Traded #30: Patrick Ryder - Returns to the club as Indigenous Player Development Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Im actually excited at the prospect of him leaving now, provided we get a good trade of course. Think I'll actually be disappointed if he stays

Richmond fans fell back in love with Martin pretty quickly. The fences can be mended very easily. I think the current circus says much less about Ryder and much more about where the game is going in general.

We are going to see a lot more contracted players (from all clubs) playing the field in coming years.

Richmond fans fell back in love with Martin pretty quickly. The fences can be mended very easily. I think the current circus says much less about Ryder and much more about where the game is going in general.

We are going to see a lot more contracted players (from all clubs) playing the field in coming years.
Great post. Emotions can be pretty prone to the windsock effect in these sort of scenarios.

I can't countenance a situation where I'd actually look forward to Ryder's departure though- he's our best ruck. If he leaves it's a huge loss, no matter what we get back.

How would you feel if he went to Port or Sydney instead of Brisbane? Are you more sympathetic to him going to Brisbane and somewhat understand it because his fiances family live there and he would be out of the fish bowl? You just want the best deal for your club and don't give a s**t where he goes now?

Great post. Emotions can be pretty prone to the windsock effect in these sort of scenarios.

I can't countenance a situation where I'd actually look forward to Ryder's departure though- he's our best ruck. If he leaves it's a huge loss, no matter what we get back.

Most people are fickle by nature.

Most people are fickle by nature.

It's more emotional resilience and pragmatism. Supporters increasingly have to get hard nosed about this stuff - the increased professionalism of the game is eroding the value of loyalty.

I couldn't sleep in 2008 when Collingwood nearly had Brown signed and sealed. Now 5 years later I was over the Go Home 5 within a day. It sucks that you can't emotionally invest in players to the degree you used to, but that is where the game is going.

You go to the League Unlimited forums and it's almost depressing how pragmatic the supporters have become in that code. Will suck if our game gets that businesslike.

Last edited:
How would you feel if he went to Port or Sydney instead of Brisbane? Are you more sympathetic to him going to Brisbane and somewhat understand it because his fiances family live there and he would be out of the fish bowl? You just want the best deal for your club and don't give a s**t where he goes now?

Best deal for the club.

Happy for him to go to Brisbane. Would hate to see SYdnet get for the obvious reasons.

I think most Essendon supporters just want a fair deal for him if he does leave.

I guess that is the only reason if I were Essendon I would push the legal action on the get out clause. Not force him to stay, but make sure we got a fair deal for him.

Inside Football writer (don't know who) was saying on SEN the asking price for Ryder from Ess is a high first rounder and established player, which is scaring off a few clubs. Didn't mention the ooga booga clause until Dr Turf brought it up

I think clubs would be nuts to rely on that, and it's no coincidence general chatter has stopped about that, outside of football fan forums and SEN presenters. I tend to think that the minute it became a multi club process the clause went out the window. You can't be playing hardball on a clause like that when there's every danger the player and Ess will just come to terms with someone who'll take him from under your nose.

At the end of the day though, Connors achieved exactly what he wanted. A vigorous, public, inflationary debate about Paddy Ryder moving on, which will earn him a very nice fee whether he stays or goes

I have a feeling that article was co written by Finey, he's expressed similar thoughts before. He might not have written the words but he must believe them to be true. Not that we can read too much into that.

I have a feeling that article was co written by Finey, he's expressed similar thoughts before. He might not have written the words but he must believe them to be true. Not that we can read too much into that.
this wasn't an article, just an "expert" brought in to talk trades. Definitely wasn't Finey. I certainly wouldn't read much into it in any case, but it got me thinking about how the chatter has dropped off, and the focus has definitely shifted to deals; and the mechanics of trying to hold out for a clause that can't be activated until November, along with all the other associated uncertainty, when you know that other clubs are sniffing around him too and may just decide to offer a pretty good deal and you're left with your metaphorical dick in your hand

Im actually excited at the prospect of him leaving now, provided we get a good trade of course. Think I'll actually be disappointed if he stays

I'm not excited that he's leaving. I would love for him to stay and I think that it's a shame that he feels like he needs to leave, for whatever the real reasons are. We're losing a player and one of the main reasons seems to be the complete drain that is caused by daily living with the ASADA issue. That has caused many to have crazy moments on an internet forum, I can only imagine that you would be impacted significantly more in real life if you were the player or family of the person going through it.

I know that I am in the minority here but I wish Ryder all the best. He doesn't seem like a person who is looking to screw the club, he's just looking for a way to make a change for his family. He has hired a campaigner of a manager and he hasn't probably done everything the way we might have wanted him to, but I'm not going to hold that against him.

Like most here, it's about now that I genuinely feel like he's leaving.

I think he is leaving as well which is really sad. I really hope he stays but I just can't see that happening. I hope he goes to a club that makes him happy. That has to be Brisbane. His intention for leaving was to be close to family and that's in Brisbane.

I think he is valued at a top 10 pick. He is a gun. Best ruckman in our club, best set shot and can be a big game player. JUST entering his prime, has five awesome AA type years ahead of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not excited that he's leaving. I would love for him to stay and I think that it's a shame that he feels like he needs to leave, for whatever the real reasons are. We're losing a player and one of the main reasons seems to be the complete drain that is caused by daily living with the ASADA issue. That has caused many to have crazy moments on an internet forum, I can only imagine that you would be impacted significantly more in real life if you were the player or family of the person going through it.

I know that I am in the minority here but I wish Ryder all the best. He doesn't seem like a person who is looking to screw the club, he's just looking for a way to make a change for his family. He has hired a campaigner of a manager and he hasn't probably done everything the way we might have wanted him to, but I'm not going to hold that against him.

Agree with all of that, except that I still don't think he's leaving.

Agree with all of that, except that I still don't think he's leaving.

Its gotten pretty far down the line mate in that he his touring facilities. The harpy at fairfax has him out the door and she does have pretty good contacts. She knew about the meeting with Campbell so she either talked to the club and we feel he is leaving or she spoke to the manager who speaks on behalf of ryder and he said he's leaving.

My excitement isn't from having any ill will towards Ryder. I have nothing against him either, and I wish him all the best. Obviously a top bloke and he deserves to be happy. Maybe its even him I'm excited for a bit too. But I think I'm more excited about the prospect of getting a good, loyal player and a draft pick that could turn into anything. I love essendon and want players that want to bleed for the club no matter what.

Its gotten pretty far down the line mate in that he his touring facilities. The harpy at fairfax has him out the door and she does have pretty good contacts. She knew about the meeting with Campbell so she either talked to the club and we feel he is leaving or she spoke to the manager who speaks on behalf of ryder and he said he's leaving.
Xavier?

As for him speaking to other clubs, I'm not too concerned.

He's clearly considering it, but a lot of players have over the years.

Brown (to Collingwood), Martin (to QLD), O'Keefe (to VIC) and plenty of others have all genuinely entertained the thought of going to other clubs, and in the end weighed it up and decided that their existing club and mates are worth more than a little bit more money (also keep in mind that he will get offered more to stay with us, now).

don't care where he goes as long as we get satisfactory compensation... all the media reports from "reliable sources" on the reasons he wants to leave could be completely wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.. we should shop him to every single club in the leauge and take the best offer.. no matter what! this get out clause is, I'm sure a ploy to get us to co-operate with his destination choice..

if Connors and patty want to take the "NBA" style of getting more money and forcig a trade, then I would love our club to take the NBA owner stance in this situation, and take the maximum offer. trade him to melbourne if they offer the most!

Finally justified his contract and now apparently wants an increase.

Makes sense.

I don't think this view is completely fair. He's been a consistently good player holding down key posts from his first year.

We've always expected him to play mega-star football. Now that he basically is I've got now problem with paying him the money that reflects hos worth.

The issue is the way he has decided to pursue the pay increase (if that is what this is about and the extremity of his actions suggests that this is about much more than money).

Assuming Paddy goes, and we get cleared, either tomorrow, or down the track, then the loss of a key player should be pinned, at least in part, on ASADA. Their (in this case successful) attempt to instil fear to (unsuccessfully) eke out admissions of guilt, as well as the resulting 20 month media circus has supposedly been a major factor in Paddy wanting to leave. I don't know how you quantify the damages that result from the a loss of a key player, but I'm sure someone will be able to throw a figure up.

I suppose the other side of the coin is that if hadn't have injected our list with stuff that we cannot absolutely vouch for, then we wouldn't even be discussing the possibility of him moving.

TBH, I don't blame Paddy if he wants to leave to get away from this whole mess. I cannot begin to imagine the toll that this would have taken on him and the other players over a 20 month period. Between the uncertainty of what was actually administered (which we can't tell him) and a fishbowl existence, which is already at stratospheric levels for AFL footballers without the added bonus of a 20 month and counting 'drug scandal,' life would be pretty tumultuous.

If it turns out that Paddy just wants more money, then disregard everything i've written above, and we should basically do what Richmond did with Martin. Your contract is for $500,000 and that's what you're going to get paid. If you want to leave to get more money, then fine, but it will be for a fair price.

Having said that the 2 scenarios aren't mutually exclusive, he could want to leave for all the reasons that have been thrown up in the media, but at the same time want to get paid more, in which case, I don't know what to think.

Anyway, end ramble.

A question if Ryder chooses Port, if he wants to leave (which I think he will stay at Essendon as Connors is the lowest of low as a player manager in the AFL) what would Essendon want from us for him? Pur 1st rounder would be on the table that's a given,but you won't get any of our core group which is the starting 22 from Saturday night, plus a few more.Our recruiters won't risk upsetting any of our leaders for a trade, or would a Shaun Burgoyne deal we got with picks, and few swaps of picks suffice? I don't agree with Connors playing this game with Paddy as obviously he leaked the story out.And also good luck with Friday lads as you fans don't deserve to go through anymore of this nonsense, let alone the players as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back