Draft Watcher Young Talent Time 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wright could realistically end up at the dogs? I can't see Brisbane taking a midfielder over a behemoth like him.

If two of the three teams ahead of Brisbane go small, then it's unlikely Wright will drop past them. But if one of the top midfielders is still on the board, then I could see it happening. Both Freeman and Close are playing this weekend, and McStay has shown he can play forward too. Potentially add in Hammelman and Uebergang, and how many tall forwards can you fit on a list? It all depends on how they rate their Academy players really.

Does Tim Jones have any chance? Another 43 possessions in his last TAC cup game. I think he is averaging over 35 in the TAC cup.

I'd have him as a rookie chance. It's hard to ignore his numbers, but he isn't particularly damaging with his touches. Average athlete, average ball user. But that's not always needed when you're an inside midfielder.

Hey Chris, just wondering what you thought of Freos chances of picking up Weller? I know you rate him very highly, do you think if he was available at our first pick we would grab him? In the past drafts of recent times we have gone best available for our first pick, except for maybe last years draft where we grabbed Apeness as a needs pick.
I think Weller could add a different dimension to our midfield and we could probably afford to take a smaller mid as we have such a big midfield already. Does Weller hit the scoreboard consistently?

Weller would definitely be best available if he were on the board at our pick, and I wouldn't hesitate in picking him. I'd pick him if I had a top 5 selection. Weller has shown he can pretty much do it all - clearances, goals, faultless disposal. I consider him the best midfielder in the draft for a reason.

He'd fit in pretty well at Fremantle around our bigger bodies, and would be able to float around as that inside/outside midfielder. He'd likely be directly competing with Crozier and Sheridan, so maybe his selection would partly depend on whether they're both still at the club next year. Trying to guess the way a particular club will draft is always hard. Corey Ellis and Jordan DeGoey are the ones who strike me as a 'Fremantle midfielder' but Weller would be best available for sure.

Gday Chris. What are your thoughts on Caleb Daniel? He's tiny, but can he make it?

Check out his Draft Watch Profile here. I started it, so it includes all my thoughts. But in summary, he'd be the #1 pick if size didn't matter.

I've hear most rate weller as a top 5 talent. How come on most draft boards he is picked late first early second?

I've hear most rate weller as a top 5 talent. How come on most draft boards he is picked late first early second?

Weller was rated as a top 5 player on BigFooty earlier in the season, but as you said has dropped down most draft boards. I think the main reason for this is because some draft journalists have had closer to the 15-20 mark. He was #14 in Twomey's form guide last month, #12 on Jon Anderson's and TAC Cup Future Stars had him at #20. So naturally, those who did rate him higher have dropped him down accordingly.

Other players have also jumped up the rankings, so someone obviously has to drop. Laverde and DeGoey have size on their side, while Ahern was able to impress more by virtue of playing more games at the Championships. Weller is a better player than all of them, but they're 'newer' names so are more interesting.

Him dropping has nothing to do with not performing.

Weller was rated as a top 5 player on BigFooty earlier in the season, but as you said has dropped down most draft boards. I think the main reason for this is because some draft journalists have had closer to the 15-20 mark. He was #14 in Twomey's form guide last month, #12 on Jon Anderson's and TAC Cup Future Stars had him at #20. So naturally, those who did rate him higher have dropped him down accordingly.

Other players have also jumped up the rankings, so someone obviously has to drop. Laverde and DeGoey have size on their side, while Ahern was able to impress more by virtue of playing more games at the Championships. Weller is a better player than all of them, but they're 'newer' names so are more interesting.

Him dropping has nothing to do with not performing.

Chris could that change once the Combine happens? , whats his number stack up like speed stamina etc

Went to the Parade yesterday to check out Watchman, Bampton and Durdin.
Watchman is your typical 18yo - 'green as grass' 'yet to fully develop' big man. He looks to be getting close to around 199cm and has put on some weight. He took some great pack marks and even though he has an awkward kicking style he split the middle with three goals. In fact most things he does looks awkward but he gets the job done. When he rucked he dominated. The lad is not a classy looking unit but his attitude to the contest is top class.

I've been pumping up Bampton for a long time but yesterday I came away a little deflated with his performance. He lacked energy around the stoppages today, preferring to wait for the ball to come to him - this could be his instructions though. Kicked a superb goal and certainly had a reasonable game but on this form wont make the league side this season.

Durdin certainly looks the part but was given the task of minding the tall backs of Norwood and was simply out muscled all day. Not his best day but certainly has good composure with the ball in hand.

A couple of players that did stand out were Roocke and Baulderstone for Norwood.
Roocke would fit into a lot of AFL squads. Great size mid fielder/forward.
Baulderstone is a big big man with a midfielders brain. Runs all day and constantly finds space around the ground. His left foot kick is superb and his rucking is a bonus.

Jesse Watchman is certainly getting things together as the season goes on, not too unlike Reece McKenzie, after having missed out at the Championships. He went through a rough patch earlier in the year, and his attitude and work rate wasn't quite there. But he is right back to his best now. Like McKenzie, I don't think he'll go particularly early in the draft but I really like him. I've said it before, but as good as some of the tall forwards in the draft are, none are really guys you could build around. Watchman has a very long way to go, but his size and attributes would give you some hope.

As for Sam Baulderstone, he's been around the mark for the last two years. Back when he was tipping the scales at close to 150kg, apparently Essendon had a chat to him and that's what kicked him into gear. Probably unlucky not to get rookied last year, but is looking good again this year and his size gives him the advantage over Keegan Brooksby as the best mature aged ruckman. He does have a bit of the Mumford's to him.

Kieran Agius kicked 9 today. Think we might have briefly discussed him but wanted to see what you think of him in general? I really like him.

All I wish is that he was taller. Can't argue with his results, but projects more as a third tall - ideally like a Jack Gunston, but possibly more Brad Hartmann. I do like him though.

Jesse Watchman is certainly getting things together as the season goes on, not too unlike Reece McKenzie, after having missed out at the Championships. He went through a rough patch earlier in the year, and his attitude and work rate wasn't quite there. But he is right back to his best now. Like McKenzie, I don't think he'll go particularly early in the draft but I really like him. I've said it before, but as good as some of the tall forwards in the draft are, none are really guys you could build around. Watchman has a very long way to go, but his size and attributes would give you some hope.

As for Sam Baulderstone, he's been around the mark for the last two years. Back when he was tipping the scales at close to 150kg, apparently Essendon had a chat to him and that's what kicked him into gear. Probably unlucky not to get rookied last year, but is looking good again this year and his size gives him the advantage over Keegan Brooksby as the best mature aged ruckman. He does have a bit of the Mumford's to him.

All I wish is that he was taller. Can't argue with his results, but projects more as a third tall - ideally like a Jack Gunston, but possibly more Brad Hartmann. I do like him though.

What height do you have for him? I read 189 at the start of the season and 185 a year ago so he could conceivably keep growing and end up 192-195. If that were to happen how would you rate his stocks? I think he's got a bit of Gunston and a bit of Tim Sumner (with more footy smarts) about him tbh. Not a typical South Australian prospect. Will definitely be one I follow closely next year as he's an interesting type.

Went to the Parade yesterday to check out Watchman, Bampton and Durdin.
Watchman is your typical 18yo - 'green as grass' 'yet to fully develop' big man. He looks to be getting close to around 199cm and has put on some weight. He took some great pack marks and even though he has an awkward kicking style he split the middle with three goals. In fact most things he does looks awkward but he gets the job done. When he rucked he dominated. The lad is not a classy looking unit but his attitude to the contest is top class.

I've been pumping up Bampton for a long time but yesterday I came away a little deflated with his performance. He lacked energy around the stoppages today, preferring to wait for the ball to come to him - this could be his instructions though. Kicked a superb goal and certainly had a reasonable game but on this form wont make the league side this season.

Durdin certainly looks the part but was given the task of minding the tall backs of Norwood and was simply out muscled all day. Not his best day but certainly has good composure with the ball in hand.

A couple of players that did stand out were Roocke and Baulderstone for Norwood.
Roocke would fit into a lot of AFL squads. Great size mid fielder/forward.
Baulderstone is a big big man with a midfielders brain. Runs all day and constantly finds space around the ground. His left foot kick is superb and his rucking is a bonus.

I thought Durdin was pretty good. Only had a goal or two kicked on im and spread from the back lines well.
The midfield were very unaccountable so for him to keep his direct opponent like he did i thought he was very good. Possibly in Wests best

Hey Chris,

What are your thoughts on Tom Templeton from the Rebels?

He's had a really good year, and from what I'm hearing was BOG in the Shield final on the weekend too. He's been arguably the Rebels most consistent player this season, along with Daniel Butler. I was reading something where Templeton said he is more comfortable with the speed of the game now, and is a lot more trusting of his kicking too. And I think that's been evident in his performances. But, he does seem to play his best football off the half back line and he doesn't really have the size that recruiters are looking for in that position. Seems you need to be really strong defensively or an elite ball user to get a look in as a sub 185cm half back.

I imagine he'll get rookie listed, and his improvement this year suggests there will be more to come. But I'm not entirely convinced there is a role for him at the top level.

He's had a really good year, and from what I'm hearing was BOG in the Shield final on the weekend too. He's been arguably the Rebels most consistent player this season, along with Daniel Butler. I was reading something where Templeton said he is more comfortable with the speed of the game now, and is a lot more trusting of his kicking too. And I think that's been evident in his performances. But, he does seem to play his best football off the half back line and he doesn't really have the size that recruiters are looking for in that position. Seems you need to be really strong defensively or an elite ball user to get a look in as a sub 185cm half back.

I imagine he'll get rookie listed, and his improvement this year suggests there will be more to come. But I'm not entirely convinced there is a role for him at the top level.
Thanks for that. I did a search for him on the phantom draft board and the only mention of him was by you when previewing North Ballarat but he seems to have got a combine invite.

Hey Chris,

Thoughts on possibility of port taking Caleb Daniel and Jesse Watchman? Also who do you believe we will take with our first? (not out of these two just generally)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Chris,

Thoughts on possibility of port taking Caleb Daniel and Jesse Watchman? Also who do you believe we will take with our first? (not out of these two just generally)

I think Port Adelaide would be one of the teams interested in Caleb Daniel, as well as Jake Johansen. They've already got a talented midfield, and a midfield with some size to it. So they could afford to take a smaller player, and they'd be able to find a spot up forward for them. Not sure about Jesse Watchman though, that probably depends on whether both John Butcher and Mason Shaw are at the club next year. Watchman is perhaps a little too similar to them - talented, but raw. I just don't see him having a real early impact. But then again, he'll be a third round pick so you're not exactly breaking the bank to get him.

With your first round pick, I think it'll just be a case of best available - one of Hugh Goddard or Tom Lamb should fall, and I could see Port taking either.

Hi Chris
What small defenders are the available in this year's draft? With Newman nearing the end and Morris a huge liability with ball in hand I'd be keen for us to look at replacements

I think Port Adelaide would be one of the teams interested in Caleb Daniel, as well as Jake Johansen. They've already got a talented midfield, and a midfield with some size to it. So they could afford to take a smaller player, and they'd be able to find a spot up forward for them. Not sure about Jesse Watchman though, that probably depends on whether both John Butcher and Mason Shaw are at the club next year. Watchman is perhaps a little too similar to them - talented, but raw. I just don't see him having a real early impact. But then again, he'll be a third round pick so you're not exactly breaking the bank to get him.

With your first round pick, I think it'll just be a case of best available - one of Hugh Goddard or Tom Lamb should fall, and I could see Port taking either.

hmmm port have a fair stack of small players , and i dont think we would be overly keen adding more unless they are best available at their pick by a fair margin. jakes kicking worries me also.

as for watchman you are correct port have butch shaw and harvey as developing projects so taking another tall forward might be left for more higher ranked players rather than late picked projects. but i think there is a real need for a key forward who can be a very good 2nd ruckman , and if watchman looked like he had that potential then that would push his value up for port adelaide (i dont see butch harvey or shaw as being very good 2nd rucks) redden looks like a very good 2nd ruck , and a very good forward at sanfl level (when fit) but watching him up forward all his goals come from spillages because his brain works faster then others around him rather than good leading and strong marking that we would need from a forward ruck.

i think port seems to have games when we dominate clearances and games when we dont , especially against the better clearance teams. i think our outside run is very dependent on winning first use and we need to add another very good centre square mid. moore and newton have promise in that role but i reckon we need another wines or josh carr type. peter bampton would be very good i reckon or blakely maybe with a 2nd round pick? any other really good inside mids especially in and under like a josh carr? there seems like a big gap between bampton and dean gore (who may have limited scope for development? would you agree/disagree?)

Hey Chris, what are the chances Hugh Goddard slips to Essendon?

It's always hard to say where the talls will go, personally I think Goddard will go before Essendon's first pick. I rate him ahead of Caleb Marchbank, who I think has become a bit overrated. Even though there are a lot of talls, there will be a lot of clubs interested in them. So it's not unlikely that all of Wright, McCartin, Durdin, Lever, Moore, Goddard, Marchbank and Lamb will be gone by the time the Bombers pick.

Hi Chris
What small defenders are the available in this year's draft? With Newman nearing the end and Morris a huge liability with ball in hand I'd be keen for us to look at replacements

I'd strongly consider both Josh Glenn and Alex Neal-Bullen in the second round. In the SANFL this year, they have shown themselves to be very good midfielders - both being really tough players. Glenn is the more versatile with excellent skills, and Neal-Bullen the inside clearance winner. But, both have also played good football in the back half - Glenn in particular.

It seems to me that Richmond have plenty of ball users they can rotate through the half back line, so I wouldn't be too focused with the pure half backs like Viojo-Rainbow. Although, Brayden Maynard is a very 'Richmond pick'.

i think port seems to have games when we dominate clearances and games when we dont , especially against the better clearance teams. i think our outside run is very dependent on winning first use and we need to add another very good centre square mid. moore and newton have promise in that role but i reckon we need another wines or josh carr type. peter bampton would be very good i reckon or blakely maybe with a 2nd round pick? any other really good inside mids especially in and under like a josh carr? there seems like a big gap between bampton and dean gore (who may have limited scope for development? would you agree/disagree?)

I don't think Dean Gore becomes an inside midfielder, despite his size. He just strikes me more as an outside, flanker type. Luke Tapscott, Mitch Grigg, Josh Hunt like. Even Heath Shaw. I just don't see him as developing to the level needed to be a full time midfielder. Although, I do think there is a role for him and he'd be a good pick for any team.

Either of Bampton or Blakely would be good picks in the second round, Neal-Bullen too. They'd all fill that need. In terms of the in and under types, you are looking more at the Caleb Daniel type midget. Or maybe Jack Steele from NSW. Otherwise, there aren't a lot of options for that type. But, a bigger body clearance winner like Jordan DeGoey in the first round could be an option - although as you said, you have Moore developing in that role.

One player who is very interesting, and one who I'd like Fremantle to be looking at, is Matthew Panos from Norwood. Yes, him again. He has had a remarkable season, having gone from undersized full forward to genuine inside midfielder. For someone who had never played there before, he has excelled. He is 191cm and 90kg, and has been named in the bests in 11 of 15 matches this year in the SANFL. And just this week he had 23 disposals, 7 tackles and 11 clearances - against the Port Adelaide reserves side, with Newton having just 6 clearances. Panos is a legitimate Magarey Medal chance, and is easily the most interesting mature aged midfielder in the country at the moment.

I could sense someone wanting to know about him...

I've been busy lately, so haven't had the time to do any profiles. But, I'll see if I can do something on Panos. Because he has transformed himself into a really interesting prospect.

Do you really think Brisbane will go tall Chris considering we'll be picking up Hammelmann and Andrews through the Academy? We really need a player like Petracca but there's next to no chance he'll be available at our pick. If you were Brisbane, would you offer pick 4 and a player for pick 1 or 2 so we can get Petracca or keep pick 4 and grab Brayshaw?

I could even see us trading pick 4 and a player for a mid from another team like Beams. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back