Is it cool that Stokes, Murdoch and Costello own Australian media?

Remove this Banner Ad

It isn't, but what are Labor actually doing about it? If they wanted to, they could break up these media empires. They could even force them to be employee-owned, instead of majority owned by rich shitbags who use their control of the media to serve their political interests. That would be a fundamental systemic change to break the media's love affair with the Coalition.

But Labor don't actually want systemic change, because they hope the media moguls can one day be turned to support them instead. I think that's a pretty forlorn hope, because rich people will always prefer the party that looks after them the most, and that's usually the main conservative party. To win their support, Labor would have to do a Tony Blair and give Uncle Rupert basically everything he wants.

It’s cool for the financial elite who uses our media as a tool to rape the county of its natural resources.

Our reward is an ever increasing housing bubble to make us feel we are getting rich.

With no industry other than being a quarry, once the tap is turned off, Australia will be exposed as an undeveloped country.

The lucky country will become the dumb country…

Where do Labor get a look in.

Bit concerning that the ABC aren’t included.
Why are my taxes going towards it if it’s essentially useless?

Also Costello does not own Nine.
You may want to do some research if you want to comment on Australian media.

He is simply the Chairman which is generally a figure-head role. It’s a bit like saying Richard Goyder owns the AFL.

I know nobody reads the Nine newspapers these days as it’s more a newsletter now however to say it’s Conservative leaning is ridiculous.

I suspect that people just see Costello is the Chairman (not realising he has zero influence on day to day running) and the default is just to assume it leans right.

A cursory look at their letters to the editor and their political pieces on a daily basis tells you where it sways. And that’s fine, it’s entitled to do that as it’s not government funded.

And the West Oz was basically McGowan’s mouthpiece for a decade.

Here are the top three opinion pieces from The Age today.
4415126846c7022c351b270da428ff63.jpg

I know nobody reads the Nine newspapers these days as it’s more a newsletter now however to say it’s Conservative leaning is ridiculous.

I suspect that people just see Costello is the Chairman (not realising he has zero influence on day to day running) and the default is just to assume it leans right.

A cursory look at their letters to the editor and their political pieces on a daily basis tells you where it sways. And that’s fine, it’s entitled to do that as it’s not government funded.

Are you saying these headlines aren't deeply conservative? not to mention condescending

'Is IR reform to remove inequalities really a good idea?'

'We know these tax cuts help rich people but it needs context'

'Helping disabled people survive costs too much, here's some other ideas'

Are you saying these headlines aren't deeply conservative? not to mention condescending

That poster doesn't say anything of substance.
They purely argue for whatever best supports their position at that time.

This is a great example.
Here, that poster is arguing that the headlines are evidence of something.
In another thread that poster is arguing that forming an opinion based on headlines is stupid.
1702246103048.png

You cannot engage with posters like that, in good faith.

Well, it’s not cool but at least there are other avenues these days. And as time passes, their influence becomes less and less. And that’s a good thing. Pretty sure the alp actually contributed to this situation.

The age has definitely veered further right under Costello’s reign. And the standard overall has also dropped-too much outsourcing to ordinary writers etc. it used to be a really good newspaper but now it’s pretty average.

The age has definitely veered further right under Costello’s reign. And the standard overall has also dropped-too much outsourcing to ordinary writers etc. it used to be a really good newspaper but now it’s pretty average.
It is not under Costello's 'reign'. He has no influence over day to day running.
Agree with you about The Age.

The Sunday and Saturday Age used to be a good read - quite weighty with different sections.
I picked it up the other day and it was like reading a school newsletter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that your interpretation from reading the shorts or did you actually read the articles in full?

It’s cool for the financial elite who uses our media as a tool to rape the county of its natural resources.

Our reward is an ever increasing housing bubble to make us feel we are getting rich.

With no industry other than being a quarry, once the tap is turned off, Australia will be exposed as an undeveloped country.

The lucky country will become the dumb country…
We have gone down even more in economic diversity.

Hell we have 3rd world economy, Dig s**t, Houses, Tourism and Education.

Pissed away one of the worlds largest resources booms as well.

The West Oz is the mining and gas industry’s mouthpiece. ALP shuts the border to allow miners to increase production = heroes. ALP passes laws to stop mining companies using outsourced labor to save costs = villians.

The West has published several opinion articles in recent days pretty much threatening to bring down the government over the new IR laws.

Nine papers are mouthpieces for Liberal wets. They salivated over people like Gladys Berejiklian and Josh Frydenburg for example.

Is it cool that Stokes, Murdoch and Costello own Australian media?

It is indeed very cool that three very astute, business savvy and have their minds and hearts on what the Australian public want own the Australian media landscape. I trust their editorial directions implicitly

Wow…. You are good. My suspicions have been confirmed … very clever.
I just couldn’t take your posts seriously … now that I know … hats off to you.
I feel bad taking this long to work yuh out.
Cheers comrade. 😂👍🎯

Remove this Banner Ad

Back