Draft Watcher Young Talent Time 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Dean Gore becomes an inside midfielder, despite his size. He just strikes me more as an outside, flanker type. Luke Tapscott, Mitch Grigg, Josh Hunt like. Even Heath Shaw. I just don't see him as developing to the level needed to be a full time midfielder. Although, I do think there is a role for him and he'd be a good pick for any team.

Either of Bampton or Blakely would be good picks in the second round, Neal-Bullen too. They'd all fill that need. In terms of the in and under types, you are looking more at the Caleb Daniel type midget. Or maybe Jack Steele from NSW. Otherwise, there aren't a lot of options for that type. But, a bigger body clearance winner like Jordan DeGoey in the first round could be an option - although as you said, you have Moore developing in that role.

One player who is very interesting, and one who I'd like Fremantle to be looking at, is Matthew Panos from Norwood. Yes, him again. He has had a remarkable season, having gone from undersized full forward to genuine inside midfielder. For someone who had never played there before, he has excelled. He is 191cm and 90kg, and has been named in the bests in 11 of 15 matches this year in the SANFL. And just this week he had 23 disposals, 7 tackles and 11 clearances - against the Port Adelaide reserves side, with Newton having just 6 clearances. Panos is a legitimate Magarey Medal chance, and is easily the most interesting mature aged midfielder in the country at the moment.

Yeah love your work there (and the marchbank is overrated comment too).

Seen Panos a few times now and I think he's a really interesting proposition. Looks an exceptional state league player. Doesn't accumulate high numbers though and with a jump in standard I'm not sure he'd be a prolific ball winner at AFL level (which might be a bit of a deal-breaker) but what he does he's doing with real quality ATM. I'd definitely pick him up.

Seen Panos a few times now and I think he's a really interesting proposition. Looks an exceptional state league player. Doesn't accumulate high numbers though and with a jump in standard I'm not sure he'd be a prolific ball winner at AFL level (which might be a bit of a deal-breaker) but what he does he's doing with real quality ATM. I'd definitely pick him up.

The most interesting thing about him is that in the space of one year he has become the most interesting midfielder in any state league. For me, that sort of development trumps long term performances. There are others who will win more ball, but nobody else has his size and clearance ability. He has been good for anywhere around 20 and 25 touches in the SANFL, so you'd be looking at a David Myers type.

Do you really think Brisbane will go tall Chris considering we'll be picking up Hammelmann and Andrews through the Academy? We really need a player like Petracca but there's next to no chance he'll be available at our pick. If you were Brisbane, would you offer pick 4 and a player for pick 1 or 2 so we can get Petracca or keep pick 4 and grab Brayshaw?

I've said it elsewhere, but I wouldn't go tall if I were Brisbane. With the likes of Freeman, Close, McStay and potentially Hammelman, Uebergang, Andrews and Jackson as Academy picks they have a lot of players. You'd be struggling to fit them all in the Reserves side. But depending on where they pick, it could well be that a KPP is the value selection.

What I would consider, is going the other way in regards to a trade. And trade pick 4 down to around pick 10, and pick up another second round pick. Chances are most of Brisbane's picks will be used on their tall Academy players. So getting an extra pick after the bidding has occured, means you can grab another midfielder while not missing out on the Queenslanders. A Weller, Duggan or DeGoey at 10 wouldn't be far off what Brayshaw offers at 4. Always easier said than done with trades, but you may find a team who really wants someone like Lever or Durdin and will be willing to trade.

Can you give us an update on how these players are travelling?
Mac Bower
Dean Gore
Oleg Markov
Josh Glenn

Oleg Markov has made his return to the SANFL U18s for North Adelaide, having played the last three games after nearly 3 months out injured. He's still working his way into it though, and has only shown glimpses of his ability primarily across half forward.

Mac Bower has been pretty disappointing this year. I was a big fan coming into the season, and the talent is still there, but he just hasn't really done anything this year. He has spent the season in the Reserves for Norwood, so admittedly I'm sure he'd have some more eye catching performances if he were in the U18s. But even his Reserves form was better last year. He's also spent the season down back, which is a bit of a shame - considering he did have a 7 goal haul in one Reserves game last year. He just hasn't had a big chance to show off his attacking game, and down back if serviceable with 10-15 touches a game. He should still get picked, but it's looking more and more like being as a rookie.

I wrote a bit about Dean Gore elsewhere recently, and he's spent most of the season in the seniors for Sturt - playing more behind the ball as opposed to midfield, which is one of the big question marks I have over him. He's been competing well against the senior bodies, but hasn't stood out as others have.

And Josh Glenn just seems to get better every week. Having made his name as a defender, he's become one of the more damaging midfielders in the SANFL this year and is good for a goal a game. I think he'll get drafted early in the second round, and would be a legitimate rising star chance next year.

Do you really think Brisbane will go tall Chris considering we'll be picking up Hammelmann and Andrews through the Academy? We really need a player like Petracca but there's next to no chance he'll be available at our pick. If you were Brisbane, would you offer pick 4 and a player for pick 1 or 2 so we can get Petracca or keep pick 4 and grab Brayshaw?

I could even see us trading pick 4 and a player for a mid from another team like Beams. Thoughts?

we dont have anything of real value that we would be willing to give up either

Hey chris
Just wondering your thoughts on Goddard? I think with the injuries compiling with Mcpharlin this year he, Goddard could be a good option at our first pick if he is still available. Do you see Goddard as more of a defender or forward?

Chris

Tom Keough - West Adelaide

Played a few games as a key forward and was ok.
Has moved to Centre Half Back this year and has been one of the clubs best.

Would there be any interest for him as a Rookie?
Still only 21, Good Skills, Can play either end, Athletic and strong in a one on one.

Thanks

Chris

Still only 21, Good Skills, Can play either end, Athletic and strong in a one on one.

Thanks
I've liked Keogh for a while now. Down back he looks comfortable and composed.

Hi Chris, love your work - just wondering if you have done a profile fo Connor Menadue yet? If so can you re-post it please and where do you see him going? Is he a first rounder?

I've said it elsewhere, but I wouldn't go tall if I were Brisbane. With the likes of Freeman, Close, McStay and potentially Hammelman, Uebergang, Andrews and Jackson as Academy picks they have a lot of players. You'd be struggling to fit them all in the Reserves side. But depending on where they pick, it could well be that a KPP is the value selection.

What I would consider, is going the other way in regards to a trade. And trade pick 4 down to around pick 10, and pick up another second round pick. Chances are most of Brisbane's picks will be used on their tall Academy players. So getting an extra pick after the bidding has occured, means you can grab another midfielder while not missing out on the Queenslanders. A Weller, Duggan or DeGoey at 10 wouldn't be far off what Brayshaw offers at 4. Always easier said than done with trades, but you may find a team who really wants someone like Lever or Durdin and will be willing to trade.

Chris25 would Melb be smart to do a similar thing with the GCS? Trade pick 4 for GC picks 9 & 15. all depends on if GC want someone bad enough early to do trade. Id think something like an Ahern & DeGoey combo would be better than Brayshaw alone. Thoughts?

Hey chris
Just wondering your thoughts on Goddard? I think with the injuries compiling with Mcpharlin this year he, Goddard could be a good option at our first pick if he is still available. Do you see Goddard as more of a defender or forward?

I prefer Goddard as a defender, just don't think he has the game to really impose himself as a forward. Like Harry Taylor and James Frawley, I'm sure he could pinch hit well. But, I think he'd struggle if he played there every week and teams were actually putting work into stopping him. As a defender, he has the size and athleticism to be a very good player. A long way to go before saying he'll be able to take the #1 forward every week like a McPharlin, but he ticks a lot of boxes and he's one player I'd strongly consider if available when Fremantle pick. I do think we need a stronger bodied KPD to partner Alex Pearce.

Hi Chris, love your work - just wondering if you have done a profile fo Connor Menadue yet? If so can you re-post it please and where do you see him going? Is he a first rounder?

No profile for Menadue yet, I've been really busy lately unfortunately. But, I see him as a second/third round pick. Lots to like with his height and running ability, but he really does lack the ability to win his own ball. Comparing him to Isaac Smith is drawing a pretty long bow in my opinion. I'd personally rather Oleg Markov as that similar type, who I think will go first too.

I doubt GC would do this. They need as much depth as possible at this stage. Top end talent isn't the issue.

I agree. I'm sure the Suns would absolutely love Petracca, but getting another top line player isn't really needed - not with Martin and O'Meara developing, and Bennell yet to truly reach his best. They'd be better off getting more bodies in, perhaps Lachie Weller and someone like a Tom Lamb if available. They could almost focus entirely on the forward 50 this draft, getting some more guys to put at the feet of their tall forwards - particularly a medium marking option.

Chris

Thanks

I agree that Keough has looked better down back and 2014 has been his best year to date, but I'm not sure about his draft chances. Typically teams only draft mature aged players when they are #1 KPPs. I think Keough projects more as a second or even third tall defender. Alexis Georgiou was a standout for years before he finally got a chance.

I'm not sure we'll see many talls from the SANFL get picked up this year, although Liam Davis from Norwood seems to improve every week and is really finding his feet at senior level now. Powerful 195cm forward, maybe he gets a rookie spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No profile for Menadue yet, I've been really busy lately unfortunately. But, I see him as a second/third round pick. Lots to like with his height and running ability, but he really does lack the ability to win his own ball. Comparing him to Isaac Smith is drawing a pretty long bow in my opinion. I'd personally rather Oleg Markov as that similar type, who I think will go first too.

While I too like a lot of what Markov can do, I was wondering what you're making of his 18s form. Consistently in that 10-15 possession bracket in 18s when most of the draft hopefuls are already doing some good stuff at league/ressies level and he's not really even imposing himself upon the 18s comp.

I want to like him and you're clearly sold so I'm just curious - where do you think the future performances will come from? Do you think he's a late bloomer/has more upwards potential than most?

I'm just surprised that someone with his raw ability's been struggling so much.

I respect you opinion Chris, however I watch a lot of Tac cup and have seen the Jets numerous times, Menadue playing of the back flank consistently will beat his opponent one on one, he is also an excellent contested mark and strong tackler, saying he doesn't win contested ball is just wrong.

I respect you opinion Chris, however I watch a lot of Tac cup and have seen the Jets numerous times, Menadue playing of the back flank consistently will beat his opponent one on one, he is also an excellent contested mark and strong tackler, saying he doesn't win contested ball is just wrong.

I'm not saying he isn't a good tackler or strong over head for someone his size, but neither of those things mean he is a good contested ball winner. About 60% of his disposals come from marks or handball receives - pretty normal for an outside player, but from what I've seen he does rely in a large part on being fed the ball. It's not really a criticism because I don't expect much from Menadue in that regard, just an observation as to why I wouldn't be taking him higher than the second/third round.

While I too like a lot of what Markov can do, I was wondering what you're making of his 18s form. Consistently in that 10-15 possession bracket in 18s when most of the draft hopefuls are already doing some good stuff at league/ressies level and he's not really even imposing himself upon the 18s comp.

I want to like him and you're clearly sold so I'm just curious - where do you think the future performances will come from? Do you think he's a late bloomer/has more upwards potential than most?

I'm just surprised that someone with his raw ability's been struggling so much.

Firstly, I don't think you can compare Oleg Markov to the guys performing at higher levels in the SANFL. Peter Bampton, Caleb Daniel, Alex Neal Bullen, Dean Gore, Cory Gregson and the like are all very different players and are much more suited to playing against the stronger bodies.

In terms of Markov, the first half of this season was a complete write off due to injuries. And I have no doubts that's what we're seeing with his performance so far in 2014. He had played primarily school football, having not even played U18 football before this year. So he was arguably a step behind coming into the season, and not being able to get onto the park hasn't helped at all. But, he has shown glimpses of his potential. His skills have been evident in every game I've seen, and he's shown some good versatility in having been moved around from half forward to midfield and half back. As for where his performances will come from, I just look at one of his earlier matches - 20 disposals at around 85% efficiency along with 3 marks, 2 tackles, 3 clearances, 6 inside 50s and 3 rebound 50s. Had he not been missing through injury, I think we would have seen a lot more of these types of performances and he would have been pushing for a late season league debut in my opinion.

I do think he has more upside than most and, given everything he offers, I don't expect his numbers to be enough to put off scouts and recruiters. Wait until the Combine and I imagine a few more eyes will be opened.

Firstly, I don't think you can compare Oleg Markov to the guys performing at higher levels in the SANFL. Peter Bampton, Caleb Daniel, Alex Neal Bullen, Dean Gore, Cory Gregson and the like are all very different players and are much more suited to playing against the stronger bodies.

In terms of Markov, the first half of this season was a complete write off due to injuries. And I have no doubts that's what we're seeing with his performance so far in 2014. He had played primarily school football, having not even played U18 football before this year. So he was arguably a step behind coming into the season, and not being able to get onto the park hasn't helped at all. But, he has shown glimpses of his potential. His skills have been evident in every game I've seen, and he's shown some good versatility in having been moved around from half forward to midfield and half back. As for where his performances will come from, I just look at one of his earlier matches - 20 disposals at around 85% efficiency along with 3 marks, 2 tackles, 3 clearances, 6 inside 50s and 3 rebound 50s. Had he not been missing through injury, I think we would have seen a lot more of these types of performances and he would have been pushing for a late season league debut in my opinion.

I do think he has more upside than most and, given everything he offers, I don't expect his numbers to be enough to put off scouts and recruiters. Wait until the Combine and I imagine a few more eyes will be opened.

Has "the Ukrainian" been picked for the draft camp?

Watchman and Durdin both qualified for Westies Under 18s in the Finals. A big series could see them push up the draft board

Watchman and Durdin both qualified for Westies Under 18s in the Finals. A big series could see them push up the draft board

Not so much of an issue for Durdin. Although he's dropped behind McCartin and Wright in the race to be the first KPP taken, he's well entrenched in the top 10 and at worst shouldn't make it past Adelaide's selection.

But for Watchman, it could really help his standing. After finally finding form in the back half of the year, a good finals series would be an excellent way to finish off 2014 - particularly after his disappointing start and being unable to crack the SA side at the U18 Championships. Obviously he didn't do much in the seniors for West Adelaide over the past couple of weeks, but just making his debut is a big positive. Considering the depth of second round KPP talent, there's no guarantee that Watchman is picked before the rookie draft. Pure talent has never been his issue though, and he could be a good late round pick up - particularly if a team reaches on Reece McKenzie or the less talented Jack Cripps, and a club is left searching for another option.

Hey Chris, are there any other prospects besides webb and press in the third/second round that you believe port may draft?

Haven't had the chance to do anymore profiles, but my three round draft was looking pretty out of date. So, I did manage to do a quick update of that. 11 players made it in since my last update.
Thanks Chris, always good to see a guide.

Just a thought though, would you be able to add an 'updated on xxx' (or similar) script note to the end of the main post? Appears edits by mods don't show up, so you can't tell when latest edit happened.

Also, I know it was quick but you forgot Gold Coast's third round compo pick from Collingwood. I mention it because you were the only phantom draft I've seen that includes that selection!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back