Delisted #40: Ben Howlett - Not offered a contract for 2018 - 24/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Still no new deal & reports he could be traded... Hope we keep him if that falls through!
I hope he isn't traded, we've never had a sponsored player leave us :oops:

Be a shame, I think he's a useful player and I don't think we'd get anywhere near enough value in a trade.
The trouble is he isn't even that valuable to us, there are heaps of state league players just like him, the only advantage he has over them is a track record of being in the best 22 of a middling side for the last however many years. He's probably worth a 3rd rounder or a fringe player at best, because if we ask for more every other club will just find a Howlett of their own using a PSD pick.

I like Benny but he is a similar player with his output to a lot of other mids we have. Look at Hawthorn. Sewell got dropped as they feared they would get over run. Look at what happened to us in the Kangaroos final. We can't cover Howlett, Watson, Goddard, Hocking & co in the same side. We need to get more pace into our midfield.

Personally, I hope he stays but I wouldn't guarantee him a spot in every game.

Seems with the amount of interest that we could certainly get a fair trade for Ben Howlett. Alot of other victorian teams keen and also the WA sides.

For what i reckon, Richmond, Collingwood and Melbourne would be going hard at him.

Tradeable. It sounds like Carlton have given him an offer well over the odds and he probably wants to take it.

Never great losing anybody but you don't bend too far on these things, similar situation to Crameri.

I reckon we could do better than a straight swap with Garlett - Garlett is finished at Carlton one way or the other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Jeffy Garlett is now just about being considered worth bugger all if nothing. He might not have any AFL clubs chasing him. Thats not to say i wouldnt be happy with him at the dons next year.

Pick 44 and Garlett for Howlett, is that too much?

I think Jeffy Garlett is now just about being considered worth bugger all if nothing. He might not have any AFL clubs chasing him. Thats not to say i wouldnt be happy with him at the dons next year.

Pick 44 and Garlett for Howlett, is that too much?
Way too much.

Pick 24 + Garlett for Howlett +48 would be closer...

Maybe im the only one thats sees Garlett worth literally nothing. Carlton will delist him if no one wants him, will basically be a pick 80 like Geelong got for Chappy.
No.. he is literally worth nothing.

I wouldn't mind him with pick in the 60's.. but nothing more really.. soft, outside player..

Find it a bit bewildering all the people saying they'd like Garlett. He's ******* useless.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves just because he plays for Carlton. 159 goals across four seasons is a clear indication of his talent.

I garlett doesn't have a defensive bone in his body.. and is soft.. but he can kick goals in that small forward role.. and we need exactly that...

Again.. I'm not suggesting you give up anything more than a fourth round pick for him.. but I think there is upside there..

A great clubman who would be happily walking to our biggest rival.

Give me a spell.

Of course, how could I forget? I do want to see him compromise his career earning capacity because he is getting squeezed out of our best 22 and he knows it.

I'm more than happy for him to go anywhere if it means playing 200 games rather than struggling with us for limited opportunities.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves just because he plays for Carlton. 159 goals across four seasons is a clear indication of his talent.

and averaged 80 tackles per year in those years...but he has no defensive bone ok. We only had a handful who managed that many this season.

In fact, at his best I rated him as good as any small fwd in the comp at his best - dont look at his past couple of seasons, he has a serious family issue which needs addressing, a little different but similar to Dempsey's issue - and has not been wrapped in the support Carlton have given him. These guys can go off the boil very quickly, but can return. Garlett is fine to remain in Melbourne which is a big bonus.

For that, a 3rd rounder or later at best - Id prefer a rookie list spot as the demand wont be high, the AFL wont admit it but Rendell was on the money.

We have a similar issue with a player - I believe we are prepared to trade him for the right deal, but the fact he has limited his options to teams who dont want him all that badly have made that awkward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back