Toast Four Players make AA Squad from the Cattery

Remove this Banner Ad

#1 in contested marks
#1 in marks i50
#2 in goals.
An absolute beast in 1 on 1's. If he played for another team I'd be very nervous anytime a defender was one out with him.
Apparently not enough for the FF spot, gotta get golden boy Riewoldt in there somehow.
Some pretty solid stats there.

Maybe as a part of the process they should canvas the top opposition players in each line to gives votes on who the toughest opponent was that year. So survey the top 10 players that play predominantly in the one position... I don't know just a thought, as the players would probably give a better perspective than a bunch of has-been spectators on a panel.

My gut is if you canvassed the top two key defenders from each club they'd rate Hawkins more difficult to play on that Riewoldt, unless they'd rather look like they have schoolboy strength getting rag-dolled than having to run.

Seems like 3 things…

1 - AA committee watched but never really saw a game Hawk played all year.
2 - Cant read any of the stats sheets that they use each week
3 - AFL Media, staff and all involved are just tired of Geelong.

GO Catters

Seems like 3 things…

1 - AA committee watched but never really saw a game Hawk played all year.
2 - Cant read any of the stats sheets that they use each week
3 - AFL Media, staff and all involved are just tired of Geelong.

GO Catters
Don't get me wrong, I rate Riewoldt very, very highly but I don't remember Riewoldt single-handedly turning a game like Hawkins did in the last quarter, last week. Let alone it being a knockout final, truly was herculean effort. Of course that's not enough to base an AA selection but I just can't see how the best power forward in the game doesn't make AA.

Don't get me wrong, I rate Riewoldt very, very highly but I don't remember Riewoldt single-handedly turning a game like Hawkins did in the last quarter, last week. Let alone it being a knockout final, truly was herculean effort. Of course that's not enough to base an AA selection but I just can't see how the best power forward in the game doesn't make AA.

The thing is, it wasn't the first time he did it either - his last quarter against Hawthorn in Round 5 pretty much decided that contest. His first game against North when he threw Thompson around like an eight-year-old wasn't far behind it.

The current All-Australian selection panel is Gillon McLachlan (chairman), Mark Evans, Kevin Bartlett, Luke Darcy, Danny Frawley, Glen Jakovich, Cameron Ling and Mark Ricciuto.
It's a media-owned event.
The story is more important than the facts.
No controversy = no sales for the selectors' employers = no advertising revenue for the boss = no jobs for the selectors.
Yes, its controversy for the sake of it.
Every year there's 1 or 2 decisions based on reputation and past glories than actual output.
Or they just look at the sats sheet

Hawkins will be selected. They love stats, and Hawk is miles clear for marks inside 50, and contested marks. And of course he is top 3 for goals.

Firstly, Hawkins should have been AA full forward.

Secondly, while being annoyed he is not, I am thrilled that this debate is even happening, after he was a cripple last year and some were wondering if he'd ever be able to return to anywhere near his best.
In light of poor Dawson searching out third and fourth medical opinions on his back in an effort to continue his career.... and after watching Hawk last year.... to now watch him scare the living daylights out of defenders, coaches, and opposition fans... Including getting us within a whisker of an unlikely victory a week ago.... What a relief and what a comeback :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Riewoldt had an amazing year, people shouldn't overlook that. But he was in a wooden spoon side, Hawk is stiff.

Good to see someone recognise that he actually had an awesome season. I fail to see how the fact he was in a wooden spoon side has anything to do with it though, what Roo was able to do in a side which (not sure if you know this, if I wasn't a Saints supporter I wouldn't exactly be eager to watch Saints games) but the ball was kicked 5 meters over his head or would fall 3 meters too short quite often from 5-10 times per game, sometimes more, and no doubt he'd be quite possibly the best pure CHF this year. Franklin at FF, eh, I'd be more inclined to put him up on a flank and give Hawkins the FF slot (then causing problems with 4 KPFs), Hawk very stiff but arguing against Riewoldt is stupid. Easy most marks in the comp and still kicks 50 goals.

On 8 occasions Riewoldt had over 11 marks in a game and a total of 191 in the season? Best in the comp in that stat despite having the worst team kicking to him, incredible effort.
And despite playing in a tem averaging 9 total goals a game, kicked 3 or more 9 times.
Finished with 71 inside 50s.

Hawkins very stiff. But don't undestimate Riewoldt's season.

Last edited:

Mate, 3 out of the 4 wins are directly responsible for Nick Riewoldt's goals, but also his around the ground influence. He not only kicked bags in those three games but roamed and played as an extra midfielder and often would still take intercept marks in the back line.

As I said before, I'm open to the debate that Hawkins could be in over Riewoldt, but this just isn't correct. No Riewoldt this year and we would have had 1 win.

Hey, I just found the AFL's secret team of special players!!!

(Now we can all argue who should and shouldn't be on THIS team! ;))

Shane Savage?

All the guys from the Saints that could be chosen and they chose the guy that had a pretty impressive last half to his season? Bobbed up with 30, 26, 25 disposal games while playing off HB. That doesn't inherently mean anything, but it's an indicator he was involved at least. He impacted games in the last half.

You have so much choice at the Saints for spuds, Savage just doesn't make sense.

Mate, 3 out of the 4 wins are directly responsible for Nick Riewoldt's goals, but also his around the ground influence. He not only kicked bags in those three games but roamed and played as an extra midfielder and often would still take intercept marks in the back line.

As I said before, I'm open to the debate that Hawkins could be in over Riewoldt, but this just isn't correct. No Riewoldt this year and we would have had 1 win.

Shane Savage?

All the guys from the Saints that could be chosen and they chose the guy that had a pretty impressive last half to his season? Bobbed up with 30, 26, 25 disposal games while playing off HB. That doesn't inherently mean anything, but it's an indicator he was involved at least. He impacted games in the last half.

You have so much choice at the Saints for spuds, Savage just doesn't make sense.
I've got no idea, SL- I don't make 'em, I just pass 'em on. :) Was laughing too hard at Dawson and Maxwell, to notice all of the others. ;)

I did notice, though, that there was both a mixture of naughty boys and spuds. Has SS been in any trouble at the Saints?

mate, there's no debate. Hawkins was the better footballer this year and Nick Riewoldt's best football was played quite a few years back. How on earth he made it over a bloke who's in his absolute prime, had an extra 27 scoring shots for 13 more goals, same amount of tackles, 18 more contested marks, more goal assists, and did this all with virtually no other help from another KPF as Vardy was out for the year, Brown, Walker only came into the team for finals . . . is staggering!

Unless the AFL boss (who's a keen Saints man) has had some influence over this decision, move Franklin to CHF, where he's virtually played all year with Tippett coming out of the goal square, Hawkins should have slotted in at full forward.

mate, there's no debate. Hawkins was the better footballer this year and Nick Riewoldt's best football was played quite a few years back. How on earth he made it over a bloke who's in his absolute prime, had an extra 27 scoring shots for 13 more goals, same amount of tackles, 18 more contested marks, more goal assists, and did this all with virtually no other help from another KPF as Vardy was out for the year, Brown, Walker only came into the team for finals . . . is staggering!

Unless the AFL boss (who's a keen Saints man) has had some influence over this decision, move Franklin to CHF, where he's virtually played all year with Tippett coming out of the goal square, Hawkins should have slotted in at full forward.

I'll avoid explaining in detail why that's wrong because it would just be unwelcomed on this board and I wouldn't want to see the reverse in the saints forum.

Suffice it to say, though, that respectfully I think you're a lunatic for holding the opinion that it's a certainty and that Hawkins was a "better footballer." Better forward in a better team, absolutely.

I'll avoid explaining in detail why that's wrong because it would just be unwelcomed on this board and I wouldn't want to see the reverse in the saints forum.

Suffice it to say, though, that respectfully I think you're a lunatic for holding the opinion that it's a certainty and that Hawkins was a "better footballer." Better forward in a better team, absolutely.

Don't get too upset Bobby_ he might have called you a lunatic, but he did it "respectfully".
Hahahahaha :p:p:p:p:p:p

Don't get too upset Bobby_ he might have called you a lunatic, but he did it "respectfully".

I'm not upset, I just love how opposition supporters can stroll on here and throw insults our way and get away with it.

Interesting to note, of Riewoldt's 49 goals, 28 were kicked against the teams outside the eight (57%). In comparison to Hawkins' 34 (50%).
Guess we know which one lifted when it mattered most.

Last edited:
I've got no idea, SL- I don't make 'em, I just pass 'em on. :) Was laughing too hard at Dawson and Maxwell, to notice all of the others. ;)

I did notice, though, that there was both a mixture of naughty boys and spuds. Has SS been in any trouble at the Saints?

I'm just happy the two biggest spuds - Daw and Karmichael Hunt - were included. Still giggling at how Hunt was going to be a 'wrecking ball' that all other midfielders would fear. Only problem was he was s**t.

Did you receive a note from the mods telling you that you used too many emoticons, Fred? Just wondering- it seems that 9 might be too many but 6 is acceptable...

Just trying to work out the rules, here. (oh, rainbows aren't good- maybe 6 rainbows is too many?)
Carry on ;)

Shane Savage?

Saint Luke- this would probably be the reason that SS was included in the team of spuds:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...or-st-kildas-shane-savage-20140720-zv2i4.html

Whoever did the team is obviously not very forgiving- and possibly a Saints supporter?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back