Non essendon supporters what if this was your club?

Remove this Banner Ad

It'd be a hard call to make because I've been with them from the start, but if this happened at Freo, and it got to this stage, they wouldn't be my club anymore. I couldn't support a team that risks the long term health of its players, lies to its players, fans & the AFL, and has the nerve to ask for donations to cover up their tracks.

The club doesn't lie or cheat that is what individuals do.
I would want the board and every member of the coaching and medical staff who had any knowledge and failed to act sacked.
We then start again (getting used to that at Freo)

I personally hope they do appeal, because they have dragged it on and made it ugly, they deserve every possible bad outcome that can come their way

Could possible help some of their supporters really open their eyes and see them for what they are

Richard Ings @ringsau · 3h
@uglybustards @TraceyLeeHolmes @ABC_NewsRadio Evidence ASADA is relying on has been shared with the players (according to Little).

*facepalm*

Little just can't help himself. They have already destroyed 2 seasons, why can't they wait till after Grand Final to reveal their decision and further commentary

Oh thats right, its all about him & Hird

There's prob already a thread on this but could see it.....

Say if this was your club, and your club icons involved in this saga would you drink the kool-aid and blindly believe that what ever they said was gospel?

Would you demand the club answer the charge?
It's an impossible question to ask. When your club is attacked as Essendon has been, you forget sense and instantly defend. Your football club is different to anything else, you defend it with everything.

I'd at least be angry at the people involved in the saga and hope they are sacked by the club and suspended indefinitely by the AFL.

But I suspect in practice it'd be harder to take the moral high ground....

I'd be imploring the club to just end it and stop the legal crap.

I'd expect those in charge to step down.

I would not stop supporting the club.

I'd not be posting very much outside my team board.

Im amazed more (if not all) Essendon supporters arent demanding a full cleanout of everyone and start fresh

I would hate to see Carlton try so desperately to hang on to someone like Kouta or Sticks (or Ratten) for the sake of god knows what, especially after how they've behaved after it all broke

I'd be sad for the players and would be happy to let the show cause/potential infractions play out the way they should, but I couldnt understand how anybody in the administration that handled this whole thing so terribly could be allowed to step back in to the club.

You might be a club legend, but you're far from competant when it comes to running a footy club obviously, or you're a blatant filthy cheater. Its either one of or the other for the Essendon admin, I'm amazed theyre trying to save it.

What did Carlton supporters do with the salary cap saga. We threw out everyone involved post haste.
No you didn't.

Elliott was tossed out far too late (had he gone earlier I reckon you'd have been spared). In fact the ASIC were about to disqualify him from being a company director so it was anything but "post haste". Other salary cap cheats like Kernahan were kept and worshiped.

Plenty of Carlton supporters still deny the club did anything wrong, or at best were doing what "everyone else was doing". Plenty still think the club was a victim.

Sound familiar?

No you didn't.

Elliott was tossed out far too late (had he gone earlier I reckon you'd have been spared). In fact the ASIC were about to disqualify him from being a company director so it was anything but "post haste". Other salary cap cheats like Kernahan were kept and worshiped.

Plenty of Carlton supporters still deny the club did anything wrong, or at best were doing what "everyone else was doing". Plenty still think the club was a victim.

Sound familiar?

The reality of the liberties we took with our salary cap are often overlooked in the light of the penalties. Three out of the four blokes we paid outside the cap werent going to leave anytime soon. Fraser Brown, SOS and Bradley were about as ironed on as players could get, if another club could have pried them away from us they'd have to have exceeded their own cap to do it.

Storm in a tea cup really.

anyone even vaguely involved can gtfo.

had albert simply stood aside early doors and accepted that this happened under his watch- we would all be feeling sorry for him.

If my employees are doing dodgy stuff and get caught- I cannot simply proclaim I didnt know.

Short term pain for long term gain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd demand the coach and board be sacked immediately.

No question.

I personally would not care if it were Lenny Hayes and Robert Harvey who orchestrated it, their posters would come down from my walls, and I would be demanding they are terminated immediately, as I am sure many other supporters of my club would. Yes there would always be those who fail to see the real truth, at every club, but something like this has the potential to bury a club, so nobody would be safe regardless of stature at my club if they were stupid enough to do the same thing.

It's an impossible question to ask. When your club is attacked as Essendon has been, you forget sense and instantly defend. Your football club is different to anything else, you defend it with everything.
Was waiting for an Essendon person to say this, but the answer for me and almost everyone on here is if it was the Bulldogs and say Grant as coach id be outraged they have put my club in this predicament, would either one follow another side or 2 just follow the mighty Storm only.

Was waiting for an Essendon person to say this, but the answer for me and almost everyone on here is if it was the Bulldogs and say Grant as coach id be outraged they have put my club in this predicament, would either one follow another side or 2 just follow the mighty Storm only.
Real easy to say from the outside and in hindsight.

I suspect just about everyone would react in precisely the same way Essendon supporters have reacted - hope and support their club until it was actually proven doping occurred

Which hasn't happened yet with Essendon

Like a poster above said, it's easy to be high and mighty when it's only a hypothetical

I'd also add there's no "Essendon gene". You don't support Essendon because you're a particular type of person with particular homogenous traits. I reckon a lot if people ITT are kidding themselves

Q - If this were my club?

A - It depends on how you view a sports/footy club.

One definition states that a sport is usually governed by a set of rules or customs which serve to ensure fair competition, and allow consistent adjudication of the winner. This definition is the essence of what this whole ASADA thread/debate is all about.

Back in the day, the sporting raison d'être was never about winning at all costs, but was about instilling sportsmanship and discipline, which is what we wanted our kids to experience as part of growing up to be well-rounded adults. But when a sport morphs into an entertainment dollar-driven TV business, the core sporting values go west. And that will be the death, in due course, of that business, except for some niche audiences. We are getting to that point to some extent here in the States re NFL and NBL due to the thuggery and the gangsta culture. I mean, how many kids do you know aspire to be WWE wrestlers?

For those who identify with the halcyon days and family values, then you would run a root and branch pogrom through the particular club and cleanse it.

But those amateur sporting days, in footy and many other sports, have long gone, and I kind of have some empathy (not sympathy) for a super athlete like Hird who clearly has lived all his life in the bubble of a being a pampered professional jock (thru his natural sporting talents), and is now probably having a Come to Jesus moment of what it is like to be be exposed to living outside the bubble-wrap inhabited by the sycophants and the hero-worshipers and the business mavens who want to live a proxy second childhood. Hird, and his fans, are having an Enron moment.

Me? I would not support a club which impacts on its youth and its future in the way that we appear to have witnessed here with Essendon (albeit yet to be proven).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back