What 3 changes/improvements to the game plan/style do we want Adem to implement

Remove this Banner Ad

biaseddustyfan mentioned this but our stoppages are a big area of concern.
We were getting destroyed by fast, agile and dynamic midfields.
This is why I think Bolton should be at the very least an 80% mid, 20% forward.

Im not exactly sure what it was but we always seemed to be second to the fall of the ball. Whether it was positioning or our inability to read the taps, I dont know but if we improve our stoppage work it goes a long way to helping other facets of our game as well.

1) Increase pressure back to where it was. High pressure and we look good.

2) Forward line functioning. Lunch back should help. But we really need to work out how to make advantage of our many entries.

3) Use our powerful midfield better. 2023 was a miss-match of game plan and player talent. Get our mids working together in a positive way and we will win a lot mroe games.

1. Better users of the football win matches. Our field kicking would be one of the worst in the league. Look what that young Coleman does when he gets it, he hits someone every time. Probably need to see how Brown goes very early on because he is a very good kick.

2. Play tall half forwards who can lead up and mark the ball or contest the ball along the wing.... someone for Brown to kick to.
Gibcus, Kosi from Hawthorn if we get him. We are very static sometimes coming out of defence and just kick it long to the wing/boundary. We tried Miller in this role, but he just isn't good enough in the air, but we looked better when he was there.

3. Use the fat side of the ground more especially from kickouts. We are always safe and never go to a one on one, always short to the pocket or down the line for a throw in. Probably translates to have a more attacking mindset and back your player in.

Not in any order

Ball skills - we don't damage enough or take advantage of our damaging players and have a lot of so-so kicks, and we do too many long bombs to the opposition instead of playing our way through when needed

Pressure/numbers to the ball - miles off what it used to be where the opposition would look up and we had 5 people in their face at the contest

Hardness at the contest / maximum effort - I could let a lot of losses go if I felt we were a hard ass team at the footy and gave 100% every game but I don't believe we do and I think we've gotten sloppy and lazy in a lot of areas

biaseddustyfan mentioned this but our stoppages are a big area of concern.
We were getting destroyed by fast, agile and dynamic midfields.
This is why I think Bolton should be at the very least an 80% mid, 20% forward.

Im not exactly sure what it was but we always seemed to be second to the fall of the ball. Whether it was positioning or our inability to read the taps, I dont know but if we improve our stoppage work it goes a long way to helping other facets of our game as well.

Bolton isn't a clearance player at a stoppage he needs to be fed the ball from the inside Mids and he is much better as an outside mid/forward.

1. Discipline - too many head high tackles, brain fade 50m penalties, players smoking/vaping/drinking 1 week out from season starting proper.

2. Play with more freedom

3. play in front! forward and back and on the outside
please this

it has become hard to watch the footy with how much we get smacked by the umps

Must Move Balta out of Defence.Sick and tired of his mental fades which costs us not only a goal but Momentum.
Oppo kicking out.They have no trouble getting too the middle.Need to manup.Make it hard as possible.
Be abit more selfish around goal.How many times we've left goals on the table because of being less selfish.

But then you need to move Balta on. His brainfades will still cost momentum in the forwardline. That play against North round 23 caused a 4 goal momentum swing.

Have a defined style of play that utilises the collective talents of the players and stick to it.

Hit a target by hand or foot.

Defend like there is no tomorrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need a balance we certainly need improve our defensiveness with our small forwards, they were shocking this year.
How much defensive pressure does Charlie Cameron, Bailey, McCarthy, Raynor, Ah Chee provide. Nothing out of the ordinary. How much offensive pressure do they apply, plenty. This purely defensive pressure thing has held us back in my opinion.

How much defensive pressure does Charlie Cameron, Bailey, McCarthy, Raynor, Ah Chee provide. Nothing out of the ordinary. How much offensive pressure do they apply, plenty. This purely defensive pressure thing has held us back in my opinion.
I agree. I think Dimma went to defensive in the forward line. You still need to kick goals. Our 2017 team applied defensive pressure but Castagna, Butler and Rioli were also attacking players back then.

I agree. I think Dimma went to defensive in the forward line. You still need to kick goals. Our 2017 team applied defensive pressure but Castagna, Butler and Rioli were also attacking players back then.
Agree, good players who all went south due to the role they were made to play.Higgins was smart enough to leave. Even Aarts got a gig for that reason (actually could play a bit, but not fast enough).

MRJ and Cumberland were going the same way if not for the change of coach. Time will tell on that one.

But then you need to move Balta on. His brainfades will still cost momentum in the forwardline. That play against North round 23 caused a 4 goal momentum swing.
In the fwd line you still have a chance to recover.Backline no chance.

Pace through the midfield via moving Dan Rioli to a wing and Balta to the other providing pace and deep forward entries.
Midfield defence improved.
Clearance improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

More pressure around the ball.
Better transition to the forward line.
Pressure to keep the ball in the forward 50.

Adem mentioned defense is the area he is focussed on which is what we need.
I hope he focuses more on skill and less on tik tok

1. Better users of the football win matches. Our field kicking would be one of the worst in the league. Look what that young Coleman does when he gets it, he hits someone every time. Probably need to see how Brown goes very early on because he is a very good kick.

2. Play tall half forwards who can lead up and mark the ball or contest the ball along the wing.... someone for Brown to kick to.
Gibcus, Kosi from Hawthorn if we get him. We are very static sometimes coming out of defence and just kick it long to the wing/boundary. We tried Miller in this role, but he just isn't good enough in the air, but we looked better when he was there.

3. Use the fat side of the ground more especially from kickouts. We are always safe and never go to a one on one, always short to the pocket or down the line for a throw in. Probably translates to have a more attacking mindset and back your player in.

Our handballs going low or to ground in the execution does my head in.

There has to be an unwritten contract that Disposer and Receiver commit to the other -
  • You want the Receiver to look good so you Dispose so he can.
  • The Receiver must honour the Disposer's work.
These fractions of a second all add up to becoming a contested ball when it might otherwise have been part of successful chain of possession. It's probably our biggest scope for improvement.

Agree - fat side is a weapon if it can be exploited. We have Balta and we need others who can exploit that side of ground. It breaks zones and exhausts oppositions!

Rate ball security higher - the 2023 team seemed to value running in waves, which has its place, higher than ball security. What do I mean? If running off half back (anywhere really) but half back was the major problem, the team felt compelled to handball to player adjacent, whether under no pressure or more to my point, under pressure. Silly, player in possession should set the play up rather than introduce risk. Exception to this seemed to be d rioli, who used to take game on himself. Handball forward to player in space is fine, but hand ball sideways to player under pressure or backwards to player under pressure is over coaching and plain silly. Happened multiple times per game - I feel in an effort to “run in waves”.

Limit handball “over congestion” - my daughter’s u16 coach gave an instructional drill to the group to handball in a clear path rather than try the more risky idea to handball over an opposition player. This stuck with me, not ‘cause my daughters coach, but more the amount of times this basic tactic failed our team this year. The idea, “this is basic, u16 stuff!”, got so tiring.

Anyway, 2 basic things. I hope the rest works out…

Go Tigers!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

1. Ball Movement away from Stoppages
Building the connection and flow between winning the ball at the coalface and feeding it out to our outside runners/ball users. Defending the opposition outside mids to force turnovers and break away from the contest. We used to be the best in the competition at this but now we need to figure out what to do when Hooper/Taranto wins the ball themselves and get it in the hands of our mids in space. We need Taranto and Hooper to learn to feed the ball out rather than just slap it on the boot which turns it over.

2. Long down the line springboard
This works hand in hand with the above wish. We need to be able to kick the ball long down the line to our tall forwards/ruckmen and sweep away with the ball. Starts with the reading the drop pf the ball then feeding it out to the outside runners. We have moved away from using the ball by hand and with leg speed. If we bring this back, we will once again become nigh impossible to defend and give our forwards more one-on-one opportunities which will increase our scoring considerably.

3. Shut down their rebound
We need to lock the ball into our F50 and place enough pressure on the opposition defenders that they rush their kicks and turn it over. We need more smaller, dangerous forwards to create confusion and chaos. We need more leg speed breaking through the corridor and racing back into space. We need Lambert, Edwards, Butler, Castagna and Rioli replacements - Edwards to feed it out and the rest to link up to run it away from the contest. We have some of the missing pieces that just need polishing but others we need to still find.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back