Rank our players from best to worst kick

Remove this Banner Ad

The discussion going on about how damaging Rocky's disposal is has had me thinking about how we might go ranking our list from best to worst in regards to their kicking.

I tried to do it on my own, but ended up getting pretty stumped so I figured we might try a live list where I try to do it based on your input.

Instead of starting of with a ranking I decided to just list all of our players with a short blurb in regards to my opinions on their kicking. My opinions are not set in stone and thought it would be an interesting exercise to open it up to debate for the purpose of the rankings which I will try to update regularly based on the feedback I get in this thread.

1. McGuane Can be effective, but generally unreliable. Technique is erratic

2. Harwood Stabs at the ball too much, can be very effective off a step. Has improved long kicking when he uses proper technique and can be a very good decision maker, but his stabbing technique is prone to massive clangers. High effective disposal % otherwise makes his mistakes stand out like dogs balls.

3. Moloney (Retired) Long bomb but average skills otherwise.

4. Aish Very good kick, but lacks the range and penetration to ever truly be considered elite. Too early to make a definitive call though. Obvious class.

5. Crisp Long and penetrating kick, but accuracy is a problem. Plenty of scope for improvement

6. Green Above average set shot and on the run, lacks penetration in field kicking and is a bit loopy but generally hits the target and kicks to advantage

7. Adcock Neat and tidy at short and medium range, but floats the ball aimlessly at long range especially entering f50.

8. Bewick Very one sided, long kick with good penetration but can be lazy with his style which then deteriorates and results in errors.

9. McGrath (retired) Consistency only barrier to elite footskills

10. Rich Left boot is elite, fairly one sided. Good vision, but could sometimes afford to take safer options.

11. Hanley Very good off both sides, good vision and as good a kick as you could expect to see for a late convert. Occasional complete technical failure can lower effectiveness

12. Martin Kicks as well as can be expected for a late convert ruckman. Has improved ability to play inside limitations and potentially still developing

13. West Does not get enough of the ball around the ground to say whether he is a good field kick or not (potentially he is) Seems to have very good technique for his height and set shots could be good.

14. Staker Reliable field kick, set shot has improved

15. Zorko Can be neat and tidy, penetrating and butcher the ball all in the same game. Kicking seems to have regressed this year so very hard to give a grading.

16. Brown (retired) Elite field kicking for type, Deadeye dick from 35+ out, incosistent at short range

17. Beams has the full repertoire and can do it on both sides, lacks consistency at senior level through disruption of continuity

18. Robertson Technically very good imo, prone to falling apart due to game style and lack of conservation of energy. Long and penetrating kick could be a weapon with added composure and awareness.

19. Lisle Very good field kick when not under pressure and same with set shot, gets flustered easily and technique falls apart

21. Merrett Has a development sine wave rather than a development curve. Extremely frustrating especially after it looked like he had gotten to a point of safe consistency two years ago.

22. Paparone awkward style that appears to be effective, good field kick for height

23. Leuenberger Very good field kick for his height, poor set shot.

24. Patfull Good kick, generally safe but sometimes decides to take inexplicable risks when pushed up the ground.

25. McStay Technically good with distance and penetration has potential to develop into an offensive weapon at both ends of the ground. Very pleased with his set shot.

26. Cutler Potentially elite

27. Gardiner Surprisingly good kick for a tall defender not renowned for his skills, expect that he won’t be a liability with ball in hands in the future and could potentially develop into a rebounding tall.

28. Taylor Lacks penetration at times, but potentially a very good kick once decision making matures

29. Raines Seems technically fine, but kick is erratic probably due to a lack of composure, awareness and game sense.

30. Redden Too much variation between his best and worst kicks, but imo unprecedented ability to continue to develop his weaknesses. Left foot has come ahead in leaps and bounds this year.

31. Polkinghorne Technically very good kick, consistency an issue and decision making a letdown.

32. Mayes Potentially elite, although long kicks could be more penetrating… definitely not floaters just don’t travel through the air as quickly as other top level kicks.

33. Close Set shot very good when routine is followed, gets distracted from routine too easily, should improve as he matures

34. Freeman Technically good set shot, field kicking is an unknown and not enough evidence to say how he responds to pressure

35. Lester Technique has regressed since his draft year, possibly due to injury sustained early in career. Breaks down after physical effort.

36. Maguire Mammoth boot and good skills, sometimes gets bored and tries to much with his kicking for a defender

37. Wearden Good kick untested at AFL level so too hard to say. Suspect his kicking will be poor under body pressure in the seniors but that is just a theory.

38. Rockliff Effective and plays within limitations, is not a long kick but hits targets and kicks to advantage. Sometimes plays too safe.

39. Paine Technique is solid but falls apart under fatigue, and fitness is below average so technique is constantly under the pump.

40. Conway Probably only ever going to be an average kick at most but can improve awareness and decision making

41. Golby Technically good kick with dubious decision making - regressed this year and hard to give a proper judgement.

42. Clarke Inconsistent and he is still trying to find his own measure. Tracking well and probably won’t need to kick so much when we have better users in the backline around him.

43. Hayes I think he is quite good and consistent with good technique, but hard to tell how well he would go under AFL level pressure.

44. Smith Recent convert and a ruckman who is apparently coachable but doubt kicking will ever be a strength

45. Bourke Seems to be pretty skilled for a tall from what I have seen. No obvious flaws with his technique and seems to be a good decision maker.

46. Michael have doubts over hand eye coordination and technique is not drilled enough to be innate, have doubts over his ability to improve.

47. O’Brien Good technique and neat skills which appear to break down under physical and perceived pressure - should come good once extra mass added to body.

Saved for Live list:

I think the general consensus would be that the best kick on the list is:

#1 10. Daniel Rich
#2 11. Pearce Hanley
#3 17. Claye Beams?

Last edited:

1. Rich
2. Hanley
3. Beams
4. Rockliff
5. Mayes

Top 5 for mine, Mayes the one who could be replaced by others but off the top of my head to difficult.

Joshy Green needs more credit than he gets. When he gets the ball inside 50 with even a tiny bit of space I immediately take confidence from the fact it's very likely to sail through the big sticks.

Field kicking skills are obviously incredibly important, but goals are paramount in this game.

Green is our most reliable kick for goal by a long long way and that's regardless of whether its a set shot or on the run. If Rocky was playing forward he would be up there also.

Kicking in general play our no.1 would be Rich for reliability and vision. Hanley is creative in the options he provides and has great vision but I think his tendency to spray a few kicks (which isn't much of a criticism because of the role he plays) relegates him to second position (only marginally behind Rich).

I think for our list at present given how young we are a lot of the perceived kicking ineffectiveness is an experience issue (as it relates to vision and awareness). Clarke is one that I think has come leaps and bounds this season.

It was a pain that Redden has had to miss games this year due to injury. His kicking efficiency was on the improve.

Joshy Green needs more credit than he gets. When he gets the ball inside 50 with even a tiny bit of space I immediately take confidence from the fact it's very likely to sail through the big sticks.

Field kicking skills are obviously incredibly important, but goals are paramount in this game.

Second in the league in Champion Data's goal "kick rating" which is based on expected accuracy for goal (based on pressure and position) and actual accuracy. +13.6% with an expected accuracy of 49.4% and actual of 63%.

Hanley has been popping up as a clear number two. I would have said so myself except the Rockliff thread made me think twice in regards to how effective Rocky's kicking is.

Is Beams a fair number 3 then as well?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 20 not including retirees

1. Rich
2. Beams
3. Hanley
4. Mayes
5. Green
6. Rockliff
7. Taylor
8. Adcock
9. Cutler
10. Aish
11. Zorko
13. Bewick
14. Crisp
15. Harwood
16. Mcstay
17. Redden
18. Staker
19. Patfull
20. Polkinghorne

Am I the only one who think Richndoesnt really have a reliable kick? His bullet passes are one of the best in the league if not the best but aside from that (which he rarely uses), I think he is generally okay without being great. I remember countless times last season Rich would totally shank it or kick it too wide or over the head.

Good thread Caiphus

I'm going to cheat and have a top 5 in three categories - reliability/neatness, damage and goal kicking. I've left out the retirees but I'd probably have both Brown and McGrath as top 3 or 4 in the club.

Reliability/neatness

1. Rockliff
2. Aish
3. Rich
4. Staker
5. Green

Damage

1. Rich
2. Hanley
3. Beams
4. Bewick
5. Mayes

Goal Kicking

1. Staker
2. Mayes
3. Green
4. Beams
5. Hanley

Am I the only one who think Richndoesnt really have a reliable kick? His bullet passes are one of the best in the league if not the best but aside from that (which he rarely uses), I think he is generally okay without being great. I remember countless times last season Rich would totally shank it or kick it too wide or over the head.

I think this had been a problem but he was greatly improved in 2013.

We missed that kind forward entry a lot this year, I know you said his bullet passes are the best in the league.

But most of his passes are bullet passes and that's what makes him our best kicker.

Rocky would top the handball list by a mile. By far our most damaging and creative handballer

I dont say this lightly, Rich is the best kick I have ever seen...
we have been blessed with some beautiful kicks in recent years, Black, Drummond, C. Johnson, Aker etc but for accuracy, technique and power Rich is number 1 easily.
Honourable mentions, Hanley and Mayes..

For flat damaging passes Rich is the clear leader. As close to Drummonds lasers as we're likely to see at the lions. Pearce and Rockliff both have very good weighting on their passes over short and mid distances and Pearce reasonable over longer distances. Pearce's sprays tend to be on the end of some of his really long runs when he goes for a bit too much length, if he sticks to the medium distances he's very good after his runs. I cannot help but be impressed by Rockliff's baseline however. Whether he's having his first possession for the game or deep in the 4th when he's had 5 involvements within a minute his kicking remains remarkably consistent and probably the least effected by fatigue as far as weighting goes. I will concede its helped by the fact he's a medium length kicker most of the time rather than the long one.

Aesthetically you can't go pass those bullets Rich does, but you just know that when Rockliff gets it with even a little space he's going to find a man more often than not. I'm very much in the same basket as POBT in that I would have different leaders in different categories as saying one person is the lone best kick is a little difficult given all the factors that make up a successful kick (including decision making). I think the encouraging thing is that we are getting better as a team with a larger percentage of good to very good kicks making up our list these days when compared to 4-5 years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back