Traded #30: Patrick Ryder - Returns to the club as Indigenous Player Development Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

How would you feel if he went to Port or Sydney instead of Brisbane? Are you more sympathetic to him going to Brisbane and somewhat understand it because his fiances family live there and he would be out of the fish bowl? You just want the best deal for your club and don't give a s**t where he goes now?

Whoever offers the best trade, and with many clubs interested me thinks we will be able to flesh something out that will benefit us!

The more I think about and with all the info that has come out I have come to the conclusion that this has come about because Brisbane made a enquiry to Connors about Ryder and during this discussion obviously a significant pay increase was mentioned. This was passed on to Paddy who then decided he wanted to explore the option and not to look like he was chasing money came up with the story of the wife/family reasons but this has turned out to be bs as its obvious he is now seeking the best money he can get right now, wherever that may be.

He is probably at the age now where he has the highest earning capacity and maybe he has concerns about future earning potential after footy. But money is clearly the only factor here.

A question if Ryder chooses Port, if he wants to leave (which I think he will stay at Essendon as Connors is the lowest of low as a player manager in the AFL) what would Essendon want from us for him? Pur 1st rounder would be on the table that's a given,but you won't get any of our core group which is the starting 22 from Saturday night, plus a few more.Our recruiters won't risk upsetting any of our leaders for a trade, or would a Shaun Burgoyne deal we got with picks, and few swaps of picks suffice? I don't agree with Connors playing this game with Paddy as obviously he leaked the story out.And also good luck with Friday lads as you fans don't deserve to go through anymore of this nonsense, let alone the players as well.

I think this is the problem Port will face, rumors have been we're asking for a high first + an established player. Your first rounder isn't high and I can't see you wanting to change your best 22 too much even if Ryder helps fill a need.

Swans, Brisbane, GWS, GCS etc are all in a better situation when it comes to trade bait.

I think this is the problem Port will face, rumors have been we're asking for a high first + an established player. Your first rounder isn't high and I can't see you wanting to change your best 22 too much even if Ryder helps fill a need.

Swans, Brisbane, GWS, GCS etc are all in a better situation when it comes to trade bait.

That's the issue I agree.We won't give up any of our core and I can't see any of our lads wanting out atm.We have re-signed basically everyone and their all happy which is a great spot for us to be in, as long as he doesn't end up at Sydney the comp will implode if that happens

I'm now of the firm opinion that if we do not get adequate compensation for him leaving, that is a first round draft pick and a player, Essendon should let him live wherever he likes. Only issue will be he won't be playing AFL for 2 years. As it stands he is contracted and required. Other clubs should be forced to pay full price.

That's the issue I agree.We won't give up any of our core and I can't see any of our lads wanting out atm.We have re-signed basically everyone and their all happy which is a great spot for us to be in, as long as he doesn't end up at Sydney the comp will implode if that happens

I'm banking on Wines or Wingard wanting out after this finals series*

*i realise there is 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance of that happening

If it turns out that Paddy just wants more money, then disregard everything i've written above, and we should basically do what Richmond did with Martin. Your contract is for $500,000 and that's what you're going to get paid. If you want to leave to get more money, then fine, but it will be for a fair price.
Difference is other clubs actually want Paddy. If we told him to piss off most clubs in the league would find room for him.

I still don't think Paddy will leave, but if he does, and goes anywhere other than Brisbane, then he is a complete twat.

Yeah that deal would require a starting 22 player and second rounder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whoever offers the best trade, and with many clubs interested me thinks we will be able to flesh something out that will benefit us!

Maybe, maybe not. If he only wants to go to Brisbane you won't. If he's happy to play anywhere BUT Essendon you will. That's the problem when players come out and nominate a club, not that Paddy has, you will never get a fair deal.

Difference is other clubs actually want Paddy. If we told him to piss off most clubs in the league would find room for him.

I still don't think Paddy will leave, but if he does, and goes anywhere other than Brisbane, then he is a complete twat.
Thing is, we still don't have any direct confirmation that it's a move to QLD / Jess' family that's the main factor. Reasonable assumption that it's a big factor, but it seems like his main priority is getting out of Melbourne - being around family is a plus for going to Brisbane, but it could well be outweighed by other factors with other clubs - financial or otherwise. Not saying you have to wish him well, but the whole "Brisbane or GTFO" thing might be jumping to conclusions a bit.

Thing is, we still don't have any direct confirmation that it's a move to QLD / Jess' family that's the main factor. Reasonable assumption that it's a big factor, but it seems like his main priority is getting out of Melbourne - being around family is a plus for going to Brisbane, but it could well be outweighed by other factors with other clubs - financial or otherwise. Not saying you have to wish him well, but the whole "Brisbane or GTFO" thing might be jumping to conclusions a bit.
I just don't get what a move to a place anywhere other than Brisbane does for him.

He loves his teammates, he loves his family, has a great relationship with Hird, and he doesn't hate Essendon. Apart from money, what does Adelaide provide him? I mean, he's hardly gong to be Mr. Anonymous over there either, and it's not as if he'll have League on the front page to take attention away from the ASADA scandal.

A Brisbane move I can completely understand. Even Sydney, even though I doubt either NSW club are seriously in the running. But going to Adelaide would either be money or "success" driven... in which case he can get stuffed, IF he leaves for there.

Monfries has told him that he hasn't had to face any media at all in Adelaide over the 'ASADA' crap.. that should be the only thing Ryder needs to hear.

This isn't about Paddy being angry at the club for the program or whatever.. it is about getting away from the daily s**t or oppressive media coverage.

He is gone. Now just need to find the right club with the right deal.

I just don't get what a move to a place anywhere other than Brisbane does for him.

He loves his teammates, he loves his family, has a great relationship with Hird, and he doesn't hate Essendon. Apart from money, what does Adelaide provide him? I mean, he's hardly gong to be Mr. Anonymous over there either, and it's not as if he'll have League on the front page to take attention away from the ASADA scandal.

A Brisbane move I can completely understand. Even Sydney, even though I doubt either NSW club are seriously in the running. But going to Adelaide would either be money or "success" driven... in which case he can get stuffed, IF he leaves for there.
Of course he won't be as anonymous in Adelaide as in Brisbane/Sydney, but it'll be better than Melbourne. And more to the point, what I was responding to in your initial post was "anywhere other than Brisbane", not "anywhere other than a non-AFL state".

Yeah that deal would require a starting 22 player and second rounder.

*top 10 player
*first rounder

We hold literally every card here.

Monfries has told him that he hasn't had to face any media at all in Adelaide over the 'ASADA' crap.. that should be the only thing Ryder needs to hear.

This isn't about Paddy being angry at the club for the program or whatever.. it is about getting away from the daily s**t or oppressive media coverage.

He is gone. Now just need to find the right club with the right deal.

What about his other 21 mates who have to deal with this s**t you don't see them wanting out he can get stuffed Ryder.

Of course he won't be as anonymous in Adelaide as in Brisbane/Sydney, but it'll be better than Melbourne. And more to the point, what I was responding to in your initial post was "anywhere other than Brisbane", not "anywhere other than a non-AFL state".
Surely being surrounded by your mates and being in it as a group supporting each other through the bullshit outweighs going it alone in a state where the media will still partly focus on the saga.

With Caro (so take it with a grain of salt) saying that he wants to go to a team in finals contention, it makes me question his motives of moving to Adelaide and choosing Port.

Of course that's if he leaves, which I think is still in question. We'll know for sure when he sits down with the club again next Monday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back