Toast Four Players make AA Squad from the Cattery

Remove this Banner Ad

Riewoldt had an amazing year, people shouldn't overlook that. But he was in a wooden spoon side, Hawk is stiff.

I think it's possible to make a case for either side, but to wholly discount Riewoldt is pretty ignorant. If you don't recognize why he could be considered the best true CHF then you haven't been paying attention. That being said, credit is due Hawkins way and the opinion that he should be in the team over Riewoldt isn't entirely invalid, but it isn't any more valid than recognizing a key forward that can still take the most marks in the league, stay in the top 10 for the Coleman until the very last round, average more or equal disposals with all the biggest forwards, has better accuracy than even some of the most heralded as being dead eye's, and can have games of 30 possessions, 16 marks, 4 goals despite being in the bottom team with some of the worst service you have ever seen. Do some honestly not recognize that given that form if he were in a higher quality team those numbers would be even better?

I'm not trying to stir, I'm genuinely not, but I think it's pretty crazy to just scoff at the notion that he didn't have an incredible year. Very few CHF's that can play through the midfield down to the backline and sprint the length of the field to kick a goal in the forward line and do that repeatedly. That has to be recognized as almost uniquely his ability.

Led them bravely all the way to the spoon - romantic nonsense from the selectors; in which case, where was Lonergan's guernsey?
Riewoldt had a good year, kept his chin up despite running around with a rabble, ran hard as always.
But Tom Hawkins genuinely scared the bejesus out of defenses this year.

this exactly - particularly the bolded!
Wasn't Lonners the stingiest FB in the league this year? Weren't his, Taylor's and Rivers' stats all in the top 5 of the league?

Finished third, with the same number of wins as Hawthorn and Sydney, and get one AA position. What a joke.

Hawkins robbed!
Strictly, we finished 5th but given finals don't count for AA recognition- or do they?- we can accept your assertion as spot on.
What about NM? Now a top 4 team- ZERO AA's.

Strictly, we finished 5th but given finals don't count for AA recognition- or do they?- we can accept your assertion as spot on.
What about NM? Now a top 4 team- ZERO AA's.

Got to rub that in tonight when Hubby was having a whinge about Selwood. Doubled up by giving him the news that Selwood was AA Captain ;) Ahhh.... sweet revenge. Not quite as good as if we'd won on Fri night (in which case I would be most magnanimous and not said a word-- honest!! ;)) but it's a soothing salve for an aching soul!

Got to rub that in tonight when Hubby was having a whinge about Selwood. Doubled up by giving him the news that Selwood was AA Captain ;) Ahhh.... sweet revenge. Not quite as good as if we'd won on Fri night (in which case I would be most magnanimous and not said a word-- honest!! ;)) but it's a soothing salve for an aching soul!
Who does your hubby follow?

Wasn't Lonners the stingiest FB in the league this year?

Yep. He won the reverse Coleman for least goals conceded. The argument people make against him is that the ability to lock down an opponent is all he offers, but then, they selected Talia, and he's a very similar type of dour, negating defender. I did find it a bit odd that all the talk pre-announcement centred around which of Talia, Rance, Mackenzie and Hooker would miss out, with the tacit assumption being that three of that group deserved to make it. Lonergan didn't really seem to enter in to the popular conversation.

Yep. He won the reverse Coleman for least goals conceded. The argument people make against him is that the ability to lock down an opponent is all he offers, but then, they selected Talia, and he's a very similar type of dour, negating defender. I did find it a bit odd that all the talk pre-announcement centred around which of Talia, Rance, Mackenzie and Hooker would miss out, with the tacit assumption being that three of that group deserved to make it. Lonergan didn't really seem to enter in to the popular conversation.
Yeah- I agree- it did seem to be a bit preemptive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whinging about Selwood before or after the tribunal appeal?

I am not not normally bothered about individual awards but at the end of his career this achievement will be missing. It is not right.

How on earth did we win 17 games with only one decent forward (tall or small) unless that forward was an absolute monster. It is just so wrong that he has been robbed of this. He will push Selwood in the b and f.

The current All-Australian selection panel is Gillon McLachlan (chairman), Mark Evans, Kevin Bartlett, Luke Darcy, Danny Frawley, Glen Jakovich, Cameron Ling and Mark Ricciuto.
It's a media-owned event.
The story is more important than the facts.
No controversy = no sales for the selectors' employers = no advertising revenue for the boss = no jobs for the selectors.

#1 in contested marks
#1 in marks i50
#2 in goals.
An absolute beast in 1 on 1's. If he played for another team I'd be very nervous anytime a defender was one out with him.
Apparently not enough for the FF spot, gotta get golden boy Riewoldt in there somehow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back