Opinion Which 3 players from the 3-peat era would you put into our current team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 28, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If you had a magical time machine, and could bring back three members of the three-peat Lions' teams, which players would you put into our modern side?

Would you pick three players from the same position, or have one forward/mid/backmen?
What type of player does our modern side need?
What three-peat players would thrive in the modern style of game?

Personally, I would pick:
1) Michael Voss - we need a gut running, inspiring, powerful inside-mid.
2) Chris Johnson - we could use a shut down medium defender that could rebound off half-back.
3) Shaun Hart - we need a quick utility that can provide some defensive integrity.

I thought about Simon Black but felt McCluggage and Neale fit those foles already.
I did think about Akermanis, but felt that he would contribute to the lack of defensive running instead of fixing it.
We don't need another key forward, so that excludes Brown and Lynchy, as much as I love them.

Mine would be:

Mal Michael - full back big defender would be able to do the body work on some of the big forwards of opposition teams in upcoming games.

Michael Voss - how could you not. Vossy was insane. So much drive and effort, and gives the mid more of a hard edge

Johnathan Brown - not that we need much more firepower, can't go past browny. Proper blue collar forward and played insanely hard. Plus loved watching him out there kicking a bag full back in the day

Voss - mainly for the on field leadership and presence. Inspirational player who lifted his teammates. Not to mention a bloody good player.

Akermanis - game winning x factor type player. Can count on him to step up in the midfield or up forward when the game is there to be won. We lack this, Rayner is the closest one but is too inconsistent.

Lappin - we could do with an elite winger with exceptionall ball use. Also hard as nails and gave his absolute all.

John Brown - one of the best forwards of his generation. Would boost our forward line potency a lot.

That's 4, I couldn't narrow it down to 3.

Simon Black and Chris Johnson stiff but I feel we have similar types already in Neale and Coleman.

Voss - his leadership was his best attribute and he could play a bit too.

Aker - said previously but at his best (see that Geelong game in the rain) I still don’t think I’ve seen a better player.

Mal Michael - our defence needs a strong lockdown key back to take the Hawkins’ of the world.

Stiff on a lot of players tbh it was a bloody good team but they’d be the 3 I’d take if we could plant them in right now and give us a the best chance at a flag at this time.

Last edited:
When I saw Chris Johnson commentating our last final, I wanted him to put on a jersey! I recently re-watched some of our old games, and his class coming off half-back was nuts.

Shaun Hart was also criminally underrated, he won that Norm Smith for a reason in '01.

Keating was crazy, literally taken out of cryogenic freezing every September and tore it up.

Voss and Black are no brainers to my mind. Two of the best to ever play the game.

I like Leppa more that Mal, because of his versatility and rebound ability.

But Jonno Brown to just destroy the defence with his combination of running ability and contested marking would still be a game winner in this era.

Voss and Black are no brainers to my mind. Two of the best to ever play the game.

I like Leppa more that Mal, because of his versatility and rebound ability.

But Jonno Brown to just destroy the defence with his combination of running ability and contested marking would still be a game winner in this era.
I tend to remember Browny in his last few years when he was heavy, slow and injured. But I saw a highlights package from his younger years, and he was literally outrunning people and making defenders look silly with his footwork. Peak Jonathan Brown is about as good as they come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aaron Shattock, Richard Hadley and Michael Voss.

Voss, Leppitsch are easy for me. Voss to captain, Leppa as we lack an attacking, intercepting tall defender who can run and dash.

Last spot is tough. Jonno Brown absolutely better than any other of our forwards but I don't think we lack scoring power, so for me it comes down to Black, Acker, Lappin with an honourable mention for Power. I'll go with Acker given his speed is something we don't have in our current midfield mix.

Chrissie Johnson also worth a shout if there were some more spots available - reckon he'd be unreal with modern fitness regimes and his ability to rebound.

Only 3?

For me it would be Voss for obvious reasons, second would be Darryl White for his versatility and either Mal Michael or Chris Johnson depending on our opposition. Can't believe I haven't included Simon Black but it was /w him or Voss and Voss gets the nod for his ability to win games off his own boot.

It's a good question. Do you just bring in the 3 best players or do you think of needs vs Geelong? Maybe a mixture of both.
Voss is a no brainer. His leadership and his ability to lift the entire team with one act, on top of his playing abilities make him an instant in. A mid rotation comes out for Voss.
Leppa to go to Cameron, Gardiner comes out. Mal would be great against Hawkins but Leppa does offer a bit more versatility as said above me.
Aker would be my last call up. As others have said unbelievably skilful, great runner can play forward, mid or defence.

Brown, Black and Lappin are all really stiff to miss out. Brown wasn't in his prime yet during the 3-pete era but would be a significant upgrade on McStay. Love White as well and would be a big upgrade on a lot of our backs but probably can't find a place for him before the others.

I tend to remember Browny in his last few years when he was heavy, slow and injured. But I saw a highlights package from his younger years, and he was literally outrunning people and making defenders look silly with his footwork. Peak Jonathan Brown is about as good as they come.
Brown was such an athletic freak that Leigh would throw him into the middle from time to time for short spurts if needed before it became obvious that the injury risk was too high to make it worth it. Plenty of KPDs of his era commented that he'd just run up and down all day and blow them up on the lead over and over again.

Brown was such an athletic freak that Leigh would throw him into the middle from time to time for short spurts if needed before it became obvious that the injury risk was too high to make it worth it. Plenty of KPDs of his era commented that he'd just run up and down all day and blow them up on the lead over and over again.
I was genuinely surprised to find out he was one of our slowest players. He said only Blacky was slower than him in the sprints.

Slightly off topic but always intrigues me why we fell away so badly after 2004 considering some really good players like Black, Brown, Charman, Notting, Power, Adcock, Merrett, McGrath etc were only really just entering their prime from an age perspective.

Slightly off topic but always intrigues me why we fell away so badly after 2004 considering some really good players like Black, Brown, Charman, Notting, Power, Adcock, Merrett, McGrath etc were only really just entering their prime from an age perspective.
The game changed with more use of flooding back in defence and maintaining possession while no longer focused on one on ones and we never really adapted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back