Review Autopsy Thread - Dogs v GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I was in shock.

I don't honestly know anymore. I'm not commenting on the game at the moment because I'm going to be looking through rose-coloured glasses.

I'm not having a go at you, you're a pretty good poster, but to say Stringer was tanking by embarrassing himself and taking a ball to the face instead of marking and kicking a game winning goal is ridiculous.

PLAYER'S DON'T TANK!

They work their asses off all season to win games, they don't give a crape if we have pick 5 or pick 6 at the end of the year, especially in the middle of battle against a team they really want to beat, and to send off a much loved player. Some managements of teams in leagues throughout the world have been known to put their teams in positions to lessen their chances of winning to benefit the franchise. That is tanking. The Dogs didn't do this today, we ABSOLUTELY did not do this today and I can guarantee Jake Stringer didn't take a football in the face so we could get a higher pick in December.

I need to have a break for a few days I think and get away from here if we are going to debate if we tanked today. Again, not a shot at you Timtam, just in general.

Yeah jake made a huge error but the only reason why we were in the game is because he was one of not many to perform for most of the game. His numbers for marking inside 50 have also rapidly increased in the past month and he was certainly not to blame for a poor team effort.
Proof is that we need to get better and we need to improve quick, I don't think we can ever have enough midfield/ small forward talent and thats were we should be willing to offer our first pick for say a WHE and trade for other talls using just say our later picks in the draft.
I am hugely frustrated with our backline we shouldn't be getting opened up as we do and I think thats were we need to look first.

We underperformed this year, no denying it. The younger players mostly improved, but I'm not sure whether the coaching staff have their heads screwed on. With all the talk of needing a tall forward, Roberts hasn't been trialled there and Jones gets dropped after 2 quiet games. Geelong were patient with Hawkins, now he's repaying them. Same with Talia, how he's spent the year in the VFL has me :confused:

How much can be put down to Minson's poor year do you think?

Anyway, there's a plethora of talented young players on your list, and this is something we lack to some extent. Obviously the coach gets another year to get the list really competitive.

I'm not having a go at you, you're a pretty good poster, but to say Stringer was tanking by embarrassing himself and taking a ball to the face instead of marking and kicking a game winning goal is ridiculous.

PLAYER'S DON'T TANK!

They work their asses off all season to win games, they don't give a crape if we have pick 5 or pick 6 at the end of the year, especially in the middle of battle against a team they really want to beat, and to send off a much loved player. Some managements of teams in leagues throughout the world have been known to put their teams in positions to lessen their chances of winning to benefit the franchise. That is tanking. The Dogs didn't do this today, we ABSOLUTELY did not do this today and I can guarantee Jake Stringer didn't take a football in the face so we could get a higher pick in December.

I need to have a break for a few days I think and get away from here if we are going to debate if we tanked today. Again, not a shot at you Timtam, just in general.
Pretty good? I take offense to that. I am the GREATEST poster on this board. Alright, at least top 10 :p

You're absolutely right by the way. It was any number of fatigue from the game/whole season, fatigue from being a new father, nerves because he knew it was their last chance, or a combination of all of them. The skill errors that were worse than normal were probably the fact that it was the last game, and that the players didn't really have anything to play for so they didn't go at 110%. I said it was tanking because I KNOW that we're not that bad, and I was just angry, but to say we tanked is ridiculous. I'm not sure why we played so badly, but it wasn't because of the coach either. I think it was physical and mental fatigue.

Thanks for pulling me up on that.

Pretty good? I take offense to that. I am the GREATEST poster on this board. Alright, at least top 10 :p

You're absolutely right by the way. It was any number of fatigue from the game/whole season, fatigue from being a new father, nerves because he knew it was their last chance, or a combination of all of them. The skill errors that were worse than normal were probably the fact that it was the last game, and that the players didn't really have anything to play for so they didn't go at 110%. I said it was tanking because I KNOW that we're not that bad, and I was just angry, but to say we tanked is ridiculous. I'm not sure why we played so badly, but it wasn't because of the coach either. I think it was physical and mental fatigue.

Tim I love your posts mate. But when will it ever be the coaches fault?

I also love your loyalty but that game was lost at the selection table by our coach and maybe you need to accept that we are that bad under this coach

In all honesty we are somewhat of the way there. Our problems can be fixed and fixed quite quickly. First of all team needs to kick straighter for goal has cost us 2 games and even more importantly build a better defence. We could/should have won at least another 4 games in which our young players made errors or our defence played poorly. Go hard at the trade table this year.

As for Jake other young guns have made errors too, missed easy shots at goal etc. This will be the making of him!

Tim I love your posts mate. But when will it ever be the coaches fault?

I also love your loyalty but that game was lost at the selection table by our coach and maybe you need to accept that we are that bad under this coach
Dude we just lost to GWS. I could write a huge post about why it wasn't the coach's fault, but I just cannot be bothered. Please give it a rest for a couple of days because people are not in the mood, ok?

On a positive note, Jake was brilliant again. From where he was last year and at even the start of the year, showing signs but ending the games with 9-10 touches and 1 goal, to regularly kicking bags and looking extremely dangerous up forward, he has come a long way quickly. Looks an absolute player now and his confidence fending people off and sidestepping defenders is awesome.

Bontempelli will be the best kid to come out of the draft and is obviously just an incredible talent. Future Brownlow, Captain, Norm Smith etc you name it, he has unlimited potential and to be this good after one pre-season is great.

Rat was really good again, has a very bright future. Roberts showed signs and has great size, another pre-season and some more muscle / confidence gives me hopes he can be a 200 game player for us. JJ showed some good dash again, his pace and run is invaluable for this team. Macrae was quieter than normal but we all know he is a special talent. Etc etc, we have a good young list, I'm confident with some quality additions and another solid draft, we have a bright future. Disappointing day but will give them an added fire in their bellies for 2015.

We have a lot to work on, including Macca and our 'young' coaching staff, don't forget they are learning too. We have a lot to do, but I'm confident the people we have in place can get it done.

Go Footscray.

Classy reply timtam. We're all feeling the pain and it's easy to say something dumb and emotional after a day and a season like we've just had to put up with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dude we just lost to GWS. I could write a huge post about why it wasn't the coach's fault, but I just cannot be bothered. Please give it a rest for a couple of days because people are not in the mood, ok?

Tim this is a great result for the footy club if you sit down and analyse it.

Now Macca is under pressure from week one next year and we will find out one way or the other if he can coach next year instead of this constant patience rubbish.

If this man is the man to take us futher today gives him 12 months to prove he is regardless contract

You mean the same problems we've had for the last 4 years?

Yeah same problems but we were never going to fix them quickly by using the draft as our main method of list management, it was always going to take some time. We just have to get busy at the trade table and for me all of pick 5, 2nd R, 2nd R (compo), grant jones etc are all on the table just as starters.
Cut off the dead wood we have in our squad and fix several holes in our list. I'd be happy at draft time even if we only had a 3rd/4th etc and used it on Foster and Cordy, means that least we have fixed other holes on our list.

I wish we knew how to deliver a ball inside 50.
For the entire game - GWS opened up their forward line and had quick blokes running back with it. That's how Hoskin-Elliot kicked 5
For the entire game we bombed it in high and long - genius.
That's tactical. You can't tell me that's anything but tactical and the way that they're coached.

You mean the same problems we've had for the last 4 years?
In the old days the used to line everybody up at training in front of the sticks and tell them to kick 100 balls at goal. These days they analyse their emotions and discuss the non negotiables of goal kicking. Or perhaps we could get rid of all the s**t kicks from our list. Don't see any s**t kicks on the Hawks list.

First quarter - again.

We're going no where. As per usual, we've got a few 'names' (Bont, Libba, Stringer), but never a whole TEAM.

As I said last week, by the time whoever we get in the draft are ready to be fielded the 'names' we have now will be past their prime I reakon. Maybe not, but today was just so disappointing.

And whoever had a go at Minson for having a bad season, FFS, he rucks he roves all over the freaking ground on HIS OWN. No other team is blessed with that curse.

Special thanks to the AFL for scheduling our final game at the worst time possible and to the Club for organising their first POST match social club event for the season for late on a Sunday night. It would be great if we didn't have to get up at 5.30am for work.

P'd off, sigh.

In the old days the used to line everybody up at training in front of the sticks and tell them to kick 100 balls at goal. These days they analyse their emotions and discuss the non negotiables of goal kicking. Or perhaps we could get rid of all the s**t kicks from our list. Don't see any s**t kicks on the Hawks list.
that is because they won't draft any in
can't kick, can't play is their template for the draft

Combination too many older players lack of pace and having a fragile defence to easy to score against for starters.

I don't think we get much drive rebounding from defence Johannson struggles with his disposal.

I'd like to see Talia settle back in the side

Over summer we need a target big forward and perhaps a spare. Suppose we will see what happens

For the entire game - GWS opened up their forward line and had quick blokes running back with it. That's how Hoskin-Elliot kicked 5
That's tactical. You can't tell me that's anything but tactical and the way that they're coached.

Yep, we let them play the open paddock forward line for the whole game. They scored goal after goal kicking into space in their forward line and running onto it, and we did nothing tactically to try to beat this.

I wish we stop stuffing around giving the opposition an eternity to run back into our forward 50. Even a scrubby kick can be effective when there are equal numbers. Guess its a mind set thing, having the confidence to know where the forwards are going the be without having to think about it

First quarter - again.

We're going no where. As per usual, we've got a few 'names' (Bont, Libba, Stringer), but never a whole TEAM.

As I said last week, by the time whoever we get in the draft are ready to be fielded the 'names' we have now will be past their prime I reakon. Maybe not, but today was just so disappointing.

And whoever had a go at Minson for having a bad season, FFS, he rucks he roves all over the freaking ground on HIS OWN. No other team is blessed with that curse.

Special thanks to the AFL for scheduling our final game at the worst time possible and to the Club for organising their first POST match social club event for the season for late on a Sunday night. It would be great if we didn't have to get up at 5.30am for work.

P'd off, sigh.

Be better having a game that started 11am Sunday morning than 4.40pm Sunday Afternoon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back