Vic The joke that is the Victorian Liberal Party.

Remove this Banner Ad

So John Pesutto keeps the leadership...for now. Expect rumblings about Pesutto's hold on the Liberal Party leadership to re-emerge after the Victorian Budget.

They're not going to go away because there are people inside the Parliamentary Liberal Party who don't want them to stop and are quite happy to keep briefing the press merely to destabilise.

I hear you but Tom Elliot giving prime air time to Posie Parker suggests the Godfathers have decided he’s toast
When a Liberal Party leader is being attacked, and attacking back, at the media who are usually falling over themselves to promote each other, you know their time is limited.

There's just no other viable leader at the moment.

And after throwing everything including the kitchen sink, staircase and bicycle at Daniel Andrews, there's not much ammunition left for Jacinta Allan.

Unless, you know, they decide to question actual policies. But I think they've sacked all those people who understand policies and legislation (the LNP and the media, that is).

When a Liberal Party leader is being attacked, and attacking back, at the media who are usually falling over themselves to promote each other, you know their time is limited.

There's just no other viable leader at the moment.

And after throwing everything including the kitchen sink, staircase and bicycle at Daniel Andrews, there's not much ammunition left for Jacinta Allan.

Unless, you know, they decide to question actual policies. But I think they've sacked all those people who understand policies and legislation (the LNP and the media, that is).
If John Pesutto loses his defamation cases in court, he will have no other choice but to quit the leadership. Expect this to happen around November/December.

If that was to occur, then Peter Dutton's chances of winning key Victorian seats at the next federal election will be reduced to zero.

They're not going to go away because there are people inside the Parliamentary Liberal Party who don't want them to stop and are quite happy to keep briefing the press merely to destabilise.
John Pesutto reminds me of the sort of Liberal that used to be prominent in Victoria. Fiscally conservative but socially progressive. Ted Ballieu was of that brush, but seemed to do nothing and was swept away.

Pesutto appears to be in the mold of Rupert Hamer - a premier everyone respected, including those on the left - but he has these various nutters dragging him down and too many in the executive in their court.

Look, I'm a staunch Labor voter but I can see this lot is tired and flabby. If John Pesutto has a unified team and moderate agenda I'd at least be prepared to listen to what he had to say.

Still shaking my head as to why didn't the Victorian Liberals do a major cleanout of the parliamentry side of the party after losing the 2014 state election. The Liberals should've got rid of a lot of the deadwood that are still there, clinging on to a last desperate chance of being in government again at the 2026 state election.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe Fat Tony Madafferi could run for leader, he's not a nazi, dresses well and can place a horses head in Moira Deemings bed if necessary.

'Lobster with alleged mobster scandal to be investigated by federal authorities
Victorian opposition leader Matthew Guy says political donations were not discussed at dinner attended by Tony Madafferi.
But recordings obtained by Fairfax quote the Liberal party figure Barrie MacMillan suggesting the dinner was to solicit donations and Guy’s office was told of Madafferi’s presence.

“You can’t associate Matthew with money, and I would have to be the intermediary, but I’m talking about a swag of money that they’re prepared to give,” MacMillan is heard saying.'

Where is the usual disclaimer that no one is suggesting any wrongdoing on the behalf of Mr Madafferi?
Is Mr Madafferi the Mafia mobster who had dinner with the then Opposition Leader Matthew Guy during the course of the 2018 Victorian election, at the exact same time the Coalition had a law-and-order policy only to have it blow up in their faces on election night, with the then Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews winning in a 'Danslide'?

* me, someone needs to replace them, we're going to be in the s**t with no opposition.
Thing is and I'm a centre left leaning voter and I vote Labor is that if they were a half decent opposition they would be well ahead in the polls. Labor has presided with a drunken arrogant fist the past few years and made many blues. Doesn't change what they have achieved the past decade but right now there on the ropes waiting for the knockout punch which isn't coming because there opposition is a complete rabble kicking own goal after own goal. This is a Bracks/Brumby scenario happening again with Andrews/Allan but it won't achieve the same result for the Libs because of the aforementioned. Allan is not popular I'll put it this way but it won't matter.

Thing is and I'm a centre left leaning voter and I vote Labor is that if they were a half decent opposition they would be well ahead in the polls. Labor has presided with a drunken arrogant fist the past few years and made many blues. Doesn't change what they have achieved the past decade but right now there on the ropes waiting for the knockout punch which isn't coming because there opposition is a complete rabble kicking own goal after own goal. This is a Bracks/Brumby scenario happening again with Andrews/Allan but it won't achieve the same result for the Libs because of the aforementioned. Allan is not popular I'll put it this way but it won't matter.
Yep, and they'll only get lazier and there'll be more and more well connected morons in important positions.

Yep, and they'll only get lazier and there'll be more and more well connected morons in important positions.
That's my theory about the right wing takeover of state branches, they're all just sitting back and waiting for a Labor government to naturally run it's course hoping that the electorate won't have fractured enough in that time for them to regain government and implement their agenda.

That's my theory about the right wing takeover of state branches, they're all just sitting back and waiting for a Labor government to naturally run it's course hoping that the electorate won't have fractured enough in that time for them to regain government and implement their agenda.
They'll still never get anything through the upper house. The ALP will get more and more hubristic to the point where voters will desert them, but it won't be just to the LNP. The only place they've lost ground is in progressive areas.

They'll still never get anything through the upper house. The ALP will get more and more hubristic to the point where voters will desert them, but it won't be just to the LNP. The only place they've lost ground is in progressive areas.
They have too much of a majority and when this happens you get lazy and show plenty of hubris. Funnily enough I think when Dan resigned it will show it as being the turning point of Victoria state politics. Labor will not enjoy a favourable run for the foreseeable future. There just isn't anybody close to the presence that Andrews had in the current government and a good opposition will at some point exploit this. Not this next election ( They will gain significant ground though to make a genuine assault to the point certainly by the next we could get landslided and it will be deserved).

They have too much of a majority and when this happens you get lazy and show plenty of hubris. Funnily enough I think when Dan resigned it will show it as being the turning point of Victoria state politics. Labor will not enjoy a favourable run for the foreseeable future. There just isn't anybody close to the presence that Andrews had in the current government and a good opposition will at some point exploit this. Not this next election ( They will gain significant ground though to make a genuine assault to the point certainly by the next we could get landslided and it will be deserved).
I don't think Andrews was actually that impressive. His Premiership will be remembered for spending a lot of money on infrastructure which had positive impacts on the economy, but has now run its course. I think he saw that writing on the wall. Allan's Premiership will be all about dampening the infrastructure spending to manage the debt/budget position (which isn't terrible, but requires a change in direction).

I think the success of Andrews at the polling booths was far more to do with LNP dysfunction than success of the ALP. The party as a whole adopting policies (anti-intellectual, regressive) which cost it urban voters might work outside Victoria, but Victoria is far more urban, so it was entirely foreseeable that adopting the same tactics as interstate in Victoria was never going to work (and never will).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back