I've been making are for my garden and working around the yard. I was going to buy a $300 compound saw but saved myself the coin and bought a $10 carpenters saw instead and it's working just fine.

New bookcases to replace the old ones which were falling apart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In keeping with my shitty day, I’m not in love with the knives I bought myself, I’m going to try and exchange them tomorrow.

They let me return the overpriced, oddly weighted (German) Wusthof knives today, so that's good. Sadly they didn't have the (Japanese) Shun ones that I actually wanted, but they should be here in a few days.

How much difference in price are they ?

Much of a muchness really - the Shun will end up cheaper, but it doesn't have the bread knife that the Wusthof block had. I'm not much of a bread eater though, so it didn't really matter.

I've had a Shun knife before that I accidentally lost, they're incredible.

Much of a muchness really - the Shun will end up cheaper, but it doesn't have the bread knife that the Wusthof block had. I'm not much of a bread eater though, so it didn't really matter.

I've had a Shun knife before that I accidentally lost, they're incredible.

Good really good knifes are underrated imo

Good really good knifes are underrated imo

I had to order them sadly, they'll take a few days to get here - but I'm really excited about the Japanese Shun knives. In hindsight I don't know why I left the store with the German Wusthof's the other day, cos I was never excited about them.

Sadly, after spending about $300 on knives, I've also had to drop about $125 on some induction cookware today. I haven't done much cooking since I got miserable and fat during COVID, but I had fun doing some solo cooking yesterday, it reminded me of how much I used to enjoy it. Anyway, I went to do some cooking today and learned that the vast majority of my cookware doesn't work with the induction cooktop in my new place. I've never had induction heating before. (I also can't believe I haven't used a fry pan in the 9ish weeks since I moved!) Got the cookware at great prices though, Boxing Day was a pretty good time to realise I needed it.

Then while I was on a roll, I ordered a couple of cookbooks as well. Again, they were things I got at great prices for Boxing Day - the kind of books I'd been aware of for probably 2-3 years, but pulled the trigger on today when they were good prices.

Turns out I've looked after myself quite well this Christmas. Knives and cookware are things that you need, but I've made sure I spent enough that they're the type that will be fun to use.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back