Draft Expert 2023 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Not that anyone has been asking, but yes I'm still here.

And I'm back for another year, just a bit later than usual. Back to bring more quality calls like Nick Daicos will be a better player when he's winning his own ball and delivering it inside 50, not running around the back half looking for cheap touches. Or that Finn Maginness was a first round talent. I guess one of them proved true on the weekend at least...

Anywhere, here's my board. Complete with a hint of SA bias...

1. Harley Reid (185cm mid, Vic Country)
2. Jed Walter (195cm forward, Gold Coast)
3. Zane Duursma (189cm mid, Vic Country)
4. Nick Watson (170cm forward, Vic Metro)
5. Ryley Sanders (186cm mid, Tasmania)
6. Colby McKercher (181cm mid, Tasmania)
7. Daniel Curtin (195cm defender, WA)
8. Caleb Windsor (184cm from Vic Country)
9. Connor O'Sullivan (198cm defender, Vic Country)
10. Joel Freijah (191cm mid, Vic Country)

11. Ethan Read (202cm ruck, Gold Coast)
12. Darcy Wilson (185cm mid, Vic Country)
13. Ashton Moir (188cm forward, SA)
14. Nate Caddy (192cm forward, Vic Metro)
15. Lance Collard (180cm forward, WA)
16. James Leake (188cm defender, Tasmania)
17. Riley Hardeman (188cm defender, WA)
18. Angus Hastie (189cm defender, Vic Country)
19. Arie Schoenmaker (194cm defender, Tasmania)
20. Jake Rogers (171cm mid, Gold Coast)

21. Koltyn Tholstrup (188cm forward, WA)
22. Taylor Goad (208cm ruck, SA)
23. Archie Roberts (184cm defender, Vic Metro)
24. Harry DeMattia (184cm mid, Vic Country)
25. Will McCabe (197cm defender, SA)
26. Phoenix Gothard (178cm forward, Allies)
27. Mitch Edwards (206cm ruck, WA)
28. Clay Hall (190cm mid, WA)
29. Luke Lloyd (193cm forward, Vic Metro)
30. Jordan Croft (200cm forward, Vic Metro)

31. Will Graham (186cm mid, Gold Coast)
32. Koen Sanchez (176cm mid, WA)
33. Charlie Edwards (191cm mid, Vic Metro)
34. Ollie Murphy (200cm defender, Vic Metro)
35. Jack Delean (181cm forward, SA)
36. Luamon Lual (181cm defender, Vic Metro)
37. Will Patton (192cm defender, SA)
38. Cooper Simpson (181cm mid, Vic Country)
39. Caiden Cleary (180cm mid, Sydney)
40. Bodie Ryan (188cm defender, SA)

41. Zane Zakostelsky (196cm defender, WA)
42. Harvey Johnston (183cm mid, Vic Metro)
43. Tew Jiath (188cm defender, Vic Country)
44. George Stevens (189cm mid, Vic Country)
45. Will Green (204cm ruck, Vic Metro)
46. Lachlan Charleson (176cm forward, Vic Country)
47. Will Dawson (200cm defender, Vic Country)
48. Kane McAuliffe (187cm mid, SA)
49. Thomas Anastasopoulos (176cm forward, Vic Country)
50. Archer Reid (203cm forward, Vic Country)

Last edited:
I liked what I saw of Bodie Ryan at the championships. How’s he gone in the SANFL?

Consistent. Hasn’t always been challenged all that much as a defender in the games he’s played for Glenelg, but certainly does his job. I’d like to see him get pushed up to the wing a little more, see if he can get on the scoreboard.

Overall, I don’t think it’s a great draft crop. So I look for players with AFL attributes, even if they aren’t the ‘best’ performing players. And I think Ryan is one of them.

No love for my man Mo Taha old mate?

Obviously didn’t get a great run at champs but has been in scintillating form at U18 level in Victoria with the Cannons.

Essendon’s (2023 and 2024) NGA crop look like a bloody good bunch. Doubt any this year become top liners but next years have two potential top 40 kids. Jayden Nguyen and Isaac Kako

What’s your read on Moir? Was disappointing in the Champs, seemed to lack intensity and effort at times. Some suggestion of a hip injury. You’ve got him quite high still so I guess you’re still pretty positive.

Iam glad you mention Taylor Goad no one else has been mentioning him.
WCE have shown huge interest in him, and i believe they will draft him

Chris as previously said the following (2023 young talent time):

"He came into the season with high expectations and hasn’t quite reached them this year…yet. So his performances simply would dictate being picked later. But the talent is obviously there.

He was hampered by a hip complaint early in the season though and took a while to really get going. And playing in a bad side doesn’t help either.

For me, there’s a difference between being soft and just being an outside player…something the draft watchers who only see the Champs seem to forget. I wouldn’t want Moir at the bottom of every pack, he’s far too damaging in space for that. Let the less talented players go in and do that. He doesn’t hide from contact either though.

He can win a game off his own boot. Even if it’s just from a 5 minute burst up forward. Also showed some decent signs behind the ball with his skills and vision.

The knock? I guess the same as Liam Henry. Will he truly find a role? I think so."

On the question of effort:

"I don’t like commenting on attitude because I don’t know these kids. It’s all just people inferring based on watching a broadcast.

He could just be playing his role within the side. And no doubt playing to his strengths.

Talent gets you to the top level, effort keeps you there. So I guess we’ll see in a few years time."

Always very appreciative of Chris25's read on players across the country, and obviously he has been asked about Moir a lot.

Great thread.

I still wouldn’t give North any draft assistance.

No love for my man Mo Taha old mate?

Obviously didn’t get a great run at champs but has been in scintillating form at U18 level in Victoria with the Cannons.

Draft boards will vary greatly after the first 20 or so this year. For me, Taha is a late pick or Cat B. He's good at what he does, but lacks hurt factor in the games I've seen and the same goes for positional versatility.

What’s your read on Moir? Was disappointing in the Champs, seemed to lack intensity and effort at times. Some suggestion of a hip injury. You’ve got him quite high still so I guess you’re still pretty positive.

Ysaye copied over my posts from the Fremantle board, and it pretty much sums it up. Don't get me wrong, it's been a disappointing season for Moir. I had really high hopes. But coming back to what I said before, I don't love the draft crop this year. And the performances are lacking, but Moir is still more naturally talented than 99% of the players on offer.

My hope hasn't faded yet.

Iam glad you mention Taylor Goad no one else has been mentioning him.
WCE have shown huge interest in him, and i believe they will draft him

I did have Goad higher, closer to the 20 mark when I started working out the order. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up the best ruck from this draft and I could see a team going early in the second round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris25 Always enjoy your contrarian views...

but i would be stupefied if George Stevens is not in the top40

He probably does feature anywhere in that 25-50 range. I haven’t seen his game from the weekend yet, but the stats look good. One thing that definitely works in his favour is the lack of ball winning inside mids in the draft, I don’t have many at all in my rankings - and I do consider him a mid, not a half back. So if a team wants one, it may well be Stevens.

In terms of my rankings, I always lean towards speed and athleticism. Neither of which are strengths to his game. As good as he is inside, his weaknesses will rule him out for some clubs.

He probably does feature anywhere in that 25-50 range. I haven’t seen his game from the weekend yet, but the stats look good. One thing that definitely works in his favour is the lack of ball winning inside mids in the draft, I don’t have many at all in my rankings - and I do consider him a mid, not a half back. So if a team wants one, it may well be Stevens.

In terms of my rankings, I always lean towards speed and athleticism. Neither of which are strengths to his game. As good as he is inside, his weaknesses will rule him out for some clubs.

Thanks. Its probably the old story... the draft order is not a communal agreement..it only takes one club to like a player and call a name.

I'm Wa but I'm going to put in my vote for Moir.

Midfielders can easily be found. Every state asnd territory has mids and damn good ones.

Guys like Ashton Moir and Lance Collard can win a game with 10 minutes of brilliance. Our game needs more Moir's and Collard's.

I know who I'm gonna pay money to see at AFL level. Those blokes make our game exciting.

Chris if the bulldogs play this right trade 2 firsts for pick 4 and use 1st next year and trade back in they could get kercher and Wilson plus Croft - 7 years of heaven kicking it to u Hagen Naughton and Darcy …

Interesting rankings, good to see someone not following the crowd.
Freijah ahead of Duursma might surprise a few

I can think of at least one club that would love to trade back into the draft post-bidding process and grab Lual ;)

I'm Wa but I'm going to put in my vote for Moir.

Midfielders can easily be found. Every state asnd territory has mids and damn good ones.

Guys like Ashton Moir and Lance Collard can win a game with 10 minutes of brilliance. Our game needs more Moir's and Collard's.

I know who I'm gonna pay money to see at AFL level. Those blokes make our game exciting.
Big leap off faith to draft Moir any higher than the 3rd round on what he's produced in his top age year.

Big leap off faith to draft Moir any higher than the 3rd round on what he's produced in his top age year.
I know but hopefully a club will take the chance even if it's at 60 or rookie and maybe in time he'll win 2 or three games a season off his own boot. (And maybe not do much inbetween)

I know but hopefully a club will take the chance even if it's at 60 or rookie and maybe in time he'll win 2 or three games a season off his own boot. (And maybe not do much inbetween)
MAYBE bring the operative word on his 2023 output.

Hi Chris, where would you rate Caiden Cleary in your rankings?

Looks like he’s at #39. Seems the type who could go anywhere from the mid second round.

Chris if the bulldogs play this right trade 2 firsts for pick 4 and use 1st next year and trade back in they could get kercher and Wilson plus Croft - 7 years of heaven kicking it to u Hagen Naughton and Darcy …

It won’t happen, but I probably wouldn’t match a Croft bid with where it’s looking like coming - depending on how they organise their picks. I prefer the talls the Bulldogs already have. And another young tall who is probably years away doesn’t seem like a huge need right now with where the team is.

Chris - who do you think Freo will be looking at in the 22-26 range?

Also..what do you think we will get for Henry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back