We’ll fight radical Islam for 100 years, says ex-army head Peter Leahy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly is your point? Sharks don't kill many people a year either, doesn't mean I'm going to frolic next to them when I'm in the water.

Oh and I love the graph there too:

View attachment 72825

Beware the Left and Latinos.
Damnit, I need to finish my posts before posting rather than via edits.

Now, pushing the inclusive date back to 1970 might dilute the happenings of the past twenty years a bit, the point still stands that extremists of all kinds are a danger to society. Islamic extremism just happens to have a large following in the middle east (which should be combated somehow if you ask me, but how is the question. It sure didn't work out last time).

Reds under the bed is not the best analogy as islamic extremism as you point out poses a more credible threat, but I do think the threat of islamic extremism to australian soil is exaggerated for similar reasons.

Damnit, I need to finish my posts before posting rather than via edits.

Now, pushing the inclusive date back to 1970 might dilute the happenings of the past twenty years a bit, the point still stands that extremists of all kinds are a danger to society. Islamic extremism just happens to have a large following in the middle east (which should be combated somehow if you ask me, but how is the question. It sure didn't work out last time).

Reds under the bed is not the best analogy as islamic extremism as you point out poses a more credible threat, but I do think the threat of islamic extremism to australian soil is exaggerated for similar reasons.
I'm not concerned about Islamic extremism here either because the majority Muslims, especially those who adopt Australian secular values, are not extremist or violent.

But our government has become far too tolerant (because of the fear mongering of the Left regarding racism) and far too lazy in background checking and so that danger is ever present. There are no shortage of extremist preachers operating in Australia and other Western countries. One man can inspire numerous others to violence. I would prefer that anyone found involved in any form of extremism be denied entry, whether as a refugee or as a general immigrant.

This is why multiculturalism is an abject failure. No-one has to prove they are coming here because of our values and culture. Many come here for money and comfort only.

That should never happen.

If all the whites would go back to where they come from before complaining about Islamic extremism, that'd be great.

What exactly is your point? Sharks don't kill many people a year either, doesn't mean I'm going to frolic next to them when I'm in the water.

Oh and I love the graph there too:

View attachment 72825

Beware the Left and Latinos.

The chart is interesting, but also a bit misleading.

It covers 1980-2005, and from looking at the data behind it, a fair bit has changed over that time. Makes me curious for more recent info and trends. e.g. The Jewish attacks were mostly (all?) by the Jewish Defense League which was effectively shut down by the mid 80's, as was Omega-7 (an anti-Castro group).

Latino terrorism was largely based around Puerto Rico.

Some of the terrorist acts seem not to be what I'd define as terrorism (e.g bank robbery), but most (209/318) are bombings. I suppose context would matter, but the raw data is pretty basic.

Not sure if the animal rights and environmental groups are necessarily 'extreme left wing', but I suspect that's what makes up a lot of that grouping.

'Other' seems to include one guys doing bombings of an 'alternative lifestyle club', 2 abortion/fertility clinics and 1 'pipe bombing' of an unspecified target (probably a christian extremist?).

The chart is interesting, but also a bit misleading.

It covers 1980-2005, and from looking at the data behind it, a fair bit has changed over that time. Makes me curious for more recent info and trends. e.g. The Jewish attacks were mostly (all?) by the Jewish Defense League which was effectively shut down by the mid 80's.

Latino terrorism was largely based around Puerto Rico.

Some of the terrorist acts seem not to be what I'd define as terrorism (e.g bank robbery), but most (209/318) are bombings. I suppose context would matter, but the raw data is pretty basic.

Not sure if the animal rights and environmental groups are necessarily 'extreme left wing', but I suspect that's what makes up a lot of that grouping.

'Other' seems to include one guys doing bombings of an 'alternative lifestyle club', 2 abortion/fertility clinics and 1 'pipe bombing' of an unspecified target (probably a christian extremist?).
Yep. That was my point.

You don't think it suits the government to keep the population fearful?

How delightfully naive of you.

If you need the government to be scared of muslim terrorism then you haven't been paying attention.

Because communism wasn't a credible threat? Lol. The world was nearly destroyed by communism before most people in this thread were even born. It's scary how close it went.

Perhaps you should ask the victims of the Great Leap Forward and the Khmer Rouge if the threat of communism was overblown?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because communism wasn't a credible threat? Lol. The world was nearly destroyed by communism before most people in this thread were even born. It's scary how close it went.

Perhaps you should ask the victims of the Great Leap Forward and the Khmer Rouge if the threat of communism was overblown?
I thought the context made it clear I was talking about the threat of communism on American/Australian soil. I don't think anyone would argue that Islamic extremism wasn't an immense threat to society in the middle east.

I thought the context made it clear I was talking about the threat of communism on American/Australian soil. I don't think anyone would argue that Islamic extremism wasn't an immense threat to society in the middle east.

Even in that context the threat was still immense. The Cuban missile crisis very nearly resulted in communist nukes detonating on American soil. To go back and say the threat was overblown, now that communism has been defeated, is ridiculous. The threat was very real and was a much bigger threat at the time than Islamic terrorism is now.

And FWIW the threat of Communism among the local population was not overblown either. Communism had infiltrated into many areas of western society, not least of all unions and the Labor party.

The whole "reds under the beds" meme was created by communists to try and discredit the people that were hunting them. Plenty of people still active in Australian politics today were communists, and probably still are. Lee Rhiannon being the most famous, being a lifelong Stalinist.

Last edited:
Even in that context the threat was still immense. The Cuban missile crisis very nearly resulted in communist nukes detonating on American soil. To go back and say the threat was overblown, now that communism has been defeated, is ridiculous. The threat was very real and was a much bigger threat at the time than Islamic terrorism is now.

And FWIW the threat of Communism among the local population was not overblown either. Communism had infiltrated into many areas of western society, not least of all unions and the Labor party.
Cuba was a foreign threat, and I don't think the missile crisis was overblown, but that was more an international threat than an infiltrated one.

Although I'll admit I wasn't around back then, so I'm out of my depth in a discussion about communism in Australia especially.

Did any democracies play a role in that? My memory is going. As is my ability to remember if any democracies have detonated nuclear weapons on another country before. Can you clarify for me?

Should we go back and fight he Reds?

Did any democracies play a role in that? My memory is going. As is my ability to remember if any democracies have detonated nuclear weapons on another country before. Can you clarify for me?

Is this a serious post?

Do you actually think that Communism was just misunderstood or something? Communism killed hundreds of millions of people and still killing them to this day.

Is this a serious post?

Do you actually think that Communism was just misunderstood or something? Communism killed hundreds of millions of people and still killing them to this day.
Who's denied those communist states were barbaric? Not me.

Im curious why you want to re-fight a cold war, when you guys have a perfectly scary boogeyman all lined up.

Have you enlisted?

We won that fight...Witness how people here are too embaressed to even describe themselves as left wing these days.

The broader fight however, against totalitarianism, is ongoing, be it due to political ideology or religion.

The western democracies and people who like to think for themselves.

Where has this come from?

Me laughing at how you try and hide from the label that defines you.

How are you fighting that?

By calling out ideological totalitarians like you and not letting you claim victory from your abuse and lies.

Who's denied those communist states were barbaric? Not me.

Im curious why you want to re-fight a cold war, when you guys have a perfectly scary boogeyman all lined up.

I'm just pointing out that the whole "Reds under the bed" meme isn't a good way to downplay something. There actually were reds, and they were infiltrating western societies. "Reds under the bed" was a meme created by the left to try and discourage people from stopping them. In a way, it that was that era's version of playing the racism card when someone criticises Islam.

"Reds under the bed" was a meme created by the left to try and discourage people from stopping them. In a way, it that was that era's version of playing the racism card when someone criticises Islam.
Racism card, Islam and reds under the bed all in one sentence.

I suggest you go and have a lie down. Maybe sleep it off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back