Play Nice Maths is not for joking people about.

Remove this Banner Ad

50 per cent of Australians are of below average intelligence. That's just maths.
No they aren't, if 4 Australians have an IQ between 100-110 & 1 Australian has an IQ of 30, then 80% of Australians are above average intelligence. Although in reality that figure appears to be closer to 53%. That's just maths Jack!

No they aren't, if 4 Australians have an IQ between 100-110 & 1 Australian has an IQ of 30, then 80% of Australians are above average intelligence. Although in reality that figure appears to be close to 53%. That's just maths Jack!

There are millions of Australians. That said, maybe you're that 1.

You clearly don't understand that he confused the 'percentage' with the 'median' when analyzing data. But don't worry, you're probably in the popular majority there!
I feel like I've had this argument before in another thread but... you know median is an average, right? So 50 per cent of people below the median are below (median) average. That's maths.

I feel like I've had this argument before in another thread but... you know median is an average, right? So 50 per cent of people below the median are below (median) average. That's maths.
They're two completely different numbers mate, don't give up you're day job:

The median is the middle value in a set of data. For the IQ scale, I believe that number is 100.

IQ follows a normal distribution. So yes, half of all people are below average.

IQ follows a normal distribution. So yes, half of all people are below average.
Even if we were to assume that's the only way to plot IQ, normal distribution curves have deviations & the IQ scores are put into 5 point ranges, therefore the average IQ in basically every case will never be the median. The fact also still remains that well over 50% of Australian's are above average intelligence as well.

Last edited:
The median is the middle value in a set of data. For the IQ scale, I believe that number is 100.
IQ results fall on a normal distribution curve with a median of 100 and a standard deviation of 15

Even if we were to assume that's the only way to plot IQ, normal distribution curves have deviations & the IQ scores are put into 5 point ranges, therefore the average IQ in basically every case will never be the mean. The fact also still remains that well over 50% of Australian's are above average intelligence as well.

average = mean.

No, only mean is the average

View attachment 1794155
I'm genuinely starting to despair at the lack of understanding around averages. I'm no maths expert but I remember what I was taught in primary school (and my brother is a maths teacher, to confirm). I'll need someone better at numbers than me to explain trimean, trimedian and normalised mean, all of which are also averages.

We use three different types of average in maths: the mean, the mode and the median, each of which describes a different ‘normal’ value. The mean is what you get if you share everything equally, the mode is the most common value, and the median is the value in the middle of a set of data. You use the different averages in different situations, depending on what you want to communicate with your sums.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm genuinely starting to despair at the lack of understanding around averages. I'm no maths expert but I remember what I was taught in primary school (and my brother is a maths teacher, to confirm). I'll need someone better at numbers than me to explain trimean, trimedian and normalised mean, all of which are also averages.

This all started because you used the word "average" without clarifying, you should have used the specific word "median" as that is what you meant

"Average" in ordinary use is the sum of the numbers divided by how many numbers are on the list

No, only mean is the average

View attachment 1794155
I've deliberately stayed out of this thread until now (the tone of debate is about what I expected). But I can't let this go on any longer.

Here is some light reading, as documented by the European Union, which discusses the different types of AVERAGE.

Please don't make me use my David Warner example again... All average calculations have pros and cons, nonetheless they are measures of average.

I've deliberately stayed out of this thread until now (the tone of debate is about what I expected). But I can't let this go on any longer.

Here is some light reading, as documented by the European Union, which discusses the different types of AVERAGE.

Please don't make me use my David Warner example again... All average calculations have pros and cons, nonetheless they are measures of average.
So if you meant "median" you'd use the word "average"? Just to confuse everyone?

So if you meant "median" you'd use the word "average"? Just to confuse everyone?
It would only confuse those people who didn't understand statistics, those who do would identify the anomaly and seek clarification. The thing is, people pick up on this, and then think they are smarter than everyone else by trying to say that median isn't an average (which it is). In their attempts to look superior, they just prove that they don't understand the topic.

House prices are a good example. You hear about average house prices going up all the time. In the vast majority of cases, median price is being used as the reference point.

It would only confuse those people who didn't understand statistics, those who do would identify the anomaly and seek clarification. The thing is, people pick up on this, and then think they are smarter than everyone else by trying to say that median isn't an average (which it is). In their attempts to look superior, they just prove that they don't understand the topic.

House prices are a good example. You hear about average house prices going up all the time. In the vast majority of cases, median price is being used as the reference point.
So if someone said "50 per cent of Australians are of below average intelligence. That's just maths.", you would instantly know they are talking about "median"? How exactly?

So if someone said "50 per cent of Australians are of below average intelligence. That's just maths.", you would instantly know they are talking about "median"? How exactly?
It wouldn't surprise me if 50% of Australians are functionally illiterate.

Given I was responding to a comment about the 'average Australian' with an offhand joke, writing 'half of all Australians are below the median statistical point' would have demonstrated I don't understand how jokes work. So I instead put faith in my audience, misplaced though it now seems. And on that note...

Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

Given I was responding to a comment about the 'average Australian' with an offhand joke, writing 'half of all Australians are below the median statistical point' would have demonstrated I don't understand how jokes work. So I instead put faith in my audience, misplaced though it now seems. And on that note...

Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF
Needs its own thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back