We need a speedy small Fwd..

Remove this Banner Ad

Quite true. Leroy Jetta is a poor decision maker but is faster by foot than Andrew Krakouer ever was. However Andrew had cat like reflexes and was a good decision maker and could take a good grab. This made him a better small forward.

Yeah it's fair to say Andy was not the quickest player at Richmond and then at Collingwood towards the end of his AFL career and he was called "Snail" at Richmond. But not all players are blessed with quick foot speed, you either have it or you don't. But Andy made up for the lack of foot pace with a good football brain, good decision making, good foot passes and a great goal sense around goals - you either have those things or you don't and he had it.

I think Shane Edwards is doing a good job as the small forward role. He has very quick hands, especially in traffic and he seems to be a step ahead of the play especially when it comes to giving off the quick handpass. Plus he is doing damage on the scoreboard and 21 goals so far this season is testament to that. I have said it before on here a few times and I will say it again - "Tich doesn't have the tank to be a midfielder all the time during a game, his niche is as a small forward with bits and pieces of time in the midfield. If he can kick 25-30 goals a season then that is a win for Richmond"

Cheers.

W
William Hoskin Elliot

Would get Gartlett for depth if he was cheap enough though. Has more upside than Llyod. Llyod is unfortunately A.Edwards the second... Tall man trapped in a small mans body.

HF: S.Edwards/Deledio - Griffiths - WHE/Gordon
FF: Martin/Cotchin - Riewoldt - Vickery
WHE would complete our rotations. He would be our Fyfe

The small forward role is not necessarily a role for a player who is quick by foot. I'd take any small forward player with a good football brain, quick hands in traffic and goal sense over any quick footed small forward. You need a decision maker - a good decision maker for that small forward role.

completely agree with this sentiment.

The small forward role is not necessarily a role for a player who is quick by foot. I'd take any small forward player with a good football brain, quick hands in traffic and goal sense over any quick footed small forward. You need a decision maker - a good decision maker for that small forward role.
I present the 150 gamer Shane 'Titch' Edwards. With more midfield depth we'd be able to rest him forward a little more too and he would be a 25-30 goal a season FP.

I present the 150 gamer Shane 'Titch' Edwards. With more midfield depth we'd be able to rest him forward a little more too and he would be a 25-30 goal a season FP.

His hands are so valuable in the midfield though

I did say rest him forward, not playing him there permanently.

Yeh fair enough, i do believe without his hands in tight the last few weeks we would have lost

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Madonna
Helmut_Werb_Madonna_83.jpg

We don't necessarily need a small forward. If they are a good player then we'll take them, but it's not like it's a position that you absolutely need. The problem is that they often get shown up in finals, where they can't get loose or they choke under the extreme pressure. Ballantyne, Milne, Leon Davis, Schneider are good examples of this.

Banfield not able to fill that role? Sorry for the intrusion haven't heard a peep about him since he left brisbane I was a huge fan of him. How's he performing in the vfl

Remove this Banner Ad

Back