Connecting the dots - Are we on the brink of calamity?

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah ok, thanks. i think any decision to do so at the federal level would come via fiscal purchases and be unrelated to central bank QE though.

Yep I am fully aware of the difference between fiscal and monetary policy. But you are aware of the relationship (and ownership, which is a side issue but controlled by a couple of banks in the Fed Reserve case) of the Fed reserve, Fed treasury and us govt?

In quantitative easing the Fed res effectively "printed money" to buy crap securities, prop up banks AND buy us govt treasuries (from market and also new from us govt treasury), to keep rates low. Congress also had to significantly increase the approved debt limits to do so. This massively increased the liquidity, reduced interest rates and also gave the govt further fiscal policy capability - the two are sometimes more closely interlinked as in this case. thus the us govt had more fiscal funding ability than it would have otherwise had given the circumstances.

Wow so why don't we just print money this way forever and no economy would have any problems LOL - Zimbabwe anyone - it creates massive inflation and destroys the currency (and the us very VERY heavily relies on its $ currency status and levels for its financial dominance (well, in the past lol)). Whilst it can possibly solve short term problems, often just delaying the problem til when the economy is improving and the reversal required to keep inflation down dampens that recovery. However go too far with it and you end up with very major problems, and if the recovery is not as good as expected you end up with even more problems which is where i believe the us economy is heading.

Another question - where did all that money effectively go at such low rates? It did have the desired effect of limiting the effects of the GFC, bailing out banks/markets, but from what I have read/researched the net effect has seen low rate driven market bubbles in real estate and the stock market yet again so soon after the GFC. A lot of the money ended up through companies which rather than expand or repay debt actually did massive stock buybacks, thus increasing their P/E ratios, even more massively their D/E (gearing) ratios and "super" enabling the stock market bubble without actual total revenue/profit increases (due to less shares). Watch what happens when interest rates rise. Note there has been significant lack of consumer driven money flow (revenues to companies) which is something the us economy very heavily relies. there are very many other issues, employment demographics, structure and levels which all have very real implications on consumer spending and much worse so in the coming future (we are in similar boat with some of the structural problems).

And that is just a couple of reasons why it is so interesting as to how they do the next few years given the "quantitative easing" stopping this money printing process. Rising interest rates and less than expected consumer demand - hmmmmmmm - UH OH (in a f'n BIG way). Some think they are fully in the recovery process now and that economically it won't get a whole lot better than it is now (ie their economic problems result from many structural issues not addressed at all), as the full effect of the quantitative easing takes place (ie they just delayed some of the pain of the GFC to "save" the economy and $), and that deferred pain is going to be suffered massively by reducing whatever economic expansion they should be experiencing now and the next few years. Interest rates, GDP and Inflation are going to be very interesting the next few years.

Then there are the very many other issues. One of those is the start of uncoupling the us$ in international trade - Russia and China are now using their currencies for energy and other trade (as of last month) excluding the us$ and its just the beginning - that has big implications for the us $.

Its funny that when you look back through history dominant economies and in particular the currencies (seen as "reserve currencies), they have a lifespan linked to their growth and others growth (think GB, Spain, France, Portugal etc etc etc) - do some research on it and it is very interesting. I wonder what will be the next major "reserve" currency? Additionally the "limits to growth" theory (we do live in a world of limited resources but increasing population) and the many economic life cycle theories and also the growth of China, India, Brazil and also to a lessor extent Russia, and the energy questions and labor questions. They all paint interesting outcomes and IMO the us$ is headed for very major trouble (and also the us economy) - they've had their days in the sun and times are going to change. Anyone who thought it would go on forever is ignoring all economic theory/reality and the very nature of life - big changes are coming, the BIG question is when they will come - when they come the effects will be very VERY fast.

Last edited:
There have been some interesting things happening in the "weapons small arms markets". There has been significant production increases and yet the public (hunters) are complaining bitterly about the 4 fold increase in price over the last few years of large caliber hunting ammunition as opposed to only a 50% increase in "varmint" calibers over the last few years. Similarly for the weapons (large caliber and also military style semi-auto vs low caliber(.22 and less)).

a few points:

- increasing gun controls and expectation of them may be resulting in us public "prepping" mentality - but why buy if you have to relinquish (obviously most have no intention to relinquish)?
- most of the popular large and powerful caliber (and small but powerful from 223/5.56 up - ie large animal hunting calibers) "public" weapons share the majority of their components/parts with military weapons - many of the components come off the same production lines, though there are many dedicated us military production lines
- has there really been a massive increase in use demand of ammunition and military assault weapons by the us armed forces? I don't think there has been increased warring going on the last few years that the us has been involved in, and the us military fighting size is not increasing (it is actually to be reduced somewhat). massive increase in arming the DHS and other govt organisations as well as other interests overseas?
- the small arms industry in the US has very many players and there used to be about 4 dominant players. That changed in 2006-2008 during the GFC when a major consolidation occurred - the "private" equity firm Cerberus CM LP tookover a number of manufacturers including American Heritage, Remington, Marlin, Bushmaster dropping them into the newly formed Freedom Group to take a massive market lead with nearly 40% of the total market and gained entry into the military market.

Some very major stockpiling is going on of weapons and ammunition - probably by both govt (increased weapons to police forces, the massive buildup of weapons with the DHS and also replacement/update models at least to military, and other stockpiling? why this level?) and the us citizen prepping mentality (it is massively increasing)

Last edited:
In quantitative easing the Fed res effectively "printed money" to buy crap securities, prop up banks AND buy us govt treasuries (from market and also new from us govt treasury), to keep rates low. Congress also had to significantly increase the approved debt limits to do so. This massively increased the liquidity, reduced interest rates and also gave the govt further fiscal policy capability - the two are sometimes more closely interlinked as in this case. thus the us govt had more fiscal funding ability than it would have otherwise had given the circumstances.

ok now i see what you're saying. i don't believe there was much of an increase in military spending in this regard, but i can see how what you're saying would be possible. thanks.

Interesting the number of laws in recent years that have been passed - primarily on face value to fight the war against terrorism, but in the finer details all so openly constructed to include "any scenario". Laws that many of their population say are totally in conflict with their constitution (I am not talking in relation the "right to bear arms") - in relation to things like public meetings, confiscation of any material including food from anyone if local enforcement "require it" or wish to "redistribute", search and detainment for any reason or suspicion without requiring a threshold level to be met.

Do some research on the lead into the 2nd world war and a certain dictator and what laws changed in Germany in the 30's.

Why are you personally attacking me yet again, LLHFC? Can you not discuss things without resorting to childish personal attacks?

I will discuss this matter with you further once you start acting like an adult :thumbsu:

Again, I point out how you continuously respond to others who disagree with you in an extremely childish manner.

Hahahahahahaahaha.

Oh, mercy.

People might start discussing issues with you more seriously when you stop being so ******* hypocritical.

Interesting the number of laws in recent years that have been passed - primarily on face value to fight the war against terrorism, but in the finer details all so openly constructed to include "any scenario". Laws that many of their population say are totally in conflict with their constitution (I am not talking in relation the "right to bear arms") - in relation to things like public meetings, confiscation of any material including food from anyone if local enforcement "require it" or wish to "redistribute", search and detainment for any reason or suspicion without requiring a threshold level to be met.

Do some research on the lead into the 2nd world war and a certain dictator and what laws changed in Germany in the 30's.

I can't be sure of the stats, but it seems also we're getting less attacks on Western soil attributed to terrorists, yet the threat of terrorism in our mainstream media seems to be increasing...there's something going on here. These law changes are something to be very concerned about.

Dwindling water supplies are a concern to. Not that governments have anything to do with that, but 1) it increases the redistribution of wealth and 2) it doesn't help the citizens in times of riots etc

I can't be sure of the stats, but it seems also we're getting less attacks on Western soil attributed to terrorists, yet the threat of terrorism in our mainstream media seems to be increasing...there's something going on here. These law changes are something to be very concerned about.

Dwindling water supplies are a concern to. Not that governments have anything to do with that, but 1) it increases the redistribution of wealth and 2) it doesn't help the citizens in times of riots etc

Water, food, shelter and security are the most important aspects/commodities no matter what happens. Perhaps it is a sign of the times that certain investment "guru's" and some that are considered the top end economically seem to be increasing their interests in certain infrastructure - notably water and energy pipelines, railroads, some primary production and renewable areas whilst decreasing their consumer technology weightings. Not outwardly divulged/publicized by them but you can pick up on this through the more general investment publications when they discuss the changing ownership of these types of assets. I realize that some of this opinion may be me more openly looking for these type of trends, but that trend is definitely there.

This creation of 'red alerts' or whatever and the subsequent, following arrests and raids is so obvious. What has actually happened in the last three months, aside from ISIS videotaping some heinous atrocities, that makes Australia more likely to have an attack? I don't get it. Well I do, but...

This creation of 'red alerts' or whatever and the subsequent, following arrests and raids is so obvious. What has actually happened in the last three months, aside from ISIS videotaping some heinous atrocities, that makes Australia more likely to have an attack? I don't get it. Well I do, but...

and this means we're on the brink of calamity?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Water, food, shelter and security are the most important aspects/commodities no matter what happens. Perhaps it is a sign of the times that certain investment "guru's" and some that are considered the top end economically seem to be increasing their interests in certain infrastructure - notably water and energy pipelines, railroads, some primary production and renewable areas whilst decreasing their consumer technology weightings. Not outwardly divulged/publicized by them but you can pick up on this through the more general investment publications when they discuss the changing ownership of these types of assets. I realize that some of this opinion may be me more openly looking for these type of trends, but that trend is definitely there.

yep.

commodities are volatile just look at iron ore as an example. but control the infrastructure relating to these commodities and you will always make money even in a bad market. ie iron ore ports and iron ore rail are more valuable than iron ore deposits. same with water, power and food.

gina and twiggy are moving into the assets you mention both hard and fast.

interesting comment. I am not sure exactly what laws you are referring to. can you explain further?

yep.

commodities are volatile just look at iron ore as an example. but control the infrastructure relating to these commodities and you will always make money even in a bad market. ie iron ore ports and iron ore rail are more valuable than iron ore deposits. same with water, power and food.

gina and twiggy are moving into the assets you mention both hard and fast.

Defensive type stocks - in uncertain economic times are certainly the best hedge if you are that wealthy that you literally cannot divest to elsewhere ($ size, effect on markets and repercussions) - flights to cash can be extremely problematic (devastating) themselves depending on the economic circumstances. So in bad circumstances they will certainly go down, but probably far less than all other investments and very little risk of total collapse (depending on their financing structure). As you say they will always have revenue streams and will always be ahead of all others in their relative worth, and as things improve certainly be among the best assets/fastest improvers.

And those videotapes are hoaxes to boot.
i haven't watched them because i don't really have an interest but the general gist is that there are a lot of question marks from them.

but i get hesitant about calling them hoaxes... assuming these people have families and it's impossible to know what has happened with them... and i put myself in their shoes and if i was down at the pub and listening to some bloke tell me 'the whole thing was a hoax' i'd probably stab the guy in the throat such would be the rage that comes across you.

the one thing we do know is that the propaganda wings are in full swing, and information is getting very muddled. i also know in my own personal self i've never actually felt safer. there was a lot of racial tensions around sydney's eastern suburbs around 10 years ago particularly with lebanese and pacific islanders but that has settled down a lot, particularly after the cronulla riots and i think a lot of people had a bit of a look at themselves and the stupidity.

most of the "tension" is fuelled by the media. the ultimate in divide and conquer.

Which videotapes?
The supposed beheading videos. Farcical. Hunt down some copies and watch for yourself.

Be ready, though, for some cognitive dissonance.

They are that bad. Worse than Nayirah. Worse than WMDs. Blatant propaganda.

The Passenger I'll take my chances that I don't run into Foley/Sotloff/Haines parents at the pub. Though if I did run into the Foleys, I'd happily tell them that I know they are frauds. They have committed high treason against their nation and if the US ever woke up (which it won't), they would be put before a court and asked to explain themselves.

Don't believe me. Watch the videos yourself. They are ******* laughable.

interesting comment. I am not sure exactly what laws you are referring to. can you explain further?

I have read many different things from different unrelated sources and thus it was generalised comment. Damn, I will go back through some of them and properly verify the law amendments to give some relevant examples (well, at least for myself anyway) - certainly not going to state something specific someone else has said until I have got suitable verification link. Prism might put me on a list for disparaging comments - lol I probably already am on a list for stating my belief their economy has serious troubles ahead (and also ours and everyone's economy).

Perhaps I should just continue doing my research, data investigation, reading others analysis and keep my interpretations to myself and not cause any type of "blip" anywhere. Economics has large "herd mentality" and "faith" aspects (and which governments very much rely on) and there is always the distinction between believing something is going to happen (obviously big question is also "when") based on ones experience and research, and then mentioning it to others and thus possibly contributing to an outcome (in effect or speed) due to that "herd mentality" aspect (even if it is an infinitely minor effect). Obviously weighing that against any type of personal obligation we feel to others to do so. Everyone is ultimately responsible for their own future financial position - and to some extent if naivety causes major pain to very VERY many people, realistically that is their problem - "we all get the government (and their use of power) that we deserve".

As an aside the Patriot Act certainly gives many interesting powers and discretions to executive government and its full form seems to get "automatically rolled over" by Congress, even though those in power gave timelines for retracting certain aspects.

Last edited:
The supposed beheading videos. Farcical. Hunt down some copies and watch for yourself.

The Passenger I'll take my chances that I don't run into Foley/Sotloff/Haines parents at the pub. Though if I did run into the Foleys, I'd happily tell them that I know they are frauds. They have committed high treason against their nation and if the US ever woke up (which it won't), they would be put before a court and asked to explain themselves.

OK, when you used the word videotapes I thought you were talking about some actual physical tapes like we used to have back in my day.

Why would you want to seek out a video of someone being beheaded in the first place?

Why would you want to seek out a video of someone being beheaded in the first place?
Why would you want to fact check what the gov/msm is forcing down your throat as justification for war, you ask?

Hmmm, good question, let me see...

nayirah.jpg

rumsfeld-on-iraq-weapons-ok-so-we-misstated.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back