2014 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Found this.

2 minute of youtube ... that's enough to draft someone isn't it? ;)

Not sure. Iis he a left foot / right foot? Id like to see him take a mark and have a set shot , like to see him play deep and read the inbound ball but..... the one thing I did like is he looks mobile. I remember looking at few kid like Jones and others previously thinking not bad , and just like this kid.. not bad. Worth a late pick? Worth a Rookie? Not sure , combine results would help to sort it.
The one thing I do want to see us do is bring the best kid like this we can. Rather pump games into an extra tall on our list and lose the odd ruck , than us being int the position of having/forced to chase one.

He probably will be late pic/ rookie, but it's not like I filmed him when I saw him play. As I said I just like the look of him.

Only seem him once live though, and he went alright.

He probably will be late pic/ rookie, but it's not like I filmed him when I saw him play. As I said I just like the look of him.

Only seem him once live though, and he went alright.

Most of us make judgements on very small samples so no personal criticism meant. He made the TAC side so he must have something. A kid like this , maybe another CatB ruck and we would be a lot better of. Probably wouldn't help us now but at least we wouldn't be totally empty of options.

2 minute of youtube ... that's enough to draft someone isn't it? ;)

Not sure. Iis he a left foot / right foot?
Id like to see him take a mark and have a set shot , like to see him play deep and read the inbound ball but..... the one thing I did like is he looks mobile. I remember looking at few kid like Jones and others previously thinking not bad , and just like this kid.. not bad. Worth a late pick? Worth a Rookie? Not sure , combine results would help to sort it.
The one thing I do want to see us do is bring the best kid like this we can. Rather pump games into an extra tall on our list and lose the odd ruck , than us being int the position of having/forced to chase one.

He seemed to swing onto his left foot quite naturally and that gave me the impression that the left side may be his preferred side.

Was my thought as well , a lot of work with his left had too.

I did not notice that hand work, but being a lefty myself I find lefties stick out like the proverbial Canine reproductive organs. I was left footed but right handed.

I did not notice that hand work, but being a lefty myself I find lefties stick out like the proverbial Canine reproductive organs. I was left footed but right handed.

Does it affect the foot you jump off. I was alway luck to get anything of the ground but my best was left leg (I'm right handed) , maybe a basketball thing with layups not sure.

Does it affect the foot you jump off. I was alway luck to get anything of the ground but my best was left leg (I'm right handed) , maybe a basketball thing with layups not sure.

No, I jumped from the right foot but never got much elevation. When I did martial arts as a teenager (a hangover from the Bruce Lee phenomenon of the 70's) I favoured the right foot to kick. I was crippled when I was a kid (Ostiomyelitis) and wore a caliper on the right leg so kicking a footy with the right was out. I may possibly have been a natural right footer (I will never know) but was restricted to the left due to the caliper.

Now back on topic.

Last edited:
So , after last night ( North final ) we need to find a way to get stronger bodied pace into the side ideally ... but talented pace. My interest in the combine will be the mid picks that may last to us with pace and class.
For one I will be watching is Weller but Im sure other will be worth a watch as well

I want Weller. Also Duggan because I want blokes in our back half who can kick.

But mainly we need a ruckman, desperately.

I want Weller. Also Duggan because I want blokes in our back half who can kick.

But mainly we need a ruckman, desperately.

There's quite a few players that I have interest in this year. In addition to Duggan and Weller; Goddard, DeGoey, Menadue, Blakely, Clem Smith, Marchbank and Ellis all have a lot to like.

With regard to a ruck, unless someone emerges that is truly deserving of a rnd 1 pick, I'd be using a player to trade and/or lower picks.
I know it's being greedy (and probably unrealistic), but I'd love to come away from the FA/trade/draft period with Frawley; a decent, fit ruck; and 2 of the players from the above list - Goddard and Weller or Blakely would be nice but would require us to trade into a higher pick in the late first/early second round.

There's quite a few players that I have interest in this year. In addition to Duggan and Weller; Goddard, DeGoey, Menadue, Blakely, Clem Smith, Marchbank and Ellis all have a lot to like.

With regard to a ruck, unless someone emerges that is truly deserving of a rnd 1 pick, I'd be using a player to trade and/or lower picks.
I know it's being greedy (and probably unrealistic), but I'd love to come away from the FA/trade/draft period with Frawley; a decent, fit ruck; and 2 of the players from the above list - Goddard and Weller or Blakely would be nice but would require us to trade into a higher pick in the late first/early second round.

I think Menadue sounds good on the one review I read , and I mentioned DeGoey at the champs. Has a Caddy type feel to him , impact type.
Not sure on Blakey do we need another inside mid kid? I think JJ has it covered atm , (mature OK but draft?).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is this:
Get Frawley
Keep 1st round get Goddard/Weller/Duggan/DeGoey, at least one should be available
Trade our 2nd round for a decent mature ruck (there are a few we could get for this pick)
Trade our 3rd rounder and some sort of combo of Hunt/Brown Smedts to get back into mid-late 2nd round
Use 2nd round on Blakely/Bampton/Gore (these are the type of players I think we need but it could be anyone)
Elevate Blicavs with our 4th rounder and use our rookie pick on a ruckman. Done.

How is this:
Get Frawley
Keep 1st round get Goddard/Weller/Duggan/DeGoey, at least one should be available
Trade our 2nd round for a decent mature ruck (there are a few we could get for this pick)
Trade our 3rd rounder and some sort of combo of Hunt/Brown Smedts to get back into mid-late 2nd round
Use 2nd round on Blakely/Bampton/Gore (these are the type of players I think we need but it could be anyone)
Elevate Blicavs with our 4th rounder and use our rookie pick on a ruckman. Done.

Perfect.

My hope and plan would be:

- get frawley

Solves our void of zero up and coming full backs to take the no.1 forward. A backline can be built around the 3 talls, Taylor, frawely and kolo.

- left field but bare with me... Ensure frawely gets Melbourne pick 3, then look to trade our round 1 (#14) plus one of Murdoch or horlin-smith for pick #3.

Melbourne have declared their openness to trade 3, and they get a youngish up n comer from a good side plus a mid first. People may disagree with this, but I don't see a high ceiling in either Murdoch or HS, and view them as replaceable. I also think we are void of top shelf talent due to our success and having late picks.

- IMO there is a bit if a gap between picks 2 and 3 with mccartin and petracca the standouts. Accordingly, I'd on trade pick 3 to Gold Coast for their #7 & #15 (maybe swap of later picks to even it). GC are still fighting their list squeeze and can add more top shelf talent. With these picks, I'd target 1 tall and 1 mid. Eg, durdin plus weller or lavarde and Goddard.

- trade our second plus hunt/brown for an upgraded second (eg #30). This pick I'd target garlett. I think he is quite underrated and wont be surprised if he falls into the first round come November. Gives us elite ball carrying ability. The other option is to trade this pick for a young durable ruck.

-Trade the other of hunt/brown for a 3rd round (that is better than our current 3rd), eg #42 to use on a ruckman. Trade for lowden or giles is an option.

I think Menadue sounds good on the one review I read , and I mentioned DeGoey at the champs. Has a Caddy type feel to him , impact type.
Not sure on Blakey do we need another inside mid kid? I think JJ has it covered atm , (mature OK but draft?).

My theory is that if you draft 4 inside mids then 2 will play 100-150 games if you're lucky. Blakely I reckon would round off a handy group of inside mids. I have lost confidence that Horlin-Smith will be the player to fit in that group - I just think his lack of athleticism in this day and age may ultimately limit his scope for improvement and impact long term.

Having said that, if we were to take any of those other named players instead then I'd have no problem with that either. DeGoey looks a nice type but doesn't seem to win as much of the footy at the moment. Menadue seems to be an impact player as well, albeit in a more explosive game style

- get frawley

Solves our void of zero up and coming full backs to take the no.1 forward. A backline can be built around the 3 talls, Taylor, frawely and kolo.

- left field but bare with me... Ensure frawely gets Melbourne pick 3, then look to trade our round 1 (#14) plus one of Murdoch or horlin-smith for pick #3.

Melbourne have declared their openness to trade 3, and they get a youngish up n comer from a good side plus a mid first. People may disagree with this, but I don't see a high ceiling in either Murdoch or HS, and view them as replaceable. I also think we are void of top shelf talent due to our success and having late picks.

- IMO there is a bit if a gap between picks 2 and 3 with mccartin and petracca the standouts. Accordingly, I'd on trade pick 3 to Gold Coast for their #7 & #15 (maybe swap of later picks to even it). GC are still fighting their list squeeze and can add more top shelf talent. With these picks, I'd target 1 tall and 1 mid. Eg, durdin plus weller or lavarde and Goddard.

- trade our second plus hunt/brown for an upgraded second (eg #30). This pick I'd target garlett. I think he is quite underrated and wont be surprised if he falls into the first round come November. Gives us elite ball carrying ability. The other option is to trade this pick for a young durable ruck.

-Trade the other of hunt/brown for a 3rd round (that is better than our current 3rd), eg #42 to use on a ruckman. Trade for lowden or giles is an option.

If you can pull that off you are a magician and a great conman! I like it though.

My theory is that if you draft 4 inside mids then 2 will play 100-150 games if you're lucky. Blakely I reckon would round off a handy group of inside mids. I have lost confidence that Horlin-Smith will be the player to fit in that group - I just think his lack of athleticism in this day and age may ultimately limit his scope for improvement and impact long term.

Having said that, if we were to take any of those other named players instead then I'd have no problem with that either. DeGoey looks a nice type but doesn't seem to win as much of the footy at the moment. Menadue seems to be an impact player as well, albeit in a more explosive game style

My reservation about GHS is he lacks a bit of agility and skill , not so much pace. Compare him to Mitchell. Skills both sides. He is still capable of making it but yes I have a few areas that mean he may get passed by better talent. Still early days , plenty of guys struggle early. I rate Thurlow and he looked like he swallowed pretty hard last night. Big experience for him.

My guess if we went back and looked at 02-04 some queries would be made on range of players , some made , others didn't so I agree we just keep getting quality into the mid area and let the cream rise. My concern is not as much inside as you . Hartman look like he will make it now , I confident that JJ will. Lang is a inside / outside player. I think we lack the creative ability mixed with goal sneak aspects. I also would like a humongous gut running animal who lives to be an utter bastard. someone we can play in the middle or across the back. Not quite mean enough for mine. Not enough guys that really want to hurt people with a strong tackle. Find two mids like that for me.

Weller could be the forward/mid but Im sure there are others that may appeal. And with my history , as soon as I pick someone , I should start looking at someone else cause I never get Wells R1 pick correct.

- get frawley

- left field but bare with me... Ensure frawely gets Melbourne pick 3, then look to trade our round 1 (#14) plus one of Murdoch or horlin-smith for

JK , is an interesting one. Where does he fit in. If we want him to be a player he needs games next year at some stage , so he can be a regular in 2016. I really like what I have seen but....... I wonder if GC brought us a deal what we would do.

I actually like the thinking , what I do not know is what it would take. If as you propose Id do it , in fact Id even look at adding a bit if they were willing to give us their R2. Wright , McCartin, would be amazing gets for us. reading this , Roos loves Brayshaw.
http://boundforglorynews.com/paige-cardonas-phantom-draft-4-0/

Id even be willing to commit his non pick , if they had to trade us 2 rather than 3. Wright would be a huge get , be like adding Daniher to our forwardline.

Sounds good but gees I hate to see those get another good kid thru us. Its how they have Omeara and Martin. #15 is our comp pick , (if they came to us for JK and offer our comp pick back.... Yes I wouldn't mind another pick ) .
Who knows if any of these trades are realistic. There may be a bit of wheeling dealing in the next months

http://boundforglorynews.com/paige-cardonas-phantom-draft-4-0/

My reservation about GHS is he lacks a bit of agility and skill , not so much pace. Compare him to Mitchell. Skills both sides. He is still capable of making it but yes I have a few areas that mean he may get passed by better talent. Still early days , plenty of guys struggle early. I rate Thurlow and he looked like he swallowed pretty hard last night. Big experience for him.

My guess if we went back and looked at 02-04 some queries would be made on range of players , some made , others didn't so I agree we just keep getting quality into the mid area and let the cream rise. My concern is not as much inside as you . Hartman look like he will make it now , I confident that JJ will. Lang is a inside / outside player. I think we lack the creative ability mixed with goal sneak aspects. I also would like a humongous gut running animal who lives to be an utter bastard. someone we can play in the middle or across the back. Not quite mean enough for mine. Not enough guys that really want to hurt people with a strong tackle. Find two mids like that for me.

Weller could be the forward/mid but Im sure there are others that may appeal. And with my history , as soon as I pick someone , I should start looking at someone else cause I never get Wells R1 pick correct.

Hartman is one I forgot about. I like him a lot and at this early stage he seems to have both inside and outside qualities.

It's probably a discussion for another thread, but next year we really need to get a whole lot of games into the likes of Hartman, McCarthy, Lang, Thurlow, Bews and Jansen. Even if that means we take a bit of a hit on the ladder I think it's still in our best interest for the years ahead. Of the senior guys we should be phasing out Kelly immediately, and really seeing less of Bartel, SJ and Enright.

With regard to your comments about drafting someone with a mean streak, I think collectively our younger players lack that bit of "campaigner". Think back to 2007-2011 and we had Chapman, Rooke, Milburn, Mooney. Even Ling was a competive beast in the Selwood mould. We don't have those players now. A little more aggression wouldn't go astray. Also as a group, we now tackle very poorly. I couldn't count the number of missed or broken tackles we failed to make in the past fortnight.

Hartman is one I forgot about. I like him a lot and at this early stage he seems to have both inside and outside qualities.

It's probably a discussion for another thread, but next year we really need to get a whole lot of games into the likes of Hartman, McCarthy, Lang, Thurlow, Bews and Jansen. Even if that means we take a bit of a hit on the ladder I think it's still in our best interest for the years ahead. Of the senior guys we should be phasing out Kelly immediately, and really seeing less of Bartel, SJ and Enright.

With regard to your comments about drafting someone with a mean streak, I think collectively our younger players lack that bit of "campaigner". Think back to 2007-2011 and we had Chapman, Rooke, Milburn, Mooney. Even Ling was a competive beast in the Selwood mould. We don't have those players now. A little more aggression wouldn't go astray. Also as a group, we now tackle very poorly. I couldn't count the number of missed or broken tackles we failed to make in the past fortnight.

A lot do , I'm still yet to ready say "I like him a lot" but I think he has shown an amazing transformation , and huge progress. Look like a pick that will be a win ie play a lot of senior footy for us. If he can train up and get hard , he has a lot of raw talent. Not sure if he is quick but inside he is quite swift and has good hand to eye. And he gives us another inside player.

We need to add some kicking skill and speed now to receive of those inside guys.The little Ive seen of Weller , he would be a good start.

So , after last night ( North final ) we need to find a way to get stronger bodied pace into the side ideally ... but talented pace. My interest in the combine will be the mid picks that may last to us with pace and class.
For one I will be watching is Weller but Im sure other will be worth a watch as well
I was out last night and tried to watch the recording when I got home but just couldn't do it after halftime.

While I had my concerns I did think we'd be able to get over North but sadly it wasn't to be.

Still, I watched the first half and, in combination with the Hawks final, I'm thinking like you - we need to add a bit more run on the outside (I think Selwood, Caddy, Horlin-Smith, Christensen, Guthrie along with Jansen, Hartman and Lang have us looking solid enough for the next few years).

As much as I like Blakely I'm starting to lean more towards Ahern.

If we get Frawley (which I feel oddly confident about) we look to a mid (there just isn't a ruckman worth using our first pick on).

Not too sure Bampton would slip to our 2nd selection unless we trade to get a pick in the 20s.

As for a half back/mid with kicking skills, I'd look at Wigg.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back