List Mgmt. AFC - 2014 Drafting and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting comments on James Frawley from Leigh Matthews...

And this guy wants a salary of $700K????

Leigh Matthews believes Frawley is not in the league’s top 100 players, saying this month: “If he wasn’t a free agent, no one would be thinking about recruiting him. He’s an OK player.”

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/afl...ompensation-pick/story-fndv8pdq-1227031154227

I think his down season this year is the exact reason we should be targeting him. The guy is a gun. Easily top 100. Would be top 10 at our club in a heartbeat.

As TSR suggested below:

James Frawley All Australian, runner up in B&F, only 25 yrs old and best footy ahead of him

Not to mention the fact that he has been at an absolutely basket case of a club for his first 130 games and when he played back often took the #1 forward. Get him surrounded by Talia, Brown, Smith, Jaensch, Henderson and thats a pretty balanced backline.

You are far too caught up in the 700k. We should have plenty of room in the cap for 2015 this year. We have our best players coming out of contract at the end of 2015 so players like Danger, Sloane, Douglas all aren't on massive salaries at the moment. We would have massively frontloaded Eddie Bett's contract and should look to do the same in 2015 - using the Tippett money. Sign Frawley to a 4 year 2.4 million dollar deal. Give him 1.2 million in 2015 when we should have heaps of cap space and then 400k for seasons 2016,2017,2018.

I would much rather have James Frawley at 700k than having to trade for a 2nd key defender at 400k.

Rumour is Melbourne what 5 picks in the top 20 and are willing to give up Watts, Grimes, Trengove and Toumpass on the table to get it done.

Could work out a nice swap there involving the Crows 1st rounder.

Surely not, surely Roos is not that stupid.

This is the problem the Dees and a couple of other lowly Victorian clubs have, its all about the draft picks. Early draft picks will get save them and this is exemplified by their request for a priority pick. They are taking no responsibility for their mess and they're essentially relying on early draft picks to save them.

These draft picks then get far too much pressure lumped onto them, they're played way to early and don't receive proper development. Is it any wonder the likes of Watts, Trengove, Toumpas etc haven't lived up to expectations, or that Scully left for GWS?

They need to look at getting the right people in and around the footy club and developing the players, drilling them to an AFL level standard, rather than just relying on natural talent to pull them through. It just doesn't work, these players stall in their development and you end up with the same situation they have now, where they have a whole bunch of incomplete AFL footballers.

I'm not against trading our 1st rounder if the price is right, I often feel a lot of clubs overrate the value of draft picks when compared to the known values of many players. The thing is if it would have to be a reasonable deal for us. I wouldn't give up our first rounder for one of those players alone.

Are we still into Davis?

Was wondering what it would take to get both Davis and Giles.

GWS need to decrease their list size.
And would only use low draft picks.
We need a defender and a backup Ruckman.

Would our first round pick be up for offer to solve our 2 main issues?

Our first round pick and one of our rebounding defender to gws

For

A young outside runner and their second round pick

Or phil Davis and their second round pick

Did this analysis post Richmond game. They had 19 points.

We rebounded the ball and successfully had an inside 50 - 3 times - 15%
We turned it over and the ball went back inside our defensive 50 - 3 times - 15%
We kicked to a big contest and had a contested ball situation - 16 times - 70%

That is extremely poor considering that 85% of the time we don't retain possession.
Absolutely we should retain the ball much better than 85% of the time. But to be fair you probably need to look at the 70% that went to a contested ball situation (stoppage or loose ball).

We are pretty high for scores from stoppages, and pretty high in clearances & contested ball. So if we win more than half of the neutral 70% that takes the % from kick ins a fair bit higher.

I have no doubt it is a tactic that if we can't get a clean play from kick in we look for a stoppage situation and back us in. Sydney always did this under Roos. It's not a random play as such. It's deliberate.
Obviously the preferred play would be kick to a free man who can run on and carry and link up the whole ways towards goal. But if that option is not there we look to gain ground outside of their forward 50 and force a stoppage in neutral territory and reset.

I'm going to guess there is a good chance he has been mentioned somewhere in the 208 pages of this thread,

But does anyone know much about Keegan Brooksby from South Adelaide.

Would he make a decent backup Ruckman?

24 yr old. 197 cm.

Baulderstone from Norwood would be a better option

Why do we keep re signing all the players other clubs are interested in
Other clubs are interested in them for a reason.
Unless we have a surplus in a particular area we can't afford to trade away decent players unless we get offered a really good deal. For instance I completely supported the Vince trade last year. He wanted a long term deal, we needed a higher pick that year, he was gonna be a FA the following year. Win/Win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do we keep re signing all the players other clubs are interested in
Other clubs are interested in them for a reason.
Unless we have a surplus in a particular area we can't afford to trade away decent players unless we get offered a really good deal. For instance I completely supported the Vince trade last year. He wanted a long term deal, we needed a higher pick that year, he was gonna be a FA the following year. Win/Win.

Rumour is Melbourne what 5 picks in the top 20 and are willing to give up Watts, Grimes, Trengove and Toumpass on the table to get it done.

and we would pick Watts, I'm sure.

Maybe for any two of those... but for once, can we just pick up someone with elite disposal instead?

pleaaase drop lever, please!

our backline from 2016 onwards with lever would be unbelievable!

Henderson Lever Jaensch
Hartigan Talia Brown

smith obviously being moved to the midfield. Henderson would be at his prime at 27 for the 2016 season, and hopefully had a long time being injury free for once to settle his form. Jaensch would be 26, Brown 23, Talia 24, Hartigan 24, Lever 20.

that could be the defence of a premership side if all progress as they should or stay at the same level they are at now. add to that our midfield which will have douglas (29), dangerfield (26), sloane (26), smith (24), m. crouch (21), b. crouch (22) and possibly more good draftees as well as our forward line of jenkins (27, hopefully can mark by then), walker (26), betts (29), cameron (21), lynch (25).

regardless of this years draft i expect to be at least top 5 next year barring major injuries (pls not again), and challenging for a couple of years after that. making the finals this year would be a huge step towards the future in getting experience into them. PLEASE WIN THIS WEEKEND BOYS!

Our 1st + Lyons for the two SA lads. lol its fun to dream.

Jenkins is one of most improved players WTF are you on about
I think he's talking about how he doesn't have the aggression of the mindset to be a pack busting, contested marking KPF. He's still good and deserving of a spot in the 22, but they still need to find another big who can play that Pods style of game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back