Australian politician ‘sold out’ to foreign regime after being recruited by spies, Asio boss says

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol a rare piece of bipartisanship on SRP! Politicians of all stripes lower than dogs. Could be any one of the dickheads on all sides of the political spectrum serving us this s**t sandwich.
Thinking it could be more than one.

I mean this makes it seem like it’s Andrew Robb. How did he even get away with this? He was the minister that granted the 99 year lease himself.

In October 2016, it was announced that Robb had joined the Landbridge Group,a Chinese company which had been granted a 99-year lease on Port Darwin in 2015, as a "high-level economic consultant". It was reported that Robb had accepted the $73,000 per month position before leaving Parliament.[19][20] Landbridge Group is chaired by Ye Cheng, a billionaire with links to the Chinese Communist Party. Robb's employment with Landbridge Group ended in 2018, which Robb attributed to an atmosphere increasingly critical of the Chinese government.

Requires a person to have inverted their mammoth self interest into a set of "principles", to be sneaky and rat cunning, to be duplicitous at home, at work, to self, to probably have some vices to get through those dark self - critiquing evenings, and to have been spurned in some way by the party.

Now that we've narrowed it down to about 500 persons of interest, the search can begin.

If I were to guess , I would say Canavan, Morrison , Stuart Robert, Joyce, Jane Hume or Ken Wyatt.

Edit: It's a former politician.
A member of a party old Dutto wouldn't be happy with if it actually was revealed, but he's taken the gamble that Labor won't leak it before the by-election because they are the Government and expected to/do take national security seriously.

A name that might rhyme with a famous Japanese ghost flick may spring to mind.

I mean this makes it seem like it’s Andrew Robb. How did he even get away with this? He was the minister that granted the 99 year lease himself.

In October 2016, it was announced that Robb had joined the Landbridge Group,a Chinese company which had been granted a 99-year lease on Port Darwin in 2015, as a "high-level economic consultant". It was reported that Robb had accepted the $73,000 per month position before leaving Parliament.[19][20] Landbridge Group is chaired by Ye Cheng, a billionaire with links to the Chinese Communist Party. Robb's employment with Landbridge Group ended in 2018, which Robb attributed to an atmosphere increasingly critical of the Chinese government.
Someone more recent has been under the gun.

Certainly seems like Labor is more vulnerable to Chinese interference.

Let’s not forget Mark McGowan and Dan Andrews. Surprised that matter couldn’t secure their funding for the Commonwealth Games.
Mate, there's blokes with connections to Lebanon, to Israel and China who have all attracted real scrutiny in the last few years.

They are (almost) all from the same party, most at the federal level and none are former Labor premiers.

Last edited:
hmmmmmm ..... has the identity of the 'traitor' been worked out? ...... the backtracking by some (within the short space of 24 hours it should be noted) suggests somethings afoot

I love the Cambridge 5 story because it's so absurd but I do wonder if the right sort of chap might have gone rogue here.

yes! better still, he should do what other asio heads have done and just pull his head in and continue with what should be an internal investigation. stop the headline-grabbing.

If I were to guess , I would say Canavan, Morrison , Stuart Robert, Joyce, Jane Hume or Ken Wyatt.

Edit: It's a former politician.
It’s sure as anything a former Labor MP. If it was an ex LNP MP the current government would not be insisting it remain under wraps

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The opposition also insisting it remains under wraps
Not as vociferously as Albo. And if I recall Dutton mirrored what Joe Hockey said - name the individual so that not all retired MP’s are tainted

Joel Fitzgibbon is another who had some undeclared dealings with Chinese interests.

Joel Fitzgibbon is another who had some undeclared dealings with Chinese interests.

Why Tudge?
There was a reason I heard but can't remember

My money is still on one of the names mentioned in this story....

Geoffrey Watson SC, a former counsel assisting for the NSW Independent Commission for Corruption (ICAC), called on Prime Minister Scott Morrison to crack down on what he described as foreign influences within the Liberal Party.

"This shows that a person who's now thought maybe to be a person of malign influence has got access to government at the highest level, to Mr Sukkar, a minister," he said.

Mr Watson said it was time for Mr Morrison to sack Gladys Liu in response to the revelations.

Last edited:
The recent shift towards bipartisanship could be a sign of common-sense prevailing with recognition that we don't want to expose our counter intelligence capabilities and give the dictator to the north a PR win (and probably more unfair trade sanctions when he has another childish temper tantrum that someone implied he wasn't perfect in all ways).

However in reality, both sides have probably just decided they are exposed and want to avoid scrutiny.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Alex Turnbull, a businessman and son of former Liberal PM Malcolm Turnbull, , said that he believes he may have been the target of the approach referred to by Burgess.

Alex has confirmed he was approached by suspicious overseas operatives and that he passed on details of the approach to security agencies.

While declining to go into detail, he said that the family members of politicians needed better training about how to respond to suspicious approaches.

He told news.com.au the approach was “just so brazen”.

“My reaction was to express no interest and forward the details immediately to the authorities,” he said.
Burgess!
There's a name that's got some history when it comes to spy rings

My money is still on one of the names mentioned in this story....

Geoffrey Watson SC, a former counsel assisting for the NSW Independent Commission for Corruption (ICAC), called on Prime Minister Scott Morrison to crack down on what he described as foreign influences within the Liberal Party.

"This shows that a person who's now thought maybe to be a person of malign influence has got access to government at the highest level, to Mr Sukkar, a minister," he said.

Mr Watson said it was time for Mr Morrison to sack Gladys Liu in response to the revelations.
Ol Gladys and another fellow. Someone who is in a bit of strife right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back