Discussion Random Chat MegaThread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a bunch of ****in' nerds. All these science bitches and maths knowin' ponces.

Essay plans are rubbish - pre write them! Seriously its the best method you can use, especially with creative writing. Adjust to the prompt accordingly.
I'm failing methods and scraping by in physics.

I really don't fit the stereotypes.

On the essay plans, yeah we got a booklet to do them, so I've gotta do it. Normally I wing in class essays and get C's which I'm perfectly happy with.

Currently at my school it's the same, but in year 11:
General Maths Science (Spec)
Maths Methods
General Maths Business (further)
A business maths stream is actually a really good idea.

My school didn't split general at all, it was just one stream. In year 11 I only did methods, but the school that I ended up doing spec at had a year 11 general stream for spec. I started so damn behind..

I'm failing methods and scraping by in physics.

I really don't fit the stereotypes.

On the essay plans, yeah we got a booklet to do them, so I've gotta do it. Normally I wing in class essays and get C's which I'm perfectly happy with.
Haha no s**t all of my mates struggled hard in methods, deadset people are just s**t at it. Scraping methods results in a good score regardless in year 12.

Passing English is all you need, but really though just remember key points and smash out an essay from there, there is only so much they can ask about Macbeth or whatever. You'll need like 4 or 5 quotes tops and they will apply to everything.

What uni course are you in Gibbsy ? I know you're doing journalism, did it require an above average ATAR?

And akkaps what would the IT stereotype be? I find it sort of saddening that your mum stopped you from doing something you were interested in.
I'm Indian, my mother didn't want me to become an IT consultant (I known alot of Indians that do IT consultancy) or a telecommunications manager.

I'm Indian, my mother didn't want me to become an IT consultant (I known alot of Indians that do IT consultancy) or a telecommunications manager.
Bizarre considering there are so many other IT related jobs out there and in the future, not to mention nearly every job requires some IT knowledge.

One of my brothers is doing an IT course at uni, and apparently the stereotype is antisocial people, don't talk to girls, get around everything sci fi. I find it quite saddening that people fall into the trap of the stereotype.

Don't worry my brother knows of a girl.

Bizarre considering there are so many other IT related jobs out there and in the future, not to mention nearly every job requires some IT knowledge.
I heard this a while ago at a career night on IT.

Most of the work you are doing now, is for jobs that you will have which don't even exist today.

You're in year 12 yeah, Dylan8? What English texts are you doing?
Anna Funder's Stasiland and Mabo (film text). Stasiland is interesting and quite a nice book, ties in well with 20th century history from year 11. Mabo on the other hand is boring as heck.

Creative writing contexts (texts?) are The Quiet American and Life of Galileo.

Haha no s**t all of my mates struggled hard in methods, deadset people are just s**t at it. Scraping methods results in a good score regardless in year 12.

Passing English is all you need, but really though just remember key points and smash out an essay from there, there is only so much they can ask about Macbeth or whatever. You'll need like 4 or 5 quotes tops and they will apply to everything.

What uni course are you in Gibbsy ? I know you're doing journalism, did it require an above average ATAR?

Haha it required a 56 – quite astounding really (although unis in Melbourne required higher scores, I'm at Deakin)

Knowing that I cruised and ended up with 79 which I was pretty happy with considering I put in minimal effort, had I really applied myself during year 12 I'm confident I would have got 90+ because a lot of things come naturally to me, but I wouldn't change a thing. Year 12 is not the be all and end all. At the end of the day, employers prefer real-life experience to numbers on a page.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sadly I knew it would have something to do with race. Serious question, do you often self-deprecate your heritage? Or those close to you? I don't think that your background or ethnicity should dictate what you can or can't become. Especially in Australia where there's so many opportunities. Without knowing the full story it just seems like a closed-minded attitude from your mother, which is a shame. If you do enjoy IT that much I hope you find a way to get into it in the future.

One of my brothers is doing an IT course at uni, and apparently the stereotype is antisocial people, don't talk to girls, get around everything sci fi. I find it quite saddening that people fall into the trap of the stereotype.

Don't worry my brother knows of a girl.
I'm studying electrical engineering, and every single one of the anti-social/no girls stereotypes is true. It took me a month to find someone I could have a conversation with. There's a maximum of about 10 girls in any lecture (way less for tutes) and boys and girls are always segregated. It's the worst.
Anna Funder's Stasiland and Mabo (film text). Stasiland is interesting and quite a nice book, ties in well with 20th century history from year 11. Mabo on the other hand is boring as ****.

Yeah I didn't do any of them.

Thought I might chuck my two bobs in. I sadly bombed out on one HSC exam, and so my ATAR was severely damaged. I only managed a 55 in a course that required a 70+. Thankfully, my Uni had a roundabout way to get into the course. By doing the secondary pathway for a semester, they slotted me straight into the second semester of the normal course :thumbsu:

Sadly I knew it would have something to do with race. Serious question, do you often self-deprecate your heritage? Or those close to you? I don't think that your background or ethnicity should dictate what you can or can't become. Especially in Australia where there's so many opportunities. Without knowing the full story it just seems like a closed-minded attitude from your mother, which is a shame. If you do enjoy IT that much I hope you find a way to get into it in the future.
She says that to find a wife, I need a job that will earn alot of money, to support my family. Because with the notion of arranged marriage, it's the girl that gets final say as to whom they will marry.

Indian families are alot about showing off to other families. 'See, my son is so smart' kind of stuff. Like, I want to do design and advertising at uni, but I am currently doing an Accounting/Arts degree because this is what has been chosen for me. When I brought up the topic of doing Design/Advertising with my grandfather, he will yell at me.

Haha it required a 56 – quite astounding really (although unis in Melbourne required higher scores, I'm at Deakin)

Knowing that I cruised and ended up with 79 which I was pretty happy with considering I put in minimal effort, had I really applied myself during year 12 I'm confident I would have got 90+ because a lot of things come naturally to me, but I wouldn't change a thing. Year 12 is not the be all and end all. At the end of the day, employers prefer real-life experience to numbers on a page.
Are you me? Haha this is good news, seriously man the amount of conflicting s**t they send your way in school is just like.. what the heck is going on? Its a mix of DO WELL ATAR IS EVERYTHING and nah, year 12 isnt the be all and end all etc. I'm under the impression they just want you to do great to boost the school rather than for your own personal development.

I'm studying electrical engineering, and every single one of the anti-social/no girls stereotypes is true. It took me a month to find someone I could have a conversation with. There's a maximum of about 10 girls in any lecture (way less for tutes) and boys and girls are always segregated. It's the worst.

Yeah I didn't do any of them.
What did you do out of curiosity?

I'm under the impression they just want you to do great to boost the school rather than for your own personal development.
It's the attitude of most schools, but the teachers that are interested in your personal development and want you to succeed are the ones that will help you before and after school if you need extra help.

If you go to a private school it's essentially a business. Get the cattle in. Feed them knowledge. Give them a shiny crest to wear. Get as much money out of them as possible. Over teach them. Treat them as a whole, don't give two shits about individuals, unless they are academically superior to everyone else. Send them to their exams. Give them a certificate saying thanks for being a student. Don't ever care or want to hear about them again, unless they become rich or famous.

Anna Funder's Stasiland and Mabo (film text). Stasiland is interesting and quite a nice book, ties in well with 20th century history from year 11. Mabo on the other hand is boring as ****.

Did the quiet American earlier this year. Interesting at times, otherwise, mostly dry. Good book though for quotes, themes and symbolism.

It's the attitude of most schools, but the teachers that are interested in your personal development and want you to succeed are the ones that will help you before and after school if you need extra help.

...Give them a certificate saying thanks for being a student. Don't ever care or want to hear about them again, unless they become rich or famous...
Teachers themselves give a s**t, its my experience with the higher up staff which has left me thinking that.

Bolded bit on the other hand is probably worse for public schools lol, any celebrity to come out of a public school is instantly latched onto.
Did the quiet American earlier this year. Interesting at times, otherwise, mostly dry. Good book though for quotes, themes and symbolism.
Yeah all about them themez man, plot doesn't matter in this area of study (creating and presenting).

Teachers themselves give a s**t, its my experience with the higher up staff which has left me thinking that.

Bolded bit on the other hand is probably worse for public schools lol, any celebrity to come out of a public school is instantly latched onto.

Yeah all about them themez man, plot doesn't matter in this area of study (creating and presenting).
Teachers should give a s**t, but some honestly don't. But they're often the terrible teachers.

Loved Stasiland. Brilliantly written, one of the few books from my school years that I can revisit.

As a product of a public school, I have nothing but praise for my Year 12 teachers. They weren't perfect, but they were always willing to invest their down time into anyone that wanted help, and all were extremely knowledgeable and able to convey that, in front of the class or one on one.

Had some absolutely terrible teachers through the earlier years, though. In Year 8, my English teacher spent almost every class exploring a variety of social media sites - Twitter, Flickr, Delicious come to mind. Unbelievably, she landed a job at a private school the following year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back