What 3 changes/improvements to the game plan/style do we want Adem to implement

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 17, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Although there are many for me the top three I want are

1. Stop allowing unmarked opposition players streaming at top pace past a player after a mark or free and receiving a handball. My health doesnt allow me to attend so I dont know if this is caused by our lack of fitness/chasing or a structual setup which leaves unmarked opposition players behind the ball. Plus its opposite our lack of apart from D rioli the above. We handball over the man on the mark to a stationary player facing away from our forward line.

2. Disposal by hand and foot. enough said. i think everyone knows what I mean without examples

3. Separation and movement in the forward line especially towards the ball carrier instead of our predictable high kick to a pocket/boundary line. And because I cant stop at 3 , the predictable short 20 to 30 metre kick in after a behind, and improved tackling.

Just hope he brings back that sense of fun that we had in our peak years, really freed up the players to use their flair and maximise their strengths. Last few seasons everyone seemed confused and/or stressed out on field. Think he's all about this from the pressers.

Also love that he's a hands on coach and wants to work with players individually instead of the 'im pissing off to america, she'll be right, catch you round 1' style of recent times.

Play kids
Improve skills & decision making
Stick tackles & stop the ball movement, drop players who don't tackle, miss tackles.
Block & shepherd
Spread and don't all be drawn to the ball carrier and commit too many players to the contest
Don't just let the likes of Neale, Daicos, Libba, Oliver etc bring their own footys and employ a ******* tagger when the need arises
Stop getting killed in the air
Tighten the zones up - been far too generous. Stop just letting opposition waltz the ball out.
Go 1-on-1 when situation dictates
Take the game on but also slow it down and kill the ball when the other sides is getting a run on and play percentages, don't play hot potato when outnumbered.
Lower the eyes
Ensure all sides hate playing against us and win lose or draw make sure they're at least sore & sorry afterwards

Be hard to score against. One of my all time favourite highlights was us keeping Brisbane to a tiny score at the mcg one year. Highlighted by grimes’ determination to prevent a score in one play. I want to see that level of desire and competitiveness from us again.

Fluid ball movement. Running in waves. Good presence around the ball. Shows we are working hard enough.

A functional forward line that’s dangerous and has multiple threats not just lynch. Would love cumbo to become our Stevie j type player.

We need to come up with a better way to get the ball out of our backline. Kicking to the pocket and to the same side of the field over and over is too preditcable.
I also feel we need to lower the eyes a bit more when going forward instead of just bombing it long to our key forwards and hoping it goes to ground. Sure use this method sometimes to create confusion but not all the time.
3rd we need a system to win centre clearances more and get first use of the ball.

Develop a "one wood" that is the defined Richmond style and wins us games. I don't care if it's slingshot, forward-half turnover or park the bus defence. Just be great at it.

Get younger. Once the game style is chosen, pick young players who can execute it. Let them learn it in 2024 and perfect it in 2025.

Get ruthless. Shift out the older players who don't fit the game-style or can be exchanged for a cheaper "money ball" player who can deliver the same value at lower cost. Aim to fill in the missing pieces with salary cap room in 2025 and 2026.

Develop a "one wood" that is the defined Richmond style and wins us games. I don't care if it's slingshot, forward-half turnover or park the bus defence. Just be great at it.

Get younger. Once the game style is chosen, pick young players who can execute it. Let them learn it in 2024 and perfect it in 2025.

Get ruthless. Shift out the older players who don't fit the game-style or can be exchanged for a cheaper "money ball" player who can deliver the same value at lower cost. Aim to fill in the missing pieces with salary cap room in 2025 and 2026.
Agree but also adjust when the game plan is being picked apart -as it will on occasions because no game plan is 100% foolproof - too often felt that Dimma was content to just sit back and let the side live or die by the game plan.

We need to be hard to score against again, we leak goals far too easily and are such an easy team to score against.

Develope a game style that suits the modern game that makes us a hard team to play against. I want to see high pressure back as we know that wins in September.

We have weapons, let’s unleash them. Love to see Bolton, dusty and Cumberland terrorise opposition backlines. Also let’s be a team that wins contested possessions as we have the players to execute that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prioritise clearance including ruckwork particularly centre bounce.
Be consistent with however we are going to man the mark.
Mix up our kick ins we are way too predictable it's either very short to a pocket or to the same wing.
No long high bombs into the forward line.
Play players in their natural positions, eg Pickett on the wing (presuming he gets a game).
All else being equal choose youth.
Develop some taggers.
I'm not sure we have a skilled enough list to pinpoint our way through oppo defence so I still think we need some sort of chaos ball, play on strategy overall.
New captain (singular) required.
I can't count, let me know if that's more than three.

1. We need to be tougher in the contest especially tackling so many broken tackles of oppo players waltzing around our players.
compare that to 2017-2020 we were much more ruthless team we have dropped off a lot in that area not only in the middle of the ground but forward 50 what we were known for.

2. Improvement of teams kicking skills development/picking players from trades/drafts that kick the ball better going forward.

3. Get back to playing fun footy. I still think we give away too many silly undiscplined free kicks like the Shai Bolton in the last round where pointed to the scoreboard to the umpire.

I think if we start fixing those issues it will go a long way to us winning more games do the basics well.
We can probably expect that from Adem Yze given what he has said in the interviews.

In saying that it's big year for Luke Meehan which Yze would have no control over.
We can't have another poor pre-season. you will know we have had a good pre-season if our players don't look sluggish in the pre-season games.

1. Better structure.

When we were winning flags a strength of ours was forcing opponents when they won the ball to rush their kicks to create turnovers that we could quickly turn into a counter attack that used quick chaotic ball movement to catch opposition defenses out of position. What I noticed a lot this year is that the opposition were now doing that to us and making our clearances less effective as we were often hacking it forward and hoping for the best. Meanwhile opposition teams were often winning clean ball at the source and were then putting our back line under pressure with clean entries. They did this by winning the ball in tight then rather than banging it on the boot would get it out into the hands of their better ball users. IMO we have the inside midfielders who can win clearances, while also being defensively accountable, but what we lacked was the outside class. Our wingers while they were capable of running all day were poor users of the footy for the most part as their go to disposal was often long high bombs to stationary targets and they lacked that breakaway speed to get them out of traffic. With some positional changes we make it so that we've got both speed and class on the outside, which will make things a lot easier for Lynch up forward.

2. Defensively Strong
As Yze mentioned in his press conference we need to become much better defensively and IMO it's not just the back 6 that he is talking about, but across the field. IMO the reason Taranto stood out so much this year wasn't just for his ability to average 28 disposals & 6 clearances a week, but it was also for his ability to average 6.7 tackles & 27.5 pressure acts a week as well. He was a standout leader in those areas as far as our midfield goes, but he needs more help if we're going to be able to make point 1 above work. But it's not just in the middle that we need to improve, up forward none of our medium/small forwards averaged more than 20 pressure acts and when you look back to the premierships the pressure from our small/medium forwards created major issues for opposition defenders when trying to rebound out of our F50, this year the ball invariably rebounded with ease. For me everyone needs to be putting on pressure whether your Coulthard & Maurice or Dusty & Bolton, we need everyone playing their part so that our back line isn't being caught out with quick counter attacks when they are trying to structure up to lock the ball in.

3. Commitment
Whatever direction Yze and co eventually settle on in regards to structure, game style and team make up, full youth, mixture of young & old or stick with the old heads, I want to see everyone committed to the cause. If that means senior players are playing VFL while kids get their chance then so be it. Many fans have stated that nobody is bigger than the club and that should always be the way it is. If your form isn't good enough then you play VFL, Hinkley did it this year when he dropped Jonas who was captain to the SANFL despite being fit because his form wasn't where it needed to be and to his credit Jonas accepted it for the betterment of the team. If the same happens with us this year then I'd expect the players to cop it on the chin and make sure that they give the same level of effort to playing in the VFL as they would playing in the senior side.

I always said to my mates that when Richmond over complicates things we look lost. We won those flags doing the basics right playing good simple footy. committed , pressure , 22 contributing on game day. We had a identity now we look all over the shop.

Skills, kicking , transition , defensive side need to be all worked on.

3 things which we were horrendous at this year should be a focus this preseason

- stoppage work, specifically the midfielders work at centre bounces and other stoppages. rucks can always improve but it's not them that are our major problem in this area imo, it's the structure and movement of the midfielders. even if the ruck taps it down their throat we still somehow loose the clearance half of those times anyway. if the oppo wins it they stream forward with absolutely no one doing a thing to stop em. this is a massive structure/tactics issue of some sort

- defending opposition kick-ins. no idea about stats but we looked the easiest team by far for the oppo to kick-in and get past half way. even spud teams like norf could do it against us like it was nothing, not even doing it tough one bit

- our kick-ins - while oppos do it easy, we struggle like hell to get past half way off a kick-in. we need a full revamp. we just do the same thing 90% of the time and oppo knows it's coming and can easily defend against it

from there most of the rest of our game will come good

other things:
  • tackling practice
  • goal kicking practice
  • kicking and handballing to your teammate on the full
  • new fitness department
  • tim lunch

Must Move Balta out of Defence.Sick and tired of his mental fades which costs us not only a goal but Momentum.
Oppo kicking out.They have no trouble getting too the middle.Need to manup.Make it hard as possible.
Be abit more selfish around goal.How many times we've left goals on the table because of being less selfish.

Intentionally break the 6 6 6 rule and have 5 extra defenders leaving Lunch 1v6 in the forward line
Loose the centre clearence
Rebound off D50 in a wave of HELL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back