Review Cats make Swans live the GF again and add more hurt by 93 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Settle down. Clearly not being serious.

But honestly, it is odd that C Scott talks Ceglar up and says he can see him and Stanley playing together.

Has it ever happened? It’s embarrassing

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He talks up almost everyone. That's the kind of coach he is.

It seems to work.

”Highlights for me:
Simpson’s goal;
Zuthrie’s tackle on Heeney;
Sav + SDK protecting Swans’ goal square;
Holmes + Atkins’ tackling;
My Boy Miers’ soccer to Blitz + goal;
Sav’s marks, punches, intercepts;
Zuthrie strong marks, tackles;
Kolo to Atkins to Ollie + goal;
Sav punch, gathered by Danger, handballed to My Boy Miers, who took it with left hand, kicked to Cameron + BANG
💥
goal;
Close tackling Fox;
Rohan tackled Blakey, kicked to Jezza, who clapped Rohan’s tackle + goal
View attachment 1668479

Atkins to Close + SDK took strong contested mark, one of three, kicked to Jezza + banana for goal five;
Rohan’s tackling might;
My Boy Miers’ kick, bringing Hawkins out on the lead to take a spectacular sliding mark;
SDK’s Poly Farmer like handball;
Danger mark while being tackled, with 2.5 minutes to go, was really extracting the urine;
Jezza’s fifth goal nails the coffin shut!

Best game by Kolo;
Hawkins has improved fitness after foot surgery + short pre-season. Strong marking + rucking;
My Boy Miers significantly improved form;
Feel mean leaving so many other players out of my highlights. Must say my biggest highlight was the phenomenal team effort!
💙🤍💙🤍💙🤍💙🤍💙🤍🤍
Team cohesion, effort, camaraderie!

Improvement Required:
Hot potato handballs when there was room to kick the ball;
Giving too much room to oppo players instead of sticking to their man;

PS Why the anger towards SDK rucking?
Super leap, which went past Swans.

00E5571C-943E-4CCE-AC8A-EC9F3974EE98.jpeg

Swans’ player soccered to Holmes + Danger gathered, handballed to SDK, who handballed over Swans, to Close to Simpson + goal. All nearby players congratulated SDK.
3F2BF174-D5DD-4A59-9EF1-40533BF3EECA.jpeg 75712A28-B3FD-4558-A1F5-A5039378B328.jpeg

SDK’s next ruck contest:
CF36C98E-AB9F-4D8C-AFA8-07E5FE612338.jpeg

View attachment 1668443
View attachment 1668456

Ultimately led to Simpson’s second goal.

In SDK’s fourth ruck, tapped to Cuthrie, handballed to Danger, kicked to Hawkins + 💥 goal!
He’s only played 29 games for us. To be thrown in to play ruck, on a huge occasion + to impact the game from centre square, so Geelong kicked three goals is a super effort.
Give him a break!

EDIT: Think I stuffed up photos

Just watched the replay and that was seriously impressive footy. Completely bullied the Swans. Yes they were missing a bunch of talls but it was their smalls getting dominated as well. That was as complete a performance as we could put out there.

The most impressive thing was that it wasn't just the old heads dominating. Clearly Danger, Blicavs, Hawkins and Cameron were great. But O'Connor was more physical than I've ever seen him and his game especially early was unreal. Kolo, Zuthrie and Bowes won so many big one on ones. Miers and Close were awesome.

And the biggest tick was Simpson made it through and reminded us he's got a lot to offer. Hard to see how he breaks into our best 22 this year (although I would've said the same thing early 2020) but another preseason and his confidence back and he could be a quality long-term player. His steps and composure in traffic are so good.

Pure footy poetry in motion, the Cats on Sat night. Yes, Swans had an undersized backline but Cats were just so breathtakingly in sych in the midfield - more the impressive that the Swans have a very strong bunch of mids and were determined to make up for the GF rout.

Some thoughts -
-Miers - joy to watch. His footy brain is light years quick and that kicking style, once seen as a huge liability (including by me), is now an absolute weapon. Absolute joy to watch.
-MOC - his shut down work on Warner et al was super impressive. Freed up Blitz
- talking about Blitz -was equal BOG for me with Danger. Going to be a nightmare for more established rucks if plays like that. Wouldn’t be surprised if you see defensive rucks against Mark - a say a Powell Pepper type who can stop Mark running off.

- Simpson- might be struggling to get into our best 22 but his style fits seamlessly with our A game.

- While the fwds all benefiting from a fitter, competitive midfield - the execution was brilliant, particularly in dewy:greasy conditions, they are one super talented bunch of players.

Last edited:
My God Kolo’s last 5 games for this club have been up there with Tom Stewart.

He’s been outrageously good. Just sensational again tonight. His fumbles and bumbles are completely vanished. Also looks about 5 yards quicker as a result.
Agree on basically all of this but I would add an asterisk to the bolded. His fumbling and complete brain implosions were mostly limited to finals - until his imperious 2022. And even then, he had a bunch of strong finals previously receiving coaches votes but the memorable blunders in a handful of others stuck in our minds. Has been a dependable albeit imperfect player for a long time, improving incrementally each season.

I said it as soon as Taylor and then Henderson retired that this would help Kolo out greatly. His role being elevated and losing a couple of slower players around him i.e Geelong's defence became more mobile with Kolo as one of the "rocks". It seems to have also aided his confidence in being a genuine rebounder rather than a stopper. Sometimes you need the best balance of players in a line to get the maximum from an individual and I absolutely believe that's been the case with Kolo taking the last steps in his progression.

Don't think it's a coincidence that we haven't lost a game since he's come back into the side. He's helped shore up our backline and helped free Sav up a bit to concentrate more on intercept marking instead of choosing when to do that and when to defend his direct opponent.
100%. We've taken for granted just how solid Kolo makes a defensive unit and he's not missed too much to test that out. But with Sav in I agree the effect is two fold - what Kolo brings himself and the knock on effect his presence has on Sav as an intercepter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm concerned with Guthrie. Gets the ball but seems to be lacking any explosiveness, I think he might be injured/underdone
Game time in the 60s % wise suggests that. Well below old man Dangerfield who looks in ripping nick. Cam is still finding the ball lately to his credit but a lack of confidence in the body can translate to skill errors and the like. Unfortunately with Parfitt's drop in form and Bruhn not looking ready we aren't blessed for replacements. Especially if Blicavs is being relied on more in ruck. I'd back Cam in to battle through and end up closer to his best as the season goes on. We just couldn't rest him in the run following 0-3. Maybe vs Tigers or Dockers?

True but it doesn't excuse their midfield. They were abysmal.

You look at their recent form - smashed by Melbourne, overran a Richmond team stocked with kids who handed them goals through mistakes, then annihilated by us. Maybe they aren't as good as everyone thinks.
They were always a good but not great side in my view. Like everyone except for Geelong in the top 8 last season. Their fixture list isn't the worst and I expect their SCG form to be strong with the Port game an aberration, but they are a step behind Collingwood this season, who look to be making the next step.

Hawkins is cooked, we’ve fallen off a cliff, Danger is content with his flag and lost the passion.

(sorry, I’m looking for this the post round 2, 2023 thread, have I come to the right place?)
There were SO many bad calls. A collective losing of the mind. Good sides and players bounce back. Form temporary, class permanent and all that.

Hawkins 14 goals, 8 assists (3.7 a game...matching 2022) - equal 4th for direct goal contributions in the comp - as fitness continues to grow.

Dangerfield 24 possessions a game, 10th in the comp for clearances, 11th for score involvements (5th among midfielders) and 2nd for goal assists - likely Brownlow votes in 3 of the 6 games.

If that's cooked, sign me up for dinner please.

I honestly don’t understand the negativity towards King at times - in the clip in question he indicated our midfield would have to lift- which is exactly what any level headed Cats fan would have also thought.
I don't mind him but like most of them he cannot help wanting top be first with the big statement.

There were SO many bad calls. A collective losing of the mind. Good sides and players bounce back. Form temporary, class permanent and all that.

Hawkins 14 goals, 8 assists (3.7 a game...matching 2022) - equal 4th for direct goal contributions in the comp - as fitness continues to grow.

Dangerfield 24 possessions a game, 10th in the comp for clearances, 11th for score involvements (5th among midfielders) and 2nd for goal assists - likely Brownlow votes in 3 of the 6 games.

True, but this is uncharted territory. Historically sides reach a certain age and that's it. There's never been a side as old as last year's Geelong to win the flag. That's where the management is so critical - and top of the list is Dangerfield not needing to play full games anymore. Also why for me Atkins, Close, and Miers are unbelievably important. And it's no coincidence as they've returned to form so has the team.

Dangerfield is currently $51 for the brownlow
Chuck a sneaky $5 on him

True, but this is uncharted territory. Historically sides reach a certain age and that's it. There's never been a side as old as last year's Geelong to win the flag. That's where the management is so critical - and top of the list is Dangerfield not needing to play full games anymore. Also why for me Atkins, Close, and Miers are unbelievably important. And it's no coincidence as they've returned to form so has the team.
That is a good point. I was leaning on Holmes, SDK, Ratugolea, Z.Guthrie, MOC, Close, Miers, Atkins, Stengle, Bowes, O.Henry and J.Henry (when he's back) as a group giving us plenty.

I've pretty much liked Zuthrie, MOC and Miers seasons from the start, Holmes not far behind but definitely stepping it up the last 3 games. O.Henry and Bowes as new players in an adjustment period have been decent enough. Ratugolea has showed good signs in the new role, while it was a slower start for SDK (he had a lot of knocks to be fair), Atkins and Close.

But that is a group of 12 players who are young enough and can improve. Cameron, Stewart, Kolo in their prime - same as C.Guthrie but he isn't quite right at the moment. Then the ageless veterans in Dangerfield, Hawkins, Smith, Duncan, Rohan, Blicavs and Stanley (how are the last two players 32?!) and Tuohy (there are some concerns for him so far). The thing is most from that latter group are still playing well but I agree player management/rotation will be crucial.

I still think it's a pretty good, non-cliff list profile in terms of age. The end will come - I hope I'm wrong - when Dangerfield and Hawkins retire. Special players.

89 of those points against came after we downed tools against WCE...

Barrett can talk down Sydney all he wants they were depleted but was he talking them down last week when they smashed Richmond?
If he was fair play but all I heard after that game was how impressive their kids are and how its their kids improvement that will push them to a new level this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back