KPP Stocks - What We Have & What We May Need

Remove this Banner Ad

Spitballing here but... Ben Brown as a stop gap between JR8 and Ben King?

I imagine he'd come incredibly cheap at 30yo. Out of favour at the Dees with Goodloss preferring to play no one instead of him.

Rather him on 500 than HH 7 years @900
Will Smith Reaction GIF

Wouldn't take him on $50, let alone $500k. Dees are desperate for a 2nd KPF and they're leaving BB (and Tom McDonald) in the reserves, that says enough. They are both cooked.

Reckon we cool our jets this year on the trade front. We'll have Lynch back next year and another preseason of physical development into Ryan. Don't think we need HH. Not to mention Miller, Gibcus if moved forward, Bauer wasn't far off a debut. If it makes sense the following year go all-in on King when his contracts up. I'm not his biggest fan but there's * all out there in the young KPF space atm and he'd be near the front of the line.

Ben Miller - been around for 6 seasons now and has finally been able to start putting his hand up for a spot in the 22. Played 11 games in 2022 and 8 games so far in 2023 after spending 2020 & 2021 being trained up as a KPF/ruck. Turns 24 at the end of August and has got 20 games under his belt now. Should continue to get opportunity this year as a KPF who also does some ruck work.

Just a small thing, but Miller never played more than a half a game of football up forward in the VFL in the last 4 years. His first game pretty much as a forward / ruck was in the seniors. A bit pedantic, perhaps, otherwise a good writ up.

Given we have so many key backs, I think Gibcus could play forward on the flank. He is not ready for the rough and tumble of CHF or FF, but with his athleticism and marking ability, and general overall class, he could be a great half forward who works up to the wing and back. The backs would feel pretty confident seeing Gibcus leading into open spaces of the half foward/wing line.

Ben Miller - been around for 6 seasons now and has finally been able to start putting his hand up for a spot in the 22. Played 11 games in 2022 and 8 games so far in 2023 after spending 2020 & 2021 being trained up as a KPF/ruck. Turns 24 at the end of August and has got 20 games under his belt now. Should continue to get opportunity this year as a KPF who also does some ruck work.

Just a small thing, but Miller never played more than a half a game of football up forward in the VFL in the last 4 years. His first game pretty much as a forward / ruck was in the seniors. A bit pedantic, perhaps, otherwise a good writ up.
Well aware that he didn't play much game time in the ruck/forward during that time, but I do recall they spent time training him up as cover, especially during 2020.

Given we have so many key backs, I think Gibcus could play forward on the flank. He is not ready for the rough and tumble of CHF or FF, but with his athleticism and marking ability, and general overall class, he could be a great half forward who works up to the wing and back. The backs would feel pretty confident seeing Gibcus leading into open spaces of the half foward/wing line.
Just can't agree with moving Gibcus forward. Needs to be left down back where he can develop an understanding alongside the likes of Balta Young Vlastuin & Broad and possibly Brown/Banks who could be the replacements for Vlastuin & Broad down the track.

Bradtke should be shown the door at season's end and should never have been picked up in the first place.
No confidence in Bauer making it either.
However, they were speculative picks so you can't blame anyone for that.

Bradtke should be shown the door at season's end and should never have been picked up in the first place.
Bit harsh I would've thought.

Bradtke is averaging nearly 2 goals per game in the reserves this year in his first real crack at it.
Bauer has dominant periods in games and periods where he doesn't get near it. For Morris to say "contest work is as good as we have at the Club" is some big praise. Needs to improve his work rate.

I'd be giving both blokes another preseason for sure. Every MSD selection is speculative, I'd prefer we go guys with big upside than the safe Narkle type pick, who will never be more than depth.

Bit harsh I would've thought.

Bradtke is averaging nearly 2 goals per game in the reserves this year in his first real crack at it.
Bauer has dominant periods in games and periods where he doesn't get near it. For Morris to say "contest work is as good as we have at the Club" is some big praise. Needs to improve his work rate.

I'd be giving both blokes another preseason for sure. Every MSD selection is speculative, I'd prefer we go guys with big upside than the safe Narkle type pick, who will never be more than depth.
Respect your opinion.
From what I have seen, he is lumbering and just doesn't have it.

Respect your opinion.
From what I have seen, he is lumbering and just doesn't have it.
I just think he is not fit enough yet. Looks a bit heavy to me.

Speed and agility are meant to be strengths of his. Peter German said 'he’s probably in the top five best athletes as a footballer I think I’ve coached'. And '“He can kick a mile, he can take a good mark, he’s quick . . . his off-the-mark speed is outstanding . . .'

I just think he is not fit enough yet. Looks a bit heavy to me.

Speed and agility are meant to be strengths of his. Peter German said 'he’s probably in the top five best athletes as a footballer I think I’ve coached'. And '“He can kick a mile, he can take a good mark, he’s quick . . . his off-the-mark speed is outstanding . . .'
He certainly looks like he's a bit heavy, but not as fat as Groupie_

Wonder what the average height of an AFL footballer is these days than compared to say 10 years ago?

Seems a lot of players over 190cms would have been considered Key position players in days gone by but are so agile now they can play anywhere.

Only some of our really tall players (high 190's) considered KPP these days are any good, when they probably would have been ruckman 20 years ago.

I just don't see the young talent coming through like we have seen in the past, is the game morphing before our eyes? Does that make players like Oscar Allen and the King brothers even more precious?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder what the average height of an AFL footballer is these days than compared to say 10 years ago?

Seems a lot of players over 190cms would have been considered Key position players in days gone by but are so agile now they can play anywhere.

Only some of our really tall players (high 190's) considered KPP these days are any good, when they probably would have been ruckman 20 years ago.

I just don't see the young talent coming through like we have seen in the past, is the game morphing before our eyes? Does that make players like Oscar Allen and the King brothers even more precious?
Going a long time back but Jack Dyer played in the ruck and was only Cotchin's height 184cm

Just can't agree with moving Gibcus forward. Needs to be left down back where he can develop an understanding alongside the likes of Balta Young Vlastuin & Broad and possibly Brown/Banks who could be the replacements for Vlastuin & Broad down the track.
Plenty of time for that. At the moment Broad, Vlastuin, Grimes and Balta are going nowhere, add in Short, Rioli, maybe Baker and some pretty impressive half back types in the VFL, Tresize, Banks and Brown and maybe Smith and the backline is the least of our worries.

Next year, we have no quality talls in our forward line, besides Lynch who is pretty injury prone. Let's hope Miller keeps improving, Bradtke is an outside. chance. Ryan is tracking well but he is a deep forward. It is our achilles heel going forward. Gibcus would add a dimension that we do not have, a class athletic marking option with a great kick who can get up the ground.

Plenty of time for that. At the moment Broad, Vlastuin, Grimes and Balta are going nowhere, add in Short, Rioli, maybe Baker and some pretty impressive half back types in the VFL, Tresize, Banks and Brown and maybe Smith and the backline is the least of our worries.

Next year, we have no quality talls in our forward line, besides Lynch who is pretty injury prone. Let's hope Miller keeps improving, Bradtke is an outside. chance. Ryan is tracking well but he is a deep forward. It is our achilles heel going forward. Gibcus would add a dimension that we do not have, a class athletic marking option with a great kick who can get up the ground.
Agree to disagree on Gibcus. I don't want to do what we did with Griffiths where we moved him back, then forward then back, then forward again and never really allowed him to settle.

Whatever they decide with Gibcus, it needs to be concrete and allows him to develop in the one area.

Agree to disagree on Gibcus. I don't want to do what we did with Griffiths where we moved him back, then forward then back, then forward again and never really allowed him to settle.

Whatever they decide with Gibcus, it needs to be concrete and allows him to develop in the one area.

I reckon we just make Balta and Gibcus our permanent rocks in defence, our Rance & Grimes.

The club seems to think Young could be the Astbury role, whether he is able to do it we can leave that discussion for another day.

Disagree on Bradtke. I'd give him at least one more season as a rookie, which costs us bugger all in the big scheme of things.

I think 2023 has been a bit of a hit and miss year in terms of trying to develop players the way we wanted to develop them. Hopefully with a bit better run injury wise we can start to do it next year.

I reckon we just make Balta and Gibcus our permanent rocks in defence, our Rance & Grimes.

The club seems to think Young could be the Astbury role, whether he is able to do it we can leave that discussion for another day.
That's what I want as well, but people seem to want him forward. Just need to make a decision on where he'll play and leave him there.

I think Young is going to be a player. For someone who has been playing footy for 4 years only, to come in a do what he has done is remarkable,
He is a spoling machine, no 1 in the league after his first 6 games. He has a very good kick, has adjusted to the tempo amazingly. Makes a few mistakes but so did Rance. He will learn to mark the ball in time, knows how to use his body and reads it very well in the air and is pretty quick.

Astbury, Tarrant, good comparisons. Balta and Young could easily be our bookends. Gibcus could go back in a few years time if we need him, he is far more talented than Griffiths and would adjust no problem. If it doesn't pan out no big deal, he's going to be a star where ever he plays I think.

I find it interesting that the club always prioritises our backline 'team' over every other part of the ground. We set up the backline and use that as a foundation to build from. With that in mind, I can't see us switching Gibcus or Balta to the forwardline. Moving forward our backline could look something like this -

FB: Brown (Vlaustin) Balta (Rance) Young (Astbury)
HB: Short (Houli) Gibcus (Grimes) Rioli (Broad)

Would all depend on if Brown and Gibcus realise their potential but I have high expectations that this will become a very solid and dreaded backline for a long time to come.

It does still leave us light on with quality depth in the forwardline though. In 3 years, will Lynch be there? Jack certainly won't. Will we be happy with Ryan and Miller as our twin towers? At the moment, it's a huge step down from Jack and Lynch. Looking at it that way, I think trading in a tall forward and/or drafting one has never been more critical.

Backs are sorted between Balta and Gibcus, we have 2 A graders you can see developing into a 1-2 punch à la Rance + Grimes. With Gibcus in I could buy Young becoming the lockdown defender who nullifies the oppos best tall like Astbury. Young’s not there yet but he is raw and fairly quick/agile for his size. As he gets experienced his decision making and confidence will get better so there are fewer Luke McGuane moments.

Forwards are a different story. We need at least 1 of Ryan and Miller to turn into an A grader. Else we definitely need to recruit one as we did with Lynch. I can see both being good options going forward and in the team mix. Miller is agile and has smarts, not reliable enough yet but could take Jack’s role. Ryan needs to learn from Lynch. For his size, Lynch actually puts on decent pressure and splits the packs with his aggression. Ryan still doesn’t have the stamina to impact over a full game which shows in how he drops off.

Don’t think Nyuon, Bauer or Bradtke are long term options but we do need competition for spots and depth for injury.

Ultimately we are missing a young forward with legit star power. One option could be to monitor the Dogs as they have a few young talls that were high picks like Darcy, Ugle Haran on top of Lobb, Naughton and Bruce… if we could shake one of those youngsters loose could be interesting

People talking about Rookies like Biggy & Bradtke being delisted need to remember they are Rookie's for a reason and if delisted they will be replaced by
other Rookie's and there is no guarantee's they will be any better than what we have
Bradtke yes , BIGGY no. You keep these guys on a list if there’s linear improvement. BIGGY has plateaued and reached his ceiling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back