Opinion Which 3 players from the 3-peat era would you put into our current team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Craig Bolton, Jason Gram and Des Headland.

The game changed with more use of flooding back in defence and maintaining possession while no longer focused on one on ones and we never really adapted.
I also remember us not blooding many kids during that period, and every year we said goodbye to several key players who were ageing out of the game. The end came very quick for some as well, where one day they were all good, and the next day they looked ancient.

Going to mix it up

Tim Notting - streaming down the wing and taking shots from outside 50, or putting it on Daniher/Cameron/Hipwood's chest.

Crackers Keating - Mr September, punching the ball forward over 50m from a centre square bounce.

Martin Pike - the team needs a bit of mongrel/tough nut. We have it with Mitch Robbo, but Pikey is the man (trust me, I've been in one of his headlocks)

Leppa/Mal Michael also in consideration and unlucky to miss out

And if you were to go the other way, present team into 2001-03 GF team

Lachie Neale - you can never have enough Brownlow medals in a team

Brandon Starcevich - great lockdown defender and can also roll through the middle

Hugh McCluggage - why not, from Fab 4 to Fantastic 7 (Voss, Black, Akker, Lappin, Power, Neale and McCluggage)

Going to mix it up

Tim Notting - streaming down the wing and taking shots from outside 50, or putting it on Daniher/Cameron/Hipwood's chest.

Crackers Keating - Mr September, punching the ball forward over 50m from a centre square bounce.

Martin Pike - the team needs a bit of mongrel/tough nut. We have it with Mitch Robbo, but Pikey is the man (trust me, I've been in one of his headlocks)

Brandon Starcevich - great lockdown defender and can also roll through the middle

Hugh McCluggage - why not, from Fab 4 to Fantastic 7 (Voss, Black, Akker, Lappin, Power, Neale and McCluggage)
Of current players to slot into our premiership era, as you said, Lachie as a true rover - which my Dad always harps on about "rovers" and "ruck rovers" which he says mids should still be referred - Charlie would dominate with the likes of Lynch, Braddy, Brown, Aka, McCrae in the fwd line and the third is Harris - Harris as a third tall with Mal and Leppa would be insane or even Hughie on the opposite wing to Nigel.

Going to mix it up

Notting is an interesting one, I was a kid but from memory he tended to stay on the bench the entire first half and then was the ultimate impact sub who could out-run the opposition. If he could get up to 2022 fitness levels he'd be the absolute perfect AFL wingman these days.

interesting on 360 the other night Chris Scott said looks at players in the cats team and thanks god he never have to play on them. Says the games better then the threepeat standard wise now

I still go Voss, Leppa and Lynch.

interesting on 360 the other night Chris Scott said looks at players in the cats team and thanks god he never have to play on them. Says the games better then the threepeat standard wise now

I still go Voss, Leppa and Lynch.

It's a pretty straightforward reality - the standard of training, of fitness, the coaching strategies (particularly defensively) are a massive leap forward compared to where the game was 20 years ago.

Now, obviously, you take a young Michael Voss and get him into the sorts of high performance programmes that exist now - from u12s or whatever onwards - look out.

This is an interesting one as it's not so much about your favourite 3 but the ones you think would fit into the side.

1. Voss - Our weakness is the big bodied mid and this bloke is the best to have ever played the game in that way. Throw him the captaincy and just hand us the next 3 flags. Neale would have a field day with this bloke in the middle with him.

2. Lynch - He would need to adapt to how a forward plays these days but he would easily be the #1 out of current forward group (I'm thinking the mobile lynch in the Fitzroy days).

3. Chris Johnson - Give me another hard rebounding defender please. Starc / Rich / Coleman / Johnson would mean all 4 of our medium / small backs were capable of setting up attacking plays.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back