Operation - Get Sanderson

Remove this Banner Ad

I figured this probably deserves a thread of its own since the news is filtering through a couple of threads off-topic.

We should definitely take advantage of what is a huge mistake by the Crows imo. I really rate Sando as a coach, he brought the Crows back to relevance again in his first season there, and has kept them relatively competitive despite their dramas of the last couple of years.

Get him in imo.

Edit: for clarity, I'm not advocating he take over from Buckley, I mean get him in as an assistant.

Last edited:
Why should we get him in?

What's so special about him that the Crows made such a big mistake? He has failed to qualify for the finals in successive seasons with a pretty good list at his disposal.

What would really burn me is if Bomber Thompson is senior coach at the Crows.

Isn't Buckley contracted?

So what other type of coach can he be?

And isn't there a spending cap on the coaching department now?

I'd have him. But pretty sure he'll be chasing a senior coaching gig.

I figured this probably deserves a thread of its own since the news is filtering through a couple of threads off-topic.

We should definitely take advantage of what is a huge mistake by the Crows imo. I really rate Sando as a coach, he brought the Crows back to relevance again in his first season there, and has kept them relatively competitive despite their dramas of the last couple of years.

Get him in imo.

Mistake by the Crows IMO unless they have someone better lined up to take over? (Bomber?)

But are you suggesting we sack Buckley to bring him in as coach? (Or that we pick him in an assistant or other role?)
I have said all along that if we do decide to sack Buckley, I think it should only be for someone who has shown they are clearly better... Sando hasn't done when you look at his overall time at the Crows.

Sanderson and Buckley are supposedly great friends so he probably would have a talk to him about coming to Collingwood. Wouldn't be surprised if he went back to Geelong though.

Why should we get him in?

What's so special about him that the Crows made such a big mistake? He has failed to qualify for the finals in successive seasons with a pretty good list at his disposal.

What would really burn me is if Bomber Thompson is senior coach at the Crows.
Not sure if the crows made a mistake however he might be useful to us. He has senior coaching experience that would/could help Bucks. He might be able to help us land dangerfield who's contract ends next year and he's a strong chance to come back to Vic. He would be our most experienced coach not including Eade and was an assistant at the time of all three of Geelongs premierships.

He wont be taking buckleys spot, theyre best mates!! Im sure hed make a great assistant to bucks if he misses out on a senior gig next year, the two would work well together

He wont be taking buckleys spot, theyre best mates!! Im sure hed make a great assistant to bucks if he misses out on a senior gig next year, the two would work well together

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last time a coach was sacked and it shocked everyone was when Freemantle sacked Harvey because they had lined up Lyon.

Chances of them having Bomber?

I dunno for sure, but I reckon about 85%.

Sanderson to chase a senior coaching gig but to sign with the Pies as an assistant if nothing comes up. We'll have him for two, maybe three years before he moves on.

My main concern is if we'd be creating that 'boys club' vibe. It's all well and good to promote him based on his merits but if it's done because of friendship then it's a huge trap just waiting for us to fall into. Scott Burns was a similar situation although I think he proved himself as a more than worthy candidate while at the WCE (I think?) and from all reports Sanderson was a great assistant at Geelong, but it's a bit hard to tell for sure.

We absolutely do not want Buckley surrounding himself with sycophants, it would be the worst possible thing that could happen.

Suppose Sando wants to be a head coach again next year, are there any teams who would drop their current coach to have him?

I'd be happy to let him cool his heels as an assistant at the Pies next year until a spot opens up for him as a head coach in 2016.

The last time a coach was sacked and it shocked everyone was when Freemantle sacked Harvey because they had lined up Lyon.

Chances of them having Bomber?

I dunno for sure, but I reckon about 85%.

Sanderson to chase a senior coaching gig but to sign with the Pies as an assistant if nothing comes up. We'll have him for two, maybe three years before he moves on.

Mark Williams could be another option surely.

Suppose Sando wants to be a head coach again next year, are there any teams who would drop their current coach to have him?

I'd be happy to let him cool his heels as an assistant at the Pies next year until a spot opens up for him as a head coach in 2016.
Gold Coast?

Lappin gone, bring in Sando, that's a pretty good trade. He'd only get a job as an assistant.

Has a senior coach been sacked unexpectedly and got a senior job the next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back