2014 QAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

My tip goes towards Labrador. The injection of players back into Labrador and some possible injuries to Palmy puts them over by a few goals I think.

Question is are nay of these clubs capable of going up a level? or have they just got a great group right now at the level they are playing now?
1. Will Pumas be as strong once Furfaroe,Proud and Hooper move on or hang em up?
2. Will Mayne be as strong when there loyal stars Brown,Ferguson,Hoesey etc pull the pin?
I looked at a fair few of the other sides this year in QFA North and they seemed older collectively (Noosa, Kedron) than Mayne was so I'm not sure a decline will happen purely based on age of these guys you need another side to take your spot with younger better guys and the only clubs realistically that has that is in the 18's is Maroochy and Aspley...Mayne has got a lot of good guys in the 23-25 age bracket that have snuck up a bit the last year or two and really improved...

Noosa's war chest that they have collected this year will be enough to get them through next year okay, irrespective of who retires I reckon. Reckon its crap that the Pumas would be ebtter than all those QAFL sides - easy to say when they play so many "soft" games, there isn't the injuries associated with hard matches week in week out. They would be competitive as would Mayne but a fair difference in standard I would imagine.

With the way this has unfolded, are there more big changes expected in the off-season ?? I know you have access to some pretty impressive tea leaves !!

Surely Morningside would be competitive in the NEAFL, would just need financial assistance ??
Peanut,
agree. Morningside should be in the NEAFL. Yes give them financial assistance etc ...do a deal where the club agrees that they can be financial and competitive and will be happy to step back to the NEAFL.
Their current senior team , if playing in this seasons NEAFL,would of finished 8th or 9th on the ladder.Their ressies and under 18s are most likely to play in the GF s as well.... such depth and fantastic results in developing their juniors. Honestly, this is a club that should be in the NEAFL.( if financially possible).
A show of strength at local QLD footy level.!!!

Peanut,
agree. Morningside should be in the NEAFL. Yes give them financial assistance etc ...do a deal where the club agrees that they can be financial and competitive and will be happy to step back to the NEAFL.
Their current senior team , if playing in this seasons NEAFL,would of finished 8th or 9th on the ladder.Their ressies and under 18s are most likely to play in the GF s as well.... such depth and fantastic results in developing their juniors. Honestly, this is a club that should be in the NEAFL.( if financially possible).

Why would morningside want to be in the NEAFL if a side as strong as they have will only finish 8th? Sure if they had financial assistance they may pick up another couple of players, but they would struggle to ever compete with the afl sides, and who would fund them. You can't blame them for not wanting to be part of a comp that is compromised completely by the afl sides, top up player rules, listed player rules etc.

Peanut,

The two reasons why Morningside didn't apply for the NEAFL were 1. obviously the financials required to enter weren't feasible in the long-term, but mainly 2. the loss of reserve grade football would see a lot of good clubmen leave and majorly affect their notorious club culture.

With the current terms and requirements of the NEAFL, I don't see them ever applying until a few things change.

Good debate but thought some clarification was required.....
1. Never had an issue with off field culture any thing that should be referenced?

Not with the players, more to do with the way the club is run. Social Club, Football club - each blaming each other for financial woes, instead of working together.

2. Lost 2 of their best in Roscinski who pulled the pin because of where he lives and Mcdonnell due to work opportunities

Don't think McDonald played in 2013 either. Where is Heffernan-Roper? Went to Palmy in 2013, surely they could have made an effort to get him back to play in 2014?

Perhaps Rozynski would play if there was a willingness for the club to be flexible in training commitments? It's not the AFL, some blokes are worth keeping around on a flexible arrangement. I have no idea why he isn't playing, so this is just speculation anyway - but for guys like Rozynski and Heffernan-Roper to be still in their 20's and not playing footy suggests something is wrong.

3. the blokes that played Woodies were retirees over 30 years of age, Dobson and Mihalopoulas

There are a few other blokes playing down there, that should or could play senior footy at the Magpies. Why aren't they?

Green, Baker, Fraser, Monaghan?

Before that they had Nipperess, Peel, Gillespie - why do blokes choose to play down there, instead of for their senior club?

4. only lost one player of serious note to Kenmore in Corrie,Reid was a good reserve grade player and Fozzard 30+ and had retired from the level

Corrie is a pretty serious player to just see walk next door. Plenty of rumours did the rounds about why he left. something to do with coaching U/18s?

I'm not having a huge crack at the Magpies, but I've been around a long time and they have constantly been about to turn into a great QAFL Club, but then just fall in a heap.

Having said that, the geniuses at AFLQ haven't helped either - moving them (and a couple of other clubs) from one comp to another over and over again.

ok guys, what about the prelim at Broady this weekend. Who do you think will win between Palmy and Labrador.?
Should be a great contest and I expect a big crowd be it a derby between 2 gold coast based sides and being played at Broadys home ground.

I'm tipping the Tigers to turn the tables on them. With Davey back in the side and a neutral venue, and a few Palmy boys with niggles - Labrador should get the job done and take on the behemoth the following week and put in a good show.

Reckon its crap that the Pumas would be ebtter than all those QAFL sides - easy to say when they play so many "soft" games, there isn't the injuries associated with hard matches week in week out. They would be competitive as would Mayne but a fair difference in standard I would imagine.

Pretty similar list to last year, and they lost 2 games in 2013, both to Palm Beach. I would argue Magpies, Sandgate and perhaps a couple of others have gone backwards in 2014, so fair assumption that Pumas would have their measure.

Peanut,

Morningside are a model club, and what other QAFL and QFA clubs should aspire to. I love that they turned their back on NEAFL.

Morningsides 18's were ranked about 5th/6th overall - they were strong, but were towelled up by Wilston Grange during the finals (who didn't even make the GF).

On what basis should any Qld footy monies go to assisting Morningside to be a viable NEAFL club - I reckon I could say with a lot of certainty that not 1 club in either conference or QAFL would be happy with this. Who gives a toss whether they are a great club etc - their entitlement to be playing in the NEAFL has nothing to do with history. They will have a couple of boys drafted this year (probably) and probably next as well without playing in the NEAFL - why would they give a rats? Reckon their club volunteers are stoked they don't have the pressure of workign 24/7 just to keep their heads above water now..

Morningsides 18's were ranked about 5th/6th overall - they were strong, but were towelled up by Wilston Grange during the finals (who didn't even make the GF).

On what basis should any Qld footy monies go to assisting Morningside to be a viable NEAFL club - I reckon I could say with a lot of certainty that not 1 club in either conference or QAFL would be happy with this. Who gives a toss whether they are a great club etc - their entitlement to be playing in the NEAFL has nothing to do with history. They will have a couple of boys drafted this year (probably) and probably next as well without playing in the NEAFL - why would they give a rats? Reckon their club volunteers are stoked they don't have the pressure of workign 24/7 just to keep their heads above water now..

I wouldn't read to much into the Under 18's Final Series as it's a complete and utter joke.

I agree monies shouldn't go to Morningside to prop up the NEAFL. The question is, will the NEAFL survive in a few years time? The NEAFL needs Morningside more than Morningside needing the NEAFL.

The two reasons why Morningside didn't apply for the NEAFL were 1. obviously the financials required to enter weren't feasible in the long-term, but mainly 2. the loss of reserve grade football would see a lot of good clubmen leave and majorly affect their notorious club culture.

With the current terms and requirements of the NEAFL, I don't see them ever applying until a few things change.

Ruffles,
spot on. As I said, things were a bit quiet on here, so I posted the comments ( with tongue in cheek) that Morningside should be in the NEAFL ( replying to Peanuts post.) Well, my post worked didn't it!! plenty of banter coming thru now.!! Good to see., as Im just trying to generate some footy talk here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ruffles,
spot on. As I said, things were a bit quiet on here, so I posted the comments ( with tongue in cheek) that Morningside should be in the NEAFL ( replying to Peanuts post.) Well, my post worked didn't it!! plenty of banter coming thru now.!! Good to see., as Im just trying to generate some footy talk here.

Of course mate. To add to some talks: my perfect football world would see the 3 QLD NEAFL clubs drop back to the QAFL, the AFL Reserves sides create their own national competition with the top ups supplied by the State U18s and we can go back to true grassroots State League football.

But I think the NEAFL reshuffle has been talked about enough over the year and we're at a much more interesting time of the year than to talk about it over again.

Any word from the Coast about injuries and returnees? Perry-Bolt and Askey were flagged as being under an injury cloud - I think if those two big names were out then Labrador will meet Morningside for a 2010 Grand Final rematch.

As for the Grogan next Monday, hows the Team of the Year going to be named? Rising Star I think will go to Wiley Buzza, Brad Sheer had a great year too. My player of the year is Kinch but I think he'll get votes stolen by teammates. I think Trewhella will get up.

Of course mate. To add to some talks: my perfect football world would see the 3 QLD NEAFL clubs drop back to the QAFL, the AFL Reserves sides create their own national competition with the top ups supplied by the State U18s and we can go back to true grassroots State League football.

But I think the NEAFL reshuffle has been talked about enough over the year and we're at a much more interesting time of the year than to talk about it over again.

Any word from the Coast about injuries and returnees? Perry-Bolt and Askey were flagged as being under an injury cloud - I think if those two big names were out then Labrador will meet Morningside for a 2010 Grand Final rematch.

As for the Grogan next Monday, hows the Team of the Year going to be named? Rising Star I think will go to Wiley Buzza, Brad Sheer had a great year too. My player of the year is Kinch but I think he'll get votes stolen by teammates. I think Trewhella will get up.

Ruffles,
Kinch has been outstanding , over and above his team-mates. Feel he will go close to winning the Grogan.... agree Trewhella will be up there,, and Labradors Davey, who missed so many games with injury,,,must still be up there,,, reckon he will poll 3 votes at least 7 or 8 times, which may get him over the line.Daveys situation is similar to Gary Ablett jnr whom I feel is still a chance to take the Brownlow regardless of missing the last 8 games..... feel he should poll plenty of 3 votes as well.

I wouldn't read to much into the Under 18's Final Series as it's a complete and utter joke.

I agree monies shouldn't go to Morningside to prop up the NEAFL. The question is, will the NEAFL survive in a few years time? The NEAFL needs Morningside more than Morningside needing the NEAFL.

In what respect? The 2 best sides of the year are in the GF (albeit Aspley are very very fortunate) and it was a reasonable system that they used to compromise for all U18 clubs. Not sure the Siders ever had a mortgage on being in the top 2 did they?

Not with the players, more to do with the way the club is run. Social Club, Football club - each blaming each other for financial woes, instead of working together.

Don't think McDonald played in 2013 either. Where is Heffernan-Roper? Went to Palmy in 2013, surely they could have made an effort to get him back to play in 2014?

Perhaps Rozynski would play if there was a willingness for the club to be flexible in training commitments? It's not the AFL, some blokes are worth keeping around on a flexible arrangement. I have no idea why he isn't playing, so this is just speculation anyway - but for guys like Rozynski and Heffernan-Roper to be still in their 20's and not playing footy suggests something is wrong.

There are a few other blokes playing down there, that should or could play senior footy at the Magpies. Why aren't they?

Green, Baker, Fraser, Monaghan?

Before that they had Nipperess, Peel, Gillespie - why do blokes choose to play down there, instead of for their senior club?

Corrie is a pretty serious player to just see walk next door. Plenty of rumours did the rounds about why he left. something to do with coaching U/18s?

I'm not having a huge crack at the Magpies, but I've been around a long time and they have constantly been about to turn into a great QAFL Club, but then just fall in a heap.

Having said that, the geniuses at AFLQ haven't helped either - moving them (and a couple of other clubs) from one comp to another over and over again.

I'm tipping the Tigers to turn the tables on them. With Davey back in the side and a neutral venue, and a few Palmy boys with niggles - Labrador should get the job done and take on the behemoth the following week and put in a good show.

Pretty similar list to last year, and they lost 2 games in 2013, both to Palm Beach. I would argue Magpies, Sandgate and perhaps a couple of others have gone backwards in 2014, so fair assumption that Pumas would have their measure.

Morningside are a model club, and what other QAFL and QFA clubs should aspire to. I love that they turned their back on NEAFL.

Lots of relevent points must have a good insight to the club, I know they have put a new board in place to rectify the social club finances etc. season launch was a black tie event in the city that raised 60k odd good start, the boys that have chosen to play a lower level (Woodies) over the years has purely been a commitment thing and during those years the senior team had high training standaeds that the majority were happy to keep,Mcdonell has always been about work and has been a great servant,Roscinski is the one who wont play unless he can commit to training pretty sure the club would work with him he is a 3 time premiership player and amazing servant. Heffernan Roper left by choice and the club has tried luring him back but that is his choice.....i really think it is time that they look past those blokes who were amazing servants to the club and the new generation knuckle down in October and lift their own standards

have to agree with that, but with the way the 18's were going this year - you just have to wonder where the talent will come from.

I didn't see much 16's but I do know your boys made the GF, which is good. They will stay together too, given its 17's and 19's next year. Hopefully there are some senior players in there as well.

I don't know that much about the club, but given I live in the South/Western suburbs, I have an affinity for the Magpies and Vultures as they are essentially my 'local' clubs at the highest level.

Should be a ripper game not much between these two sides. Labrador won the first encounter by a couple of goals and Palmy won the last couple of games by a couple. Tom Daniels, Ryan Davey and Kieran Daley all back I think its going to be the tigers through to the grand final against the almighty and powerful Morningside. And to the tigers credit they have done it with no help from their NEAFL side in Southport not one player has dropped back, a fair effort. But you cant write Palmy off, they smashed us twice during the year in the wet and where pretty impressive. Good luck to both teams and I hope its a good game. Has anyone heard, has Matt Angus kept the job at Southport?

It's interesting this desire to have the 3 NEAFL clubs back - with probably 5x the paying power of 3/4 of the other clubs, if not all, do people really think that anyone else will be able to compete. These 3 clubs are where they are for a reason. We can all wax lyrically and look misty eyed at Morningside as a club who "should be" in the #1 comp but I think people involved with their club understand what is best for them long term, not massaging someones ego today. They won't be a weak club in 10 years time but they certainly won't be as dominant as today as the trickle effect takes place with surrounding clubs + they will still be putting photos on their walls of boys who have managed to push thru to the AFL thru their junior programs which is really important.

have to agree with that, but with the way the 18's were going this year - you just have to wonder where the talent will come from.

I didn't see much 16's but I do know your boys made the GF, which is good. They will stay together too, given its 17's and 19's next year. Hopefully there are some senior players in there as well.

I don't know that much about the club, but given I live in the South/Western suburbs, I have an affinity for the Magpies and Vultures as they are essentially my 'local' clubs at the highest level.
get on the pies they'll get there.... good chat

get on the pies they'll get there.... good chat
Looking forward to a great crowd at Broady on saturday - should be a great game and hopefully good for the coffers. Davey and Daniel in from last time they met and Perry-Bolt for Palmy should make for an interesting game. Great effort by both clubs to be up there considering Palmy's jump in levels and Labrador rebuilding quickly. Shame for my Cats but have really enjoyed watching the QAFL this year and has been a great boost to the Cattery. Need a couple more experienced players and they will be up there again.
Think Lab may upset Palmy though and win by 3 goals.
Heard Angus was re appointed several weeks ago at Southport - it was reported in the paper here anyway.

Would imagine a real win going back a level for clubs like Broadbeach and labrador Kitty? Or even not so much going back a level but just competing on a reasonably level playing field financially? Reckon with Surfers and PBC all in the same comp, therefore reducing the amount of travel, it would have been a pretty good year.

In what respect? The 2 best sides of the year are in the GF (albeit Aspley are very very fortunate) and it was a reasonable system that they used to compromise for all U18 clubs. Not sure the Siders ever had a mortgage on being in the top 2 did they?

Your kidding Right? So I gather Mayne and Springwood are also being robbed for not being able to play off in the QAFL Grand Final this year?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back