Preview Round 3, 2024 - Brisbane Lions v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree we didnt really use him this way last year but Im still not convinced by Cam's kicking. I feel he looks for length (and height weirdly) more than accuracy. That could be just trying to get it under pressure into our forward line as a chaos option. But I dont really think I've seen him pick out the accurate kicks through danger in the middle you need out of the back line
Yeah perhaps you’re right mate, and I’m just spitballing. Originally I mentioned Bailey as an option, which I still think could work, but doubt they go that way either.

I just think that Kiddy position is so important to try and fill. One player should not make an AFL team (unlike basketball for example), but I feel with the way we play, he was close to number one on our list in terms of irreplaceable players.

I want us to try something at least. I know people keep talking about Zorko, but I’m a bit meh on that idea. We know what we’ll get with that, I wanna see try something different.

Not focused on anything other than tomorrow night right now.

Expecting a big lift from those a bit under the pump.

Get over this game and worry what we do after that. Doedee hasn't played a game yet and we have options as outlined in prior posts.

I'd be inclined to have Ah Chee in the backline against the Pies. Payne has to come in now.

I do like that side, though would definitely have Ah Chee still starting over Reville. Sub I would then have Prior (think he is the best option in flexibility of roles).

But if we lose again, then I think we need to start making some hard calls on a few more players. Guys like Sharp, Prior, Tunstill will need to be locked in for several weeks to see what they've got
Ah Chee is probably a certainty to get picked before Reville and Lloyd.
I just want to see a new face or 2 in a side that looks like it needs an injection of something.

I think with the rain Lyons is a safe selection as a sub.
Once again, he most likely starts in the 22 ahead of Tunstill anyhow.
The wet should suit Lyons, or more to the point slow a lot of other players down.

after watching the ressies, ins Fort, Brain, Payne, Morris, prior.

Out. Eric, Bailey, Starcevich, Oscar, Jerry.
It must have hurt, not dropping Joe as well? ;)

Any reason we didn’t send those struggling to get a kick back to the Magoo’s to get some touch? I mean, surely they didn’t need a break already.

fagan doesn’t have it in him to drop key playerswho are shitting it up. Hasn’t shown it in the past and I doubt he will change his tune now. We had players coming to him to be begged to be dropped ffs.

If we lose against the Pies and the usuals spud it up again I just don’t see how he will drop Charlie or Berry or Rayner etc. they’ve been s**t all year. Tbh outside of Andrews I don’t think anyone has played any decent games albeit it’s only two games but massive warning signs. .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, why waste the opportunity to have some fresh legs against a tired opponent especially when we struggle to close out games.
Seriously?
It would just be like any other season when you don’t get a bye after two games. If they can’t back up after a game in the twos then we are in more trouble than we thought. If you are really worried play them for half a game

Seriously?
It would just be like any other season when you don’t get a bye after two games. If they can’t back up after a game in the twos then we are in more trouble than we thought. If you are really worried play them for half a game
Without talking about logistics, freshness in legs , whatever else the main issue has been effort and putting in , not convinced they're actually out of touch.

Repeat ACL injury is different though, remembering he has ruptured his ACL twice before (2019/2023). Wouldn’t expect him back until round 18+ at a minimum.

Source - am Physio

Does the fact that the 19 and 23 ACL injuries happened in different knees make any difference?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Re windows.

Ours has not shut through age. YET.

But it does feel like this is our final peak year with this current crop - hard to see all of Neale, Daniher, Cameron, McCarthy and McInerney playing as well as they did in 2023 in 2025. All the wrong side 30 as of July.

So 2024 was always such a crucial year. Coleman out for the year. Doedee probably similar. Ashcroft coming off a knee. 0-2. It is 100% a must-win game this weekend or our spirit will be broken.

Glass half empty - we don’t contend this year, and our window for this group is gone. I would submit as well the many teams who get close but don’t crack it and usually drop off after 3-5 years - freo 2010s, saints late 2000s, port right now.

Glass half full, we re group and finish top 4. Ashcroft and Payne make up for no kiddy in finals. Group finals hardened and go all the way

Alternative glass half full - we drop to the lower rungs of top 8, grab a gun key forward or two, ashcrofts and fletcher start to peak, and we do a melbourne of 2021.

Our window could be 2-3 years, entirely depending on injury. Having the luxury of our academy and father sons means we can probably trade in to replace Joe and eventually Lachie.

Seriously?

Why not make it better than any other season with no bye after 2 games?

It's actually worse than previous years. Would be 3 games in 12 days plus a trip back from perth

I personally think we drop back a little bit this year. Might sneak in between 5-8 but that’s neither here nor there.

I don’t think we should waste the year though and I think if anything, it might give us a more realistic chance next year having to expose some guys who haven’t yet had a proper taste. This could help next year when we get a few guys back. Hopefully we use all our injury bad luck up this year.

After that is anyone’s guess though with Lachie, Charlie, Joe etc year to year after that you’d think.

My view is we can make a granny from anywhere in the 8. Don’t necessarily need top 4.
You generally can. Its all about fitness and taking your chances at the right time of year.

But generally if in the bottom half of the 8 you have been fighting to survive more and likely not in the cleanest bill of health. Compared to the top 2 or 3 teams who have secured their spot and can manage their players more. You also miss out on the double chance which can be vital.

But its all relative to how things are going coming into the back end. I think it was 2021? when we blew all our petrol tickets to finish 4th and then bombed out. We likely would have been better off taking it slightly easier in the last round and finished 5th. Would have given us an easy win in the first week of finals rather than taking on the flag favourite

Hindsight is great and all, but damn I wish we'd have been able to get Harry Arnold.
I still find incredulous that we basically selected Joyce over Arnold.

I mean Joyce is so far off the pace of AFL and just constantly gives away frees that he is an utter liability.

Some of our recruiting decisions are utterly bewildering.

You generally can. Its all about fitness and taking your chances at the right time of year.

But generally if in the bottom half of the 8 you have been fighting to survive more and likely not in the cleanest bill of health. Compared to the top 2 or 3 teams who have secured their spot and can manage their players more. You also miss out on the double chance which can be vital.

But its all relative to how things are going coming into the back end. I think it was 2021? when we blew all our petrol tickets to finish 4th and then bombed out. We likely would have been better off taking it slightly easier in the last round and finished 5th. Would have given us an easy win in the first week of finals rather than taking on the flag favourite

Agree but depends how tight things are. My inkling is not much will separate 1 to 6 this season. Perhaps even 7/8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back