Port wearing away strip - now ok to wear prison bar jumper - AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy the AFL kind of made up for it by letting Port play in their black and white jumper.

I honestly wouldn't mind if we used our VFL away jumper as our AFL clash strip either.

Miles_Round%201%20VFL.jpg

Everyone makes mistakes.
Poor management tries to stuff the egg back into the chicken, or chases it with yet another mistake just to avoid looking silly.
This isnt rocket science is it.

I'm not sure what the opposition is against wearing white shorts at home? The whole notion of dark shorts at home and white shorts away from home is an archaic 'tradition' and one that has to be let go if the AFL are going to get this clash jumper farce right. The strange thing is that the league actually made some great progress in choosing the proper shorts throughout most of 2012, but then reverted to unnecessary white shorts in 2013 and 2014.

There is nothing wrong with wearing white shorts at home. If you have a predominantly white guernsey, as North do, then it just makes sense. Real Madrid look great with all white (I know it's a completely different scenario but still.) If North care so much about wearing blue shorts at home then they can start wearing their inverse blue guernsey at home too.

you've basically answered your own question. it's going against the norm. it's been done since 1924 when the then VFL introduced black shorts home-white shorts away rule. just like the how some countries like germany think it's crazy to be in debt all your life to own a home but this is the thing everyone should achieve in Oz. it's about what is the norm and these views are hard to shift initially.

it shouldn't be the AFL choosing which shorts a club wear. the home club should wear a full strip that they want to identify with. La Liga don't tell Real Madrid that they have to wear white shorts. it is their choice as the strip they want to be, and have been, primarily identify with.

your approach would force Manchester United to wear red shorts instead of the white which is in their home strip with the red shirt.

prior to 1924, clubs in the VFL & VFA use to wear white shorts in their home strip to display their wealth and prestige at the time. Essendon did it, Footscray (in the days of the royals) did it, etc. they were more expensive to make, and hence, to buy. the working class clubs couldn't afford it. the shorts rule that was subsequently introduced was a half measure as a lot of clubs couldn't afford to have two sets of strips. change shorts was the most economical way to approach the similar strips issue for the whole league at the time. considering it's been around for 80-90 years now, it's becoming hard to change as that's what the clubs are used to. North identify with the blue shorts. Geelong with navy shorts.

Back of jumper is the issue

Prison bars is mainly white

predominant colour on both jerseys is still black.

i guess if Port Adelaide was Carlton, the AFL wouldn't originally have made any ruling. it now realises what an absolute balls up their administration of this issue is generally and are now trying to save face with the Port SANFL jersey.

AFL look like royal amateurs here.

This whole thing is going to be a massive distraction all week and end up a giant cluster ****.

Big rush to get the jumpers made, then what if they don't show up in time? Or show up late Saturday and don't fit, or are the wrong colour or the numbers don't fit or any other myriad of things that could go wrong? Do Richmond bring their clash strip just in case?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the Gilligan regime's first major failure and he must act swiftly to weed out some incompetent people at AFL headquarters. The whole operation requires a review. This is a complete fiasco, it is one of the most ridiculous, idiotic, stupid and absurd decisions i have ever seen these incompetent fools make. If Gilligan thinks this is his way of becoming fan friendly then he needs to look at another job. There is no clash here, what is the real agenda? Who is running this amateur hour called the AFL? I absolutely detest white away strips, i hate them totally, i never watch a match with a team playing wearing some stupid meaningless white away strip, i can't identify with that. Port should defy the AFL and run out in their normal strip, what are they going to do...disqualify them? Show some balls Port and just do it! Enough of these idiots ruining OUR game!

so you haven't watched a few recent GF's then.

match-day strips are an issue.

what's required is effective and consistent policy, not one for the 'VFL' matches, but then a separate one for AFL vs VFL, and AFL vs AFL matches.

if Port were Carlton, headquarters would not have made the original ruling. they certainly wouldn't have ordered Carlton to wear their alternative jersey, even though there are similarities between the jerseys.

inconsistency and hypocracy at its finest, and the AFL deserve all the negative attention they get. their regulations of match-day uniforms in general are an absolute joke.

same with the ANZ fiasco with and the ground surface. a stadium that gets used 99% of the time from April to August exclusively by the Swans with a surface that gets little traffic and isn't cut up 3 times a week is left to sit vacant for another weekend.

and after the poorly hadnled Essendon BS from last year, we go into another series where administration heck ups overshadow the game.

For me a major issue is that a number of teams have a lot of white in their home jumper (Sydney, Collingwood, Geelong, North), and so away jumpers that feature white end up creating an even bigger clash. The same goes for white shorts when the opposition wears white. Just adds to the confusion. When Adelaide plays Sydney in Sydney for example, it's absurd that the Crows should wear white shorts and a white top, it creates a clash with Sydney's half white jumper that doesn't otherwise exist. Wearing their home jumper and shorts in that game would be preferrable.

A 'clash' strip is not an 'away' strip that clubs must where whenever they play away. It is worn whenever there is a clash and the away team is the one responsible for wearing the 'clash' strip.

There is a subtle difference.

I'm not sure what the opposition is against wearing white shorts at home? The whole notion of dark shorts at home and white shorts away from home is an archaic 'tradition' and one that has to be let go if the AFL are going to get this clash jumper farce right. The strange thing is that the league actually made some great progress in choosing the proper shorts throughout most of 2012, but then reverted to unnecessary white shorts in 2013 and 2014.

Goes back to the days when all home teams would wear black shorts. Which, of course, pre-dates colour TV.

Stupid as it is that Port can't just wear their normal uniform, even stupider is a solution to have them wear a uniform that makes them look like another team.

Yes I know, history, prison bars, yada yada yada, fact is Collingwood had that uniform in this competition a hundred years before Port did.

couldn't they just go off the shelf as a last resort? have a feeling steven greene did this maybe 10 years ago for hawthorn.

I don't think there are retail versions of the jumper already made, that seems to be the problem. The last time it was worn was in 2013 and that had different sponsors

Happy the AFL kind of made up for it by letting Port play in their black and white jumper.

I honestly wouldn't mind if we used our VFL away jumper as our AFL clash strip either.

Miles_Round%201%20VFL.jpg

It's ridiculous isn't it.
The best solution already exists. (and looks great too)

They keep making compromise 'fixes' that compound the problem to the point where we now have a home team wearing a 'heritage' guernsey with white shorts so the visiting team can wear black shorts with their home guernsey.

why? it will always be our spiritual guernsey, embrace it

It's a s**t preparation, and it's a token gesture.

We are A V-Shaped Black Guernsey now and I'm damn well proud of it, the PB should only be for some special occassions, not a gimmick.

Stupid as it is that Port can't just wear their normal uniform, even stupider is a solution to have them wear a uniform that makes them look like another team.

Yes I know, history, prison bars, yada yada yada, fact is Collingwood had that uniform in this competition a hundred years before Port did.

Correct.

couldn't they just go off the shelf as a last resort? have a feeling steven greene did this maybe 10 years ago for hawthorn.

Different fabric available to the public... and they need the logos and the like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back