Vic The joke that is the Victorian Liberal Party.

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of that stuff gets carted on freight trains. Particularly interstate.
Most of it gets carried on trucks. The amount of freight on the Hume instead of the neglected adjacent rail makes me want to cry.

For the record, the use of the rail costs thousands to the rail owner per trip, while road use is free.

Most of it gets carried on trucks. The amount of freight on the Hume instead of the neglected adjacent rail makes me want to cry.

For the record, the use of the rail costs thousands to the rail owner per trip, while road use is free.
That it does in the form of track access fees. Worked out on a per km and train type basis. The playing field needs to be leveled in that regard. Trucks should be billed the exact same.

The rail owner for the most part is the state government. The DIRN is leased out to ARTC.

it also results in opening housing devt opportunities.. connected to transport. Melbourne within 20 years will exhaust greenfield land supply

No one should miss the ‘old’ glen waverley or Broadmeadows, for example, just not make a planning hash of the new ones

That it does in the form of track access fees. Worked out on a per km and train type basis. The playing field needs to be leveled in that regard. Trucks should be billed the exact same.

The rail owner for the most part is the state government. The DIRN is leased out to ARTC.

My new sunglasses from Amazon will never be delivered by train, for obvious reasons. I raised the point because everyone thinks cars. The issue is multi dimensional. Real life solutions rather than ‘oh freight should be carried by train’ thought bubble

My new sunglasses from Amazon will never be delivered by train, for obvious reasons. I raised the point because everyone thinks cars. The issue is multi dimensional. Real life solutions rather than ‘oh freight should be carried by train’ thought bubble
Rail freight rarely works... its good from mine to port. But most other items even if by rail, need trucks, rail simply to expensive

Rail freight rarely works... its good from mine to port. But most other items even if by rail, need trucks, rail simply to expensive

It works when you do it properly. The US is a good example. They still have plenty of places with industrial sidings. Local trains go and pick up and drop off wagons from those sidings and go to massive marshaling yards. They then get chucked together to form massive trains that go every which way.

We will be doing something similar soon with the new freight terminal at Dandenong South with the Port Rail shuttles.

There will always be trucks needed. But we can reduce the distance they have to go.

Take the port shuttle. Instead of having to truck a container from Dandenong South to the port/Dynon rail yard you can just put it on the port shuttle round the corner.

It works when you do it properly. The US is a good example. They still have plenty of places with industrial sidings. Local trains go and pick up and drop off wagons from those sidings and go to massive marshaling yards. They then get chucked together to form massive trains that go every which way.

We will be doing something similar soon with the new freight terminal at Dandenong South with the Port Rail shuttles.

There will always be trucks needed. But we can reduce the distance they have to go.

Take the port shuttle. Instead of having to truck a container from Dandenong South to the port/Dynon rail yard you can just put it on the port shuttle round the corner.

This context is around NEL and EWL. Other than fantasy, rail freight has no relevance. It’s not taking freight off those roads

Perhaps I should have said commercial road traffic.

This context is around NEL and EWL. Other than fantasy, rail freight has no relevance. It’s not taking freight off those roads

Perhaps I should have said commercial road traffic.
The only freight using NEL or would use the EWL for that matter is stuff destined for the Hume from the likes of Dandenong South so there is some relevance.

Commerical road traffic is of course a different kettle of fish.

When Victorian Liberal MPs are summoned to give evidence in the Moira Deeming case (likely to start in September), what would be of most interest is what they really think of John Pesutto as the leader of the Liberal Party in Victoria. And you can be certain that their Labor counterparts will use the soundbites from the evidence given by the Liberal MPs who would be subeponaed by Deeming in their attack ads in the lead-up to the 2026 Victorian election. No wonder Peter Dutton is so angry about the performance of the Victorian branch of the Liberal Party.

When Victorian Liberal MPs are summoned to give evidence in the Moira Deeming case (likely to start in September), what would be of most interest is what they really think of John Pesutto as the leader of the Liberal Party in Victoria. And you can be certain that their Labor counterparts will use the soundbites from the evidence given by the Liberal MPs who would be subeponaed by Deeming in their attack ads in the lead-up to the 2026 Victorian election. No wonder Peter Dutton is so angry about the performance of the Victorian branch of the Liberal Party.

Which other Liberal MPs would be subpoenaed and for what purpose in the litigation?

It's not a congressional hearing, it's just to do with Deeming and Pessutto and their dealings with each other.

Peter Dutton being angry about the performance of the Vic branch? Is he angry that we're not the same foaming racists they have up on the outskirts of Brisbane? If I were the Vic Libs, I'd be more upset with the performance of Dutton than the other way around. Dutton and Ley are a massive liability to the Vic Libs. Dog whistling racism might work up in Qld, but it blows up in the faces of anyone who tries it down here. THere's a reason that the only two who have done such a stupid thing are Dutton and Ley. It's like they want the moderates in the party to quit so people like Deeming can take over fully. Better to have a losing Vic Libs who toe the line than a Vic Libs who might win more seats but don't like being bigots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it wasn't exactly yesterday, but if you look at the Vic State polling numbers (used to be on Wikipedia) from 2015-2018, they went up as soon as Turnbull became PM and started to plummet as soon as he was replaced by Morrison.

The biggest drag on Vic Liberal voting levels is the Federal Party and has been for some time.

keith wolahan made on interesting on-air observation on the night of the dunkley by-election that should worry conservatives (an observation that also had relevance to the state libs) - it went something like this

1. melbourne will be australias biggest city ..... and very soon
2. the path to power at the federal level WILL be determined by who wins melbourne seats (as is case at vic state level)
3. any future policy work needs to reflect this new political reality (ie the party must stop tailoring its policy platform to appease the religious conservatives in sydneys western burbs and regional australia)
4. lib hard-heads need to get their heads around this otherwise they are going nowhere - and fast (he didnt actually say this - but the inferred message was pretty much this)

keith wolahan made on interesting on-air observation on the night of the dunkley by-election that should worry conservatives (an observation that also had relevance to the state libs) - it went something like this

1. melbourne will be australias biggest city ..... and very soon
2. the path to power at the federal level WILL be determined by who wins melbourne seats (as is case at vic state level)
3. any future policy work needs to reflect this new political reality (ie the party must stop tailoring its policy platform to appease the religious conservatives in sydneys western burbs and regional australia)
4. lib hard-heads need to get their heads around this otherwise they are going nowhere - and fast (he didnt actually say this - but the inferred message was pretty much this)

This is consistent with the messaging I've heard from him inside the organisation. We need more Keiths.

I know it wasn't exactly yesterday, but if you look at the Vic State polling numbers (used to be on Wikipedia) from 2015-2018, they went up as soon as Turnbull became PM and started to plummet as soon as he was replaced by Morrison.

The biggest drag on Vic Liberal voting levels is the Federal Party and has been for some time.
When was the last time a Victorian was the leader of the Liberal Party in Canberra?

Is the USA a comparable example?

They have a population of 330 million and over 300 cities/centres of greater than 100,000 people. Australia has 27 million population and 19 cities/centes greater than 100,000.

Australia simply does not have the volume to support rail.

Punter, you might know the history better, Costello was the economic brains behind Howard, Frydenberg wasn't great, but probably the best treasurer of the recent LNP Govts.

Have the Victorians been the most successful of LNP leaders in the last 30 years (and beyond?)

Watching Nemesis and reminding myself who was who over the nine years, Frydenberg doesn't come off poorly compared to Morrison (who was fine as Treasurer), and Hockey who failed at the first hurdle. So that is probably fair comment.

There has been no shortage of talent coming from Victoria over that 30 years into the federal parliament, but the pool is becoming smaller because the number of seats we hold in Victoria keeps shrinking. Mostly due to policies aimed at winning seats elsewhere too.

Watching Nemesis and reminding myself who was who over the nine years, Frydenberg doesn't come off poorly compared to Morrison (who was fine as Treasurer), and Hockey who failed at the first hurdle. So that is probably fair comment.

There has been no shortage of talent coming from Victoria over that 30 years into the federal parliament, but the pool is becoming smaller because the number of seats we hold in Victoria keeps shrinking. Mostly due to policies aimed at winning seats elsewhere too.
Wolahan stands out in two ways. One is because he stands up for moderate Liberal values.

The other is how opposite he is to Kevin Andrews, his predecessor who sat in the seat for decades and achieved very little.

Chester has held his seat for a long time and is talented, but overlooked because the rest of the Nats in the party room are bonkers.

Sukkar, Wood, Violi are bastions in the east, Sukkar too busy being factional to be effective local MP despite his seniority. I think too many Victorian LNP MPs and Senators are too busy trying to align with Morrison/Dutton's LNP than with what Victorian voters think the LNP stands for. And this mis-match I think outlines why they're continually losing voters especially in inner city seats who don't feel represented by Federal LNP including previous and current MPs.

For example, Sukkar abstained from voting for gay marriage after 66% of his electorate voted for it and after he'd said he would abide by what his voters say. He exemplifies prioritising his own beliefs over constituents wants/needs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back