Official Club Stuff Wearing our prison bar guernsey for a home final

Remove this Banner Ad

A couple of things about wearing the best jumper in world sport yesterday for me.

How after 17 minutes into the first quarter it became less about wearing a special jumper on a special day and more about "this is Port Adelaide".

Even though we will wear it again on other special occasions (STFU eddie) I think of how people around Australia and the world that didn't know the Port story would have seen it and thought what's that all about?. Betty from Bayswater, Mike from Marybourogh, Ian from Inaloo, Chris from Cairns, Walter from Washington and Ragnar from Reykjavic now have a little bit of Port in their Psyche and we get one step further away from the insular, inbred cesspool that is the snafl....

A couple of things about wearing the best jumper in world sport yesterday for me.

How after 17 minutes into the first quarter it became less about wearing a special jumper on a special day and more about "this is Port Adelaide".

Even though we will wear it again on other special occasions (STFU eddie) I think of how people around Australia and the world that didn't know the Port story would have seen it and thought what's that all about?. Betty from Bayswater, Mike from Marybourogh, Ian from Inaloo, Chris from Cairns, Walter from Washington and Ragnar from Reykjavic now have a little bit of Port in their Psyche and we get one step further away from the insular, inbred cesspool that is the snafl....

In one of the kiosks before the game a little Richmond-supporting kid wanted to know why so many people were wearing "Pies gear".

His dad replied, "because in Adelaide Port Power were the Magpies".

"Oh okay!" said junior.

It really isn't that hard.

I doubt this "contract" McChins alludes to would hold up if pushed.

A new Collingwood President & the AFL growing a pair on guernsey issues and it wont be a problem down the track.

It's incredibly small time of Eddie, who presides over the biggest sporting brand in the country, to worry about another team's heritage guernsey impeding on their brand. If Collingwood are as big as he thinks they are (and they are), then why worry about what any other side are wearing? Do Manchester United worry about other sides that wear red? Do Juventus request that Udinese never wear black and white stripes in the Serie A? Does every second US based sports franchise care that every second other US based sports franchise wears red, white and blue?

No.

Their branding is strong enough to withstand it. And so is Collingwood's. This whole insecurity is incredibly embarrassing for such a big football club. Plenty of their fans are quite happy for us to wear our traditional guernsey and are safe in the knowledge that we aren't hurting them by wearing it.

Even this would have been fine.
zqbq.png
As much as we wish it was fine, it wasn't. The W A Football Council believe that's their state jumper. Why are they protecting a jumper that hasn't been worn for about 25 years? The worst part was they didn't care when West Coast wore it in heritage round.

As much as we wish it was fine, it wasn't. The W A Football Council believe that's their state jumper. Why are they protecting a jumper that hasn't been worn for about 25 years? The worst part was they didn't care when West Coast wore it in heritage round.

Yeah, that's an absolute disgrace. If the WA state teams were wearing it right now, I could begrudgingly understand, but they wear the design with a black swan on the front, no sash.

The AFL should probably step in and flex it's muscle a bit here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I'm assuming they don't care when Richmonds VFL side wore it?

i9iQG18.png

Been inspired

I personally wanted this in the beginning, but what the all black back lacks in originality (identical to St Kilda) it makes up for in making for an overall clean, continuous and sleek look.

There's absolutely no doubt that the prisonbars guernsey is one of the best looking strips across any sport worldwide.

what the hell is Eddie saying around 3:30 when he's just venting at this point and they have to cut him off? something about the cut of the arms and the pig of the cut?? wonder what that 'expression' means? he sounds pretty mad though, he tried to pretend it was a legal thing but ended up showing he was just mad about it. I hope we do get it as a second jumper.

Cometti again saying it's the best jumper in footy.. everyone universally agreeing it's better than Collingwood's.. he must be so pissed!!!!!! but it's us he hates, the supporters, not the club apparently! :D

If we genuinly want it we as fans must push for it in 2015. Now is the right time because we are on the up.
I'm not sure we can make it our permanent strip, but we could create a tradition out of it like wearing it every time we play Richmond at Adelaide Oval.

I personally wanted this in the beginning, but what the all black back lacks in originality (identical to St Kilda) it makes up for in making for an overall clean, continuous and sleek look.

There's absolutely no doubt that the prisonbars guernsey is one of the best looking strips across any sport worldwide.
Yeah no doubt our BiB is a bold look, I would love to see some something similar to the mock up here though like that factory seconds clash with white cuffs/sidepanels doing the rounds on ebay however.

I'm not sure we can make it our permanent strip, but we could create a tradition out of it like wearing it every time we play Richmond at Adelaide Oval.
Why Richmond? Heading towards 120 years of wearing it in some degree and Richmond? As a club we should tell Eddie to * off. Collingwood supporters will probably do that themselves soon anyway.

what the hell is Eddie saying around 3:30 when he's just venting at this point and they have to cut him off? something about the cut of the arms and the pig of the cut?? wonder what that 'expression' means? he sounds pretty mad though, he tried to pretend it was a legal thing but ended up showing he was just mad about it. I hope we do get it as a second jumper.

Cometti again saying it's the best jumper in footy.. everyone universally agreeing it's better than Collingwood's.. he must be so pissed!!!!!! but it's us he hates, the supporters, not the club apparently! :D

Rhett Bartlett, Kevin's son, is a footy historian and is fully behind us wearing the PB more often.

A couple of Collingwood fans took him to task on Twitter about it, repeating Eddie's claims of a contract and legal this, legal that.

The question is, if Eddie truly does have this ironclad power of veto, why is he being so constantly generous by letting us wear it 4 times now while simultaneously being enraged about it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back