All things James Frawley - pick #3 compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

It's interesting if Freo are offering that which would equal tier 1 compensation. I'm sad to see him go but the compensation over rules that. Pre free agency past teams have had to make brave decisions and trade out gun players to get high picks. Take a look at croad, was a big key forward, almost got Hawthorn into a grand final then was traded for the number 1 pick (Hodge if you've been living under a rock). Basically what I'm saying is free agency didn't exist and we had to trade to get high picks in I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to trade Frawley. The fact it does exist and the compensation is that good then it's even better.

Do we know for sure that $500k is the benchmark for a category one compensatory pick?
It's the total value of the contract from what I gather. So because of the length and the $ it should put us over. Anything over 4 years and 600k or 5 years and 500k is good enough for tier 1. I'll look for the article but it might take a while.

For 5 years, I don't see how it could be anything else.
For corroborating information:
Although the number of million dollar men dropped in 2013, 63 players earned more than $500,000, up from 51 in 2012 and 40 in 2011.
The average AFL salary in 2013 was $265,179, up from $251,559 in 2012.
Taken from here.

So, in theory, if anyone of those 63 players were traded under FA, they would result in a band one compo pick.

I think contract length would be taken into account specifically for averaging the salary to prevent over or under loading the first year to manipulate the system.

I think they take into account the entire value on the contract.

Look at Buddy. Swans beat GWS with $10m over 9 years, approx. $1.1m per year. GWS reported offer was $1.5m per year for 5 years, approx. $7.5m in total

I think they take into account the entire value on the contract.

Look at Buddy. Swans beat GWS with $10m over 9 years, approx. $1.1m per year. GWS reported offer was $1.5m per year for 5 years, approx. $7.5m in total
Yes, but that's a decision for Buddy, not for the AFL.

The AFL is only looking at the final contract that Buddy accepts for deciding the compo pick.

Yes, but that's a decision for Buddy, not for the AFL.

The AFL is only looking at the final contract that Buddy accepts for deciding the compo pick.

GWS pulled out because of the size of the total contract. When they pulled out it wasn't known that the Swans deal had been in the works for 10 months

GWS pulled out because of the size of the total contract. When they pulled out it wasn't known that the Swans deal had been in the works for 10 months
Correct, and my point still stands.

GWS's offer was irrelevant to the AFL in deciding the compo pick. Only the Swans offer that Buddy accepted. And then, there is some weighting of average annual salary and length factored in to determine the pick that the Hawks received.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's be honest
Richmond built there revival around 5 core players

Rance , deledio, Martin, cotchin and riewoldt

So we have
McDonald , jones , Tyson , trengove and hogan

Rance is a gun 1 on 1 defender with questionable disposal
McDonald isn't strong enough to be as effective as rance but he is a decent young gun

The real difference of the midfields is not the disposal count , it's the ability to play forward or back as the tigers mids can
Martin and deledio and cotch hit the scoreboard and we will need ours to do the same

Jeremy Howe is probably closer to riewoldt but the point is they have a good key forward who can kick important goals

Let's be honest

So we have

McDonald isn't strong enough to be as effective as rance but he is a decent young gun

The real difference of the midfields is not the disposal count , it's the ability to play forward or back as the tigers mids can
Martin and deledio and cotch hit the scoreboard and we will need ours to do the same

Jeremy Howe is probably closer to riewoldt but the point is they have a good key forward who can kick important goals

Unfortunately, our top five is way inferior to most team's top five (and our middle five is worse than most, and our bottom five are too ... you get the picture):

Rance > McDonald
Deledio = Jones
Martin > Tyson (for now)
Cotchin > Trengove
Riewoldt > Hogan

Unfortunately, our top five is way inferior to most team's top five (and our middle five is worse than most, and our bottom five are too ... you get the picture):

Rance > McDonald
Deledio = Jones
Martin > Tyson (for now)
Cotchin > Trengove
Riewoldt > Hogan
We're also younger. Richmond have players like Connors, Jackson, King, Newman, etc all over the ground who take the heat off their gun players to an extent and allowed them to develop, and then brought in even more big bodies in Houli, Grigg, and so on.

Richmond have players like Connors, Jackson, King, Newman, etc all over the ground who take the heat off their gun players to an extent

What kind of heat are you talking about here?

brought in even more big bodies in Houli, Grigg, and so on.

Surely you can't classify the Lay Down Sally of AFL football as a big body?

Rance > McDonald
Deledio = Jones
Martin > Tyson (for now)
Cotchin > Trengove
Riewoldt > Hogan

Jones > Deledio purely because of taggers. Old Brett doesn't like a tag and a lot of the time it takes him completely out of a game whereas Jones is always present.

Houli rivals Harry O for most useless size in the comp. (Dawes get a reprieve for his tackling)

I'm very disappointed that there isn't a YouTube video of that time he was getting coralled in the pocket, kept trying to work a bit of space on his left and eventually ended up sitting down on the turf and accepting the tackle. Didn't even think to play for the deliberate out of bounds and at least make the tackler take his shot from the boundary line. Was glorious to watch.

Rance > McDonald
Deledio = Jones
Martin > Tyson (for now)
Cotchin > Trengove
Riewoldt > Hogan

Deledio can kick multiple goals or play off the back flank

Let's be honest

So we have

If this is how it is, then we're stuffed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back